Does this make any sense?? (iTunes)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rend It, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Rend It macrumors 6502

Lately, I've become more annoyed that the Sound Check feature in iTunes (4.7) and my iPod (3G) doesn't seem to do anything. There are still huge differences in the volume, whether listening on my Powerbook, or through my iPod. Trying to get to the bottom of it, I looked at Apple's support site and found this.

Look at what Note 1 says:

And, of course, all of my songs are in AAC format. If Apple is pushing AAC/MP4 so hard, then why don't they make the Sound Check feature work for those formats?? Any thoughts?

2. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

If this is true...RIDICULOUS.

You're looking at an iTunes 3 help file though. If you look at the iTunes 4 file... it doesn't say one way or the other link.

I find it hard to believe that they would not have implemented this feature for iTunes by now. Strange though that your tunes are playing at different volumes.

3. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

I've noticed the same thing, I have sound check turned on but there are wild variations in volume between albums (far more than can be accounted for by any "averaging" errors).

That would explain why. I've just been assuming the feature was completely broken.

4. Rend It thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I know it's iTunes 3, but I figured since my version 4.7 does the same thing, then it applies. Do you feel like sound check works for you, and if it does, are the files aac? All that I notice when I turn it on is a slight decrease in overall volume. But, there are still drastic volume differences between songs from different albums.

5. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

I haven't had sound check on. At home, it really doesn't matter, and as I don't have an iPod, I don't bother with it. If I had an iPod, I'd for sure use it... if it works.

Ok.. so this thread on apple's website should answer some questions:
    link If the link expires, it was under "fluctuating iPod volume"

6. BigRedBall macrumors newbie

I don't think this is true. I've just used Audio HiJack to record some songs into AAC format, and when I moved them into iTunes, the volume was adjusted automatically (upwards for songs whose original volume was about halfway on the RealPlayer control, downwards slightly for the others).