Does this look legit to you all?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by BiggeeC, Jul 27, 2005.

1. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Yeah, but if you have a computer that requires it, what choice do you have?

3. Shasta macrumors member

hmmm

and then there is this comment
    So unless you are shopping for your PC, then no don't get it

Shasta

4. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

Absolutely right. I'm still using my Cube which is actually 100MHz but will recognize the 133 MHz. But I always thought memory modules were interchangeable PC or Mac?

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Not always. Macs are very picky about RAM. It must be comprised of so many chips, some chips just don't work, etc, etc. If you check out some of CanadaRAM's posts, you'll see he mentioned this at least a few times. This is why you always purchase RAM from a dealer that gives a Mac guarantee, not just a standard life-time warranty.

6. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

Macs are notoriously picky about RAM. don't ask me why. i got the cheap bottom of the line RAM for my PB and it worked fine. i got the cheap bottom of the line ram for my brother's mini and it didnt work at all. it has to do with the quality of the RAM i think. large name companies hold their ram to higher specs. whatever they make that ends up falling outside of those specs due to manufacturing issues gets sold for very little to the small name companies. my guess is sometimes these unacceptable lower tollerances work in mac and sometimes they dont. so if someone KNOWS it doesnt work with mac, then dont get it.

7. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

I knew that Macs were picky but thought that there was no actual differences, thanks all.