Does This Really Work........

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by senseibiz, Nov 3, 2004.

1. senseibiