Does the update remove all your songs?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Pain, Jul 12, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

Jul 11, 2008
    Does the update remove all your songs off your iPod? If it does, what is a solution if you manually manage?
  2. macrumors newbie

The Messiah

Jan 20, 2008
    It backed up all my songs/videos automatically.
  3. thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 11, 2008
    From the iPod? Does it make a folder? Any idea where it's located?
  4. macrumors 601

Dec 31, 2007
    La La Land
    It did for me. Wish I'd known that before hand,
  5. macrumors 68000

Apr 27, 2007
    Bristol, England
    It takes a back up, then wipes the lot. It then transfers everything back exactly as it was, but with 2.0 software.
    You will need to still have the music on your computer though, as it doesn't backup the files, just a list of the files.
  6. macrumors G4

Nov 3, 2005
    I don't know, somewhere on your Mac.
  7. thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 11, 2008
    I better re-download everything on Limewire, or do something. This is lame. Any ideas? Should I like use those programs that get the songs from your iPod and upload them to my computer?
  8. macrumors 6502

Jul 29, 2006
    As far as I know, it backs up the programs on the system, calendars, contacts, etc. It does not back up the bulk - see music, videos, etc.

You don't have them already on your computer? What happened to your music/who did you steal it from/don't you have a mac with time machine?
  9. macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2005
    New York, NY
    Some people like to conserve hardrive space on their mac by deleting the bulk of their music files from it. This is what I do as I always use my iPod to listen to my music, it doesn't need to be taking up space on my mac as well. I guess I'll have to rip all the songs back to my computer then, send them back to my iPod after the update......
  10. macrumors 601

Jun 18, 2007
    You should prepare for the possibility the automatic 'backup' will fail. It did on mine. It then informed me to continue it'd have to wipe everything. Given all the songs are in my iTunes config, etc., the only thing I lost after all was said and done and resynced were some configuration items. It might be better that it failed, really since if it was truly going to download 14GB off the thing that it has to put back anyway and that are ALREADY on my computer in the form of the iTunes libraries and photo directories, well it's wasting its time duplicating them.
  11. macrumors newbie

Dec 7, 2007
    Um, after my update, iTunes didn't put any media back on. WHich is kinda annoying when you have many thousands of songs:/ But whatever, haha they have me so distracted with the apps that I don't really care.