Does the SSD do it's best to spread the data over the disk?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by steffi, Feb 4, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502a

So, does the firmware do it's best to not reuse the same area of the disk for writes? Where is all of that taken care of?

2. macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

3. macrumors 68000

Mindflux

4. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Post of the day!

I hope that the disk controller for today's SSD drives spread writes across the disk. You do raise a good question though. How would we check?

5. macrumors 604

clayj

Hrm.

The OP's point, I believe, is that Flash drives and SSDs have a limited number of rewrites per physical byte, which means that if you run them long enough and the same bytes get used over and over, eventually they can stop working. Spreading the "wear" out would effectively lengthen the lifespan of the entire SSD.

Assuming that's correct, I think I read somewhere that the effective lifespan of the SSDs released late last year was in the decades, something like 50 years or so.

EDIT: For what it's worth, I think you're a lot more likely to suffer a hard drive failure (motor, bearings, etc.) long before SSD byte fatigue becomes an issue.

6. macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Check in windows with defrag ;)

7. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Defragmenting a SSD drive sounds like a death sentence since you're copying so much data in most cases.

You're probably going to need to talk to the controller and examine the translation of logical to physical writes. Failing such technology prowess you can always ask the vendor.

8. macrumors 68000

Mindflux

I didn't say to defrag it, I check it in defrag. Which is pre-defragmentation analyzing.

Since data wouldn't be written contiguously it would make sense that defrag would report fragmentation.