Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pianodude123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
in the internet
I woke up this morning and was disappointed to see that apple hasnt even said anything about dual cores...BTW, is the expo over, or is there still more to come?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
pianodude123 said:
I woke up this morning and was disappointed to see that apple hasnt even said anything about dual cores...BTW, is the expo over, or is there still more to come?
Expos/Shows generally run a few days and all the new product announcements related to a show are usually announced the first day.

Now about dual core PPC processors - well, it probably means no announcement this week. As for the future, the magic 8-ball says "cloudy, try again".

You need to balance what you want versus what you need, as when as when you want or need a product otherwise you'll never buy anything.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
pianodude123 said:

Is your Dual 2.7 GHz too slow for you? :eek:

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
if they were close to sell a dual core mac they would have announced it with a delivery date in lets say 4 weeks.
since they even cancelled the keynote because they had nothing to announce my guess is that dual cores are at least 2 month away. otherwise thet had introduced them and said available mid october or even end of october. they have done that before.

i would be really surprised if they introduce the ipod nano 2 weeks before the paris expo and a dual core shortly after the expo but nothing at all at the expo.

so i'm relaxing till end of october.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
risc said:
Is your Dual 2.7 GHz too slow for you? :eek:

must be too slow lol i mean i want that file transfer NOW!! and Nanosaur does not play as quick as he likes

jeez - i'd be a very happy bunny if i had PM 2.7

dberg

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2005
what is the return policy for an unopened new mac? Meaning if I order a new 2.3 today, and the 970MP's come out next week, can i safely return the unopened 2.3 and then purchase a 970MP? How many days do i have ?

My big dilemma is the ipod deal ends the 24th so i want to buy a new PM by then, but I am sick of the waiting game for the 970MPs

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
dberg said:
what is the return policy for an unopened new mac? Meaning if I order a new 2.3 today, and the 970MP's come out next week, can i safely return the unopened 2.3 and then purchase a 970MP? How many days do i have ?

My big dilemma is the ipod deal ends the 24th so i want to buy a new PM by then, but I am sick of the waiting game for the 970MPs
Standard configurations can be returned, but check Apple's website for number of days and other details on the return policy.

If you're only buying a 2.3, do you really need the speed of a dual dual core system?

paperinacup

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2005
Do what I am doing..... Buy it online and ship the slowest way possible and just wait until about 12-13 days to open it.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
paperinacup said:
Do what I am doing..... Buy it online and ship the slowest way possible and just wait until about 12-13 days to open it.

you are willing to wait for 4 weeks after ordering. why don't you wait four weeks and order then with fast shipping? :confused:

in both cases you have the mac up and working in 4 weeks. in the latter case you don't have to send anything back if there are updates.

isn't it anyway the best strategy to order at the latest possible timepoint so you don't miss out on pricedrops or updates?

dberg

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2005
andiwm2003 said:
you are willing to wait for 4 weeks after ordering. why don't you wait four weeks and order then with fast shipping? :confused:

in both cases you have the mac up and working in 4 weeks. in the latter case you don't have to send anything back if there are updates.

isn't it anyway the best strategy to order at the latest possible timepoint so you don't miss out on pricedrops or updates?

well my issue, not sure about above, is that the ipod $179 rebate deal ends the 24th so i wanted to get my order in by then.

And yes even though I am ordering a 2.3 , I would still like a dual dual. Not crazy about the liquid coolling in the 2.7, and would be curious to see what price the dual dual's run at.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Bear said:
.................If you're only buying a 2.3, do you really need the speed of a dual dual core system?

are the 970's automatically dual dual core's?

i don't think so. i guess they will be less expensive dual cores that replace the dual g5 at similar speeds with some extra features (larger HD, better GPU, 1 GB or so)

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
dberg said:
well my issue, not sure about above, is that the ipod $179 rebate deal ends the 24th so i wanted to get my order in by then.

ah, i forgot about the ipod mini deal. it makes the machine $179 less expensive.

but i would not take the risk of buying an "old" model (if you really need more power) just to save $179 on a ~$2700 deal (dual g5 2.3 ghz incl. tax, apple care, extra ram).

it's just ~5% of the total expense of the whole system.

and you use this machine for three years or more. so getting what you want and need IMHO outweighs the ipod deal by far.

if you can wait you should wait. i will wait.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Steve did say something along these lines: There are more great things to come with the PPC.

So... I guess it is possible. ;)

Always think positive. A PowerMac G5 Dual 2.7 is more than enough for most people ahem... exlclude iGary, haha.

Malik

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2005
USA
Sorry folks but i might be new to the forum, but i have been watching waith baited breath. Please dont take the following as flame bait but i have to get it off my chest!

I think we should become used to the term 'polished a turd' with Apple for the next 12 months or so. It's so obvious that they are not going to do anything to update the current Mac line-up, at the most you will get minor speed bumps - and a bloody huge banner saying "OMFG NOW 30MHZ FASTER!!!".

Lets face it they are focusing on the iPod because thats the only thing they can make more $$$ out of for now. You are stuck with the G4 & G5 PPC relics for a year.

I don't know why anyone would put up with that, going 'Apple knows whats best' and 'It will all be gravy and nice with Intel' and 'Go Steve! Go Steve! INTEL IS TEH RUL0RZ'. Most people are greeting it with a smile, Apple can do no wrong!!

Apple have taken a dump on current users from a great hight - They couldnt push IBM enough, its more likley a question of price than power. Im sure Apple is going to get a really good price on those Intel CPU's so their profit margins will sky rocket, which will make Steve Jobs happy no doubt and the share holders.

Lets take what was said if you are in doubt...

