Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
First I'd like to say that I generally don't consider Microsoft to be a super innovative company but I am impressed with the amount of innovation they presented at their keynote. That being said, I still prefer Apple's implementation by far.

The Surface Book's tablet battery life is a huge turn off for me, three hours is no time at all. The design is cool and I love the materials but I also dislike the fact that you have a slightly awkward wedge with the machine closed and a gap between the keyboard and the display. Add that to the price and that kills it for me.

The Surface Pro 4 seems to have a leg up on the iPad in the stylus department, being that it's included and has an eraser and clip. I really wish Apple had gone further with their Pencil... But I really just don't enjoy Windows, and I enjoy it even less on tablets. I find it to be generally very unintuitive and clunky, but I just upgraded my Boot Camp to Windows 10 so they may impress me. From everything I've seen it makes much more sense to expand a tablet OS than downsize a desktop OS in terms of usability and functionality on large tablets.

Just my two cents though, the war should be interesting!

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
Am I the only one who thought of it?
image.jpeg

MarsViolet

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2003
Facts please. I don't know where you get the idea watch os flopped...and iPad pro will flop.
I don't like apple watch..but when you speak on something that may challenged...you need to say with proof. It it's an opinion..then i would understand that, however, you need to say, "I think.." or "IMO."

It’s hard to prove anything when Apple refuses to share its sales figures, but I can offer some anecdotal evidence that the iWatch is a flop. I live in Santa Barbara where people have money to burn and MacBooks are everywhere. I’ve seen exactly one iWatch. By contrast, the day the iPhone was released, half of my friends had them.

As for the iPad Pro: A year or so ago, I saw a good number of iPads in the wild. Nowadays I hardly ever see any. People have gone back to their MacBooks. I don’t think anyone wants a huge iPad.

MarsViolet

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2003
First, i'm glad you stated that it's your opinion.
Second, since it's your opinion, how did it technically flop? What is flop based on? Opinion or state of facts? Or hearsay?
Third, since they happened to you, do you think every experienced the same as you? or is it all individualized?

This same criteria could be directed towards you: How do you know it’s not a flop?

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
It’s hard to prove anything when Apple refuses to share its sales figures, but I can offer some anecdotal evidence that the iWatch is a flop. I live in Santa Barbara where people have money to burn and MacBooks are everywhere. I’ve seen exactly one iWatch. By contrast, the day the iPhone was released, half of my friends had them.

As for the iPad Pro: A year or so ago, I saw a good number of iPads in the wild. Nowadays I hardly ever see any. People have gone back to their MacBooks. I don’t think anyone wants a huge iPad.
Okay..let's say I'll roll with that...there needs to be more samples if we are talking about statistically.

MarsViolet

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2003
Okay..let's say I'll roll with that...there needs to be more samples if we are talking about statistically.

Apple’s not talking, so it’s all speculation and observation, but observation tells me the iPhone and MacBooks are huge successes, the iPad was a pretty big success which seems to be fizzling, and nobody I know has an iWatch or is even talking about wanting one. So basically I’m thinking “uh oh.”

I have this same feeling about the new Mac Pro too. In the past, my friends and I were the guys who always bought the latest towers, but I didn’t buy the new one, and nobody I know bought it either. Again, Apple’s not talking, but I’m thinking “uh oh.” Actually, I was thinking “uh oh” two years ago when it came out and none of us wanted it, because we’re the ones who always want this stuff.

Whatever way it goes, Apple will survive, but I’m not sure I’d go long on Apple stock right now.

MarsViolet

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2003

I agree that to know for sure, we need data, but Apple’s not sharing. I have only my gut feeling to go by based on who I know personally who’s buying this stuff, and I don’t know anyone with the watch or with plans to ever get one. Same deal with the iPad Pro. I know plenty of people with iPads in various sizes, but none of them seem interested in a BIG iPad. In fact, most of the people I know eventually went for the Mini even after starting out with full size models. They want smaller, not bigger.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Latest S class is a flop just because isn't being sold in millions ?
the 5k imac is a flop for the same reason above?
MS band is cheap,is not selling well, is not build to fell comfortable is not a top notch quality build

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
Yes, the iPad Pro will probably be great for artists. I wish I was a painter but I'm not so a Surface Pro will be fine for me :)

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
How are MacBook keyboard awful? I don't think that's true...

