Does this exist? -printer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gadgetgirl85, Nov 7, 2006.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Hi guys I'm wondering if such a machine exists that isn't TOO expensive (if it does) Something that prints/scans/faxes but prints in colour as well and the speed of laser. Does it exist? or can I only have some of the features in one machine

2. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

Depends how much too expensive is. We recently picked up the HP LaserJet 2840. It retails for $900. There was a sale at staples a few weeks ago and we grabbed ours for $450.

The inkjet all-in-ones are going to be faster and cheaper initially. We print alot, so the economies of laser made more sense, but you might be better off with an inkjet. Take a trip to an office supply store and check them out.

EDIT: ooops... you're in Australia. Those are american dollars... no idea what that converts to. What I said probably still applies, but I bet the prices are different.

3. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

One that can print in colour would be great. Can anyone else recommend any?

4. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

Just to clear this up... in case you didn't understand.

That printer I mentioned does print in color.... errr, colour as you Aussies say. It's a color laserjet. Canon, Brother, and Konica-Minolta also make Color Laser four in ones. They don't get too much cheaper then that HP one though.

If you really are stuck on a color laser and can't afford a 4 in 1 perhaps you could combine a scanner with a normal color laser printer.

5. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I had a look around it looks like I can't afford a laser colour printer so I was looking at a 4 in 1 inkjet there seem some pretty good ones out there that are quick. I suppose I'm used to my old inkjet from 5 years ago that used to take 10 minutes to print 1 page!

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The Canon MP530 should be pretty close to what you want. The ability to FAX raises the price over typical all-in-one machines. If you could scan and FAX from Mac OS X, you could probably save a bit. The ink is fairly economical, but of course, it's not as inexpensive per page as a laser is.