Schiller observed: “Why do people buy a Mac?”, answering: “It’s not because of the processor. Its because of the operating system, OS X. Intel Macs will feel the same. The transition can be one that is very easy for customers. It wont be a dynamic shift for our customers.”

It's not about the processor? Then why the transition? Why the big boost about the G5 vs Pentium if the CPU made feck all difference. People wanted an alternative Operating System and an alternative CPU. That made Mac. PPC & OSX made apple computers stand out from the average PC. You paid the premium to get PPC which was not available to the consumer anywhere else. Professional level hardware available to consumers! Great! New PowerMac G5 and you have yourself a smart new music studio.

Now its just OSX to compare and Windows Vista will make that look even less 'advanced' no matter how security and worm riddled it might be. Eye candy sells. I can't wait to see what happens to those benchmarks on Apples site... "Intel Mac 4x faster than Intel... oh wait."

So basically, you have 1 year of outdated products to look forward to be buying (for 'cutting edge' prices - cant let Steves profit margin fall now can we?) maybe a handful of speed bumps and finally a death nell for PPC as the new Intel kit arrives. Then you can look forward to that speedy new Intel machine - running a mix of PPC/x86 software for a while, while the transition gets sorted and Steve has a good enough excuse to drop PPC like a hot bar of lead. Then finally all x86, and even the chance to run Windows on your mac. Makes you wonder what you are actually paying for there....

Not long ago it was said how the legacy of x86 was something to move away from (Intels Itaniun anyone? CELL for the 360?), Apple are now moving towards it. So im sure once they realise that they are once again behind the times - transition time.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
andiwm2003 said:
are the 970's automatically dual dual core's?

i don't think so. i guess they will be less expensive dual cores that replace the dual g5 at similar speeds with some extra features (larger HD, better GPU, 1 GB or so)
Wrong quesiton. When(if?) Apple releases PowerMac G5s with 970MP processors, will any of the models have 2 970MP processors?

All the G5s up until now are some variant of the 970 processor. Which is one o fthe reasons why your question is incorrectly phrased.

Now as to the answer of the question I believe you meant to ask: I don't expect all the PowerMacs to have dual 970MP processors. However, I do expect at least the high end model to have dusl 970MP procs.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Bear said:
Wrong quesiton. When(if?) Apple releases PowerMac G5s with 970MP processors, will any of the models have 2 970MP processors?

All the G5s up until now are some variant of the 970 processor. Which is one o fthe reasons why your question is incorrectly phrased.

Now as to the answer of the question I believe you meant to ask: I don't expect all the PowerMacs to have dual 970MP processors. However, I do expect at least the high end model to have dusl 970MP procs.

thank's for the lecture.

btw.: what are "dusl 970MP procs"? :D :D

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003
lilstewart92 said:
Steve did say something along these lines: There are more great things to come with the PPC.

Yeah, like 2005 was the year of the HD? What rubbish.
And at wwdc a few years back -- "we'll have a 3.0GHZ G5 in the next year .. " more rubbish. Steve is full of aluminum tainted excrement.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
djkny said:
Yeah, like 2005 was the year of the HD? What rubbish..
he actually meant the year of the HardDisk
djkny said:
And at wwdc a few years back -- "we'll have a 3.0GHZ G5 in the next year .. " more rubbish..
that is when you add the GHz of both CPU's. so we are well past 3.0 ghz now.
djkny said:
Steve is full of aluminum tainted excrement.
yeah, he went down from noble Titanium to simple Aluminum.

i think we shouldn't take every blurb literally that comes from SJ. he said also, that flash players with this tiny little displays make no sense. at the same time they were developing the nano.

mynameisjesse

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2005
new york.
chances are they will not release a powermac with dual 970mp processors because when they move to intel they might not be able to have that right away. they would never release something that they cant do with intel processors.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Well... as my roommate said the night before Paris Expo... "maybe Santa Jobs will come in the night and bring some sweet updates" haha. Too bad that didn't happen :(

RobHague

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
Malik said:
"Apple have taken a dump on current users from a great hight - They couldnt push IBM enough, its more likley a question of price than power. Im sure Apple is going to get a really good price on those Intel CPU's so their profit margins will sky rocket, which will make Steve Jobs happy no doubt and the share holders."

"So basically, you have 1 year of outdated products to look forward to be buying (for 'cutting edge' prices - cant let Steves profit margin fall now can we?) maybe a handful of speed bumps and finally a death nell for PPC as the new Intel kit arrives. Then you can look forward to that speedy new Intel machine - running a mix of PPC/x86 software for a while, while the transition gets sorted and Steve has a good enough excuse to drop PPC like a hot bar of lead. Then finally all x86, and even the chance to run Windows on your mac. Makes you wonder what you are actually paying for there...."

Bolded for emphasis. Please don't tell me that when Apple are saying 'MAC OSX makes the Mac' that they are trying to say thats going to be the only difference between it and a PC come 2006-2007.

I'm hoping through all this that the products Apple produce will not be pure rip-offs of what are in consumer systems of the time and are chips fabricated purley for Apple - as in differing in design to whats available to the average PC.

Because they are no doubt going to keep prices the same (if not - they are going to compete with Dell and such?)... so thats a rather large markup to start with. Will the PC graphics, sound cards etc work with them? More than likley not so they will be more expensive too...for the same product.

OSX is great but not worth that much expense, sorry. What was worth money to me was a jump from x86 to PPC and Windows to OSX. The price premium seemed to have a reason for being (other than profit) but now Apple are steaming back to x86 so there really wont be as much to choose between them... I always thought PPC was the superior architecture, and x86 was the one that would die out one day (but because its popular - its stuck it out, like VHS vs BETAMAX)...

Lastley... if one can Dual Boot between OSX and Windows on the Intel Machines, why would any software company bother to make a native OSX version?....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.