Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
I have a bunch of those low memory logs as well, but Safari has never crashed on me, and I'm sure some of my tabs have reloaded, but I don't really notice or care.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
That's lovely, and I retract my question, but is anyone going to reply to me with practical insight or technical insight? I'd like to know why this matters, why it's such a big deal.

Okay :)

iOS 7 on the iPad Air uses around 650-750Mb okey. That leaves around 250Mb for use. With one tab open in safari (apple.com) the overall RAM usage is around 920-930Mb. Even if all you do is web browse(as gaming / video editing would be affected sooner), iOS 8 will most likely be the last OS for the iPad Air. Basically what I am saying is that even if you can use it now without any problems, it is certainly not going to last long, comapired to say an iPad 2 with a stripped down version of iOS 7. It may get iOS 9(talking about the Air) but it would be very limited and would probably bring back memories of the iPad 1 on iOS 5.1.1 .

tranceFusion

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
Unused RAM is wasted RAM.

It's not bad that iOS uses a lot of RAM when idling.

It's only bad when an application requests RAM and it isn't available.

I don't know anything about iOS memory consumption, but just because it uses X amount of RAM doesn't necessarily mean that applications can only use 1GB - X. iOS may very well dump old cache, freeze other processes, etc to service the app in the forefront.

Again, I don't know anything specific about iOS and would love to hear from someone who knows more, but to make an assumption that if your OS idles at 750MB there will only be 250MB free for apps is naive.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Okay :)

iOS 7 on the iPad Air uses around 650-750Mb okey. That leaves around 250Mb for use. With one tab open in safari (apple.com) the overall RAM usage is around 920-930Mb. Even if all you do is web browse(as gaming / video editing would be affected sooner), iOS 8 will most likely be the last OS for the iPad Air. Basically what I am saying is that even if you can use it now without any problems, it is certainly not going to last long, comapired to say an iPad 2 with a stripped down version of iOS 7. It may get iOS 9(talking about the Air) but it would be very limited and would probably bring back memories of the iPad 1 on iOS 5.1.1 .

The iPhone 3GS ran iOS 6 with a mere 256 MB of RAM. My Mini refreshes web pages, but not enough to notice. Maybe I have a lower sensitivity, but it runs all the apps on the store flawlessly (the Air), can play demanding games, and can switch between apps with minimal wait time. I don't see the problem. And of course it will be upgraded past iOS 8, the 4S with runs iOS 7 fine and fully.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
So did you actually buy an ipad, or are you just debating the point without owning one?

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18272562/

2 family members got an iPad Air but I am waiting.

----------

The iPhone 3GS ran iOS 6 with a mere 256 MB of RAM. My Mini refreshes web pages, but not enough to notice. Maybe I have a lower sensitivity, but it runs all the apps on the store flawlessly (the Air), can play demanding games, and can switch between apps with minimal wait time. I don't see the problem. And of course it will be upgraded past iOS 8, the 4S with runs iOS 7 fine and fully.

So do you see an iPad Pro with 2Gb of RAM/iPad air 2 with 2gb of ram?

erawsd

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2011
Of course. I might have expressed myself a bit unclear, what I mean is that I believe it is rather an iOS 7 issue and not an issue of the 64-bit SoCs making 1 GB of RAM too little. That iOS 7 issue could be related to RAM yes, but I find it unlikely that it would use significant more RAM to the point where it is supposed to crash apps. If it is RAM related it seems more likely there are memory leaks and such that Apple will eventually patch.

All I can say is that I'm hopeful that you are right. That it is just a matter of poor optimization or memory leaks.

Marc-SP

Oct 7, 2013
The RAM never limits me. And given my use case (note my signature...) that's saying something.

iDevices have NEVER been about spec checklists. They're about real world usability and practical performance. Not once ever on any iOS device have I encountered a situation where I thought "gee it'd sure be great to have more RAM!" Never.

Well, you did not try enough iOS devices it seems :). With my iPod touch 4g (256 MB RAM) I can't barely change from Podcast app to Music app without sound stoping and reloading the other app form scratch (5 seconds at least). Safari, by itself, hangs in any slightly complex website.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
No, Safari can limit you at times though because it's buggy and iOS7 isn't the most stable. I don't see how people are blaming every Safari crash on RAM. It flys through everything I want it to its enough for me.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I scan books into pDFs and read them on the iPad. A day of testing the air against the three shows no significant difference. in many cases the Air is slower to render a page. Why? The processor is obviously faster. i am guessing it is the RAM. What a shame we only have one gb. I am debating returning it. I am a little disappointed at the performance 1.5 years after the three.

Maybe games would blow my mind, but I want to read books. No minds blown here.

tranceFusion

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
No, Safari can limit you at times though because it's buggy and iOS7 isn't the most stable. I don't see how people are blaming every Safari crash on RAM. It flys through everything I want it to its enough for me.

The reason that people are blaming every Safari crash on RAM is that if you look at the diagnostic log it says that every crash is because of RAM :)

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Not for 99% of the folks that use iPads daily. All of a sudden, power users seem to think Apple is going to cater to them. And besides, I have read here anyways that some of those people use it much more extensively than my needs and they have no problems!

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Test for the iPad Air

Could someone test how many tabs Safari can have open before it starts reloading them?

I did this test on my iPhone 5 with iOS7 by closing all other apps and opening tabs on Safari and loading a webpage.
I could loading 10 tabs of different pages and didn't have it reload once.

I switched to different apps and came back to Safari and it still didn't reload the tabs. I even tried Airplane mode to make sure it wasn't reloading in background, and all the pages remained intact.

The average webpage these days is around 1.5MB according to httparchive.org. So even with 10 webpages open, that is only 15MB. Most apps probably use more than that, so I suspect that something else is going on here.

There must be a memory leak in either 64-bit Safari or some other app that is eating up all that RAM.

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
This is getting to be unbearable. My Safari just keeps crashing. My iPhone 5 NEVER crashes like this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    554.7 KB · Views: 575

joonyaboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
FL
I am limited by whatever causes the tabs to reload. That's the single biggest drawback of the iPad and the only reason that sometimes I will grab the MBP instead.

TmanATL

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2013
I was seriously tempted to get the iPad Air after the keynote. But NOT after finding out it only has 1GB of RAM.....the same amount since the iPad3.

It may not be a HUGE deal right now (though it would certainly perform better with more RAM), but I think it will be 1, 2, 3+ years down the road for sure.

Sham on apple for going with the bare minimum they could get away with and yet still charge a huge sum. Just about all the other competitive tablets have at least 2GB RAM -- and those aren't even 64-bit.

Many of you will say that in a year or two and certainly three you will upgrade to the next model. Well, that's exactly what Apple wants and I'm sure part of the reason they haven't made this model as good as it should be.............

slwiser

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
I was hoping the iPad Air would have an increase in RAM. I currently use an iPad 4 to view and take notes on presentation slides in iAnnotate. My Safari tabs reload every time I switch between the two applications and I do this often (to look up a research report or a definition). It doesn't limit me but it does lower my productivity on a daily basis.

Your productivity will be further reduced if you got the Air.

I would hope the real issue is only a memory leak instead of a stupid cost savings attempt that crippled the Design of the Air.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
3-4 tabs open in chrome and they will have to reload. Same happens to me in safari. I've lost data entered more than once, when switching between apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.