Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2015
Hello all,

I'm trying to find out if the new BT-controller that comes with the Xbox One S can connect to the new Apple TV or iPad. Does anyone know, or has tried this?

At this point I own a Steelseries Nimbus BT-controller for the Apple TV which works fine. But, I'm thinking about buying a new Xbox One S and if this controller can connect to my Apple TV and iPad because it uses bluetooth I could sell the Nimbus, right I don't need two controllers from different brands.

On the flip side, if this new Microsoft BT-controller can only connect to Windows 10 devices just because they did something special to the firmware I think I can better buy an old black Xbox from last year instead of the new model S.
For some reason I can feel Microsoft do something crazy like this, just because they hired some firmware people that can do stuff like this and they want to show off.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
The apple tv used MFI approved controllers. A generic bluetooth, ps 3/4 or bluetooth Xbox One controller will not work as they don't have apple's MFI approval.

In addition, all the buttons on a MFI controller are pressure sensitive (except for the pause button I believe), while on the Xbox one controller the face buttons are not pressure sensitive. MFI controllers also do not have clickable l/r stick buttons.

Reactions: Bignoff
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.