It's personal preference. I started out thinking I'd get used to it and ended up really hating it. I sold my excellent late 2013 rMBP and bought an early 2015 rMBP in part because I expect the next update to include a short-travel keyboard and I want a few years of room to see what develops.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Again another reason that Apple will release something to the world only when it's perfect and feel natural to use it
the pencil and iPad pro

http://www.creativebloq.com/adobe/how-drawing-actually-feels-apple-pencil-101517150

Agree 100% with this, as far as I've seen so far from early reviews, the iPad Pro and the Apple Pencil are both great. The Apple Pencil has been highly praised by both Pixar and Disney and if anybody knows anything about drawing and animation it's those guys.

I also feel like Apple have taken their time to perfect the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil rather than rush a device out just because people want it. It's the same with hybrid devices I would rather be told no by Apple because they want to take their time on something, than be told yes by Microsoft and have a rushed device that is not best at anything.

creativeguy504

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2015
Well, to you, it's obvious, but for me it wasn't.
I totally agree with you on the tablet. It seems that MS is actually stepping up and I like that. I just wish they would do that with their MS office apps.

Yeah, I like the fact that Microsoft is stepping things up. I like both Microsoft and Apple for different reasons, and I think competition is good for the consumer. I think it will be interesting to see the consumer reviews on the surface book once it's released. See what people like, don't like, etc.

Reactions: sjleworthy

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
Yeah, I like the fact that Microsoft is stepping things up. I like both Microsoft and Apple for different reasons, and I think competition is good for the consumer. I think it will be interesting to see the consumer reviews on the surface book once it's released. See what people like, don't like, etc.

absolutely.

great to see other tech giants starting to step up to the mark. great for us the consumer. bloody expensive all this stuff, but great choice all the same.

i think it's pointless people in here arguing and complaining about who's the best and what these devices are missing, because there's nearly every conceivable option now available out there for us. you cant please all the peeps all the time. these guys are doing a splendid job and i here so much more negativity in these boards than praise.

personally, for my 9-5 it's powerful pc's and Windows all the way. no ifs and buts.
for more domestic and 'fun' it's Apple devices. no competition.

ipad pro? my first mix into both the above territories :)

Last edited:

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I like the surface book but I think it's wrong to compare it to an iPad pro. It's a laptop that becomes a tablet. The prices are extraordinary.

Reactions: AJsAWiz

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I'm not thinking of the surface book as a device that can do it all. I'm certainly not thinking it will replace my iPad tablet. Rather, I think of it as a fully functioning laptop, that has a touch screen and can function as a drawing pad. As a math teacher, I can use it to prepare handouts and exams in my editor of choice and mark them up with hand drawn diagrams and graphs. I could even use it to accept homework electronically, mark it up, and return it. I could use it to keep a mathematical journal.

The 3 hour battery life when the tablet is removed from the keyboard doesn't bother me, because I won't be using it apart from the keyboard much; either I'll be typing on it or I'll swivel the keyboard around to act as a base for the unit on a desk. I'm thrilled by the battery life it has with the keyboard.

Yes, it will be unwieldy to use it while carrying it around. I can't use my Macbook Air while carrying it around either, that's what my iPad mini is for. Yes, the tablet software isn't up to Apple's standards. The Macbook Air doesn't work as a tablet at all, it doesn't even have a touch screen. I'm not primarily comparing the surface book with my iPad; the surface book is a laptop with some unusual features, and I'm comparing it to other laptops.

Reactions: ElCidRo

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
I have to admit, the Surface Book with its detachable hi res large screen is certainly going to make people think hard about it when pitched against the iPad Pro, especially if they aren't already part of the Apple ecosystem.

I had been planning to buy the iPad Pro myself, along with a Pencil, and replace my Lenovo Yoga 13 sometime later, but I'm seriously going to have to reconsider now. It's not that I'd be abandoning Apple (I've made far too big an investment in my kit to do that) but that the Surface Book would cover a lot of bases that would have otherwise required me to buy two separate products.

Well played, Microsoft. Very well played.
Not for me I am very happy with my MBP 15" what i need is an iPad so I am going to check whose pencil is working better
I am not considering the surface book because of the battery time when you using it as a tablet without the keyboard

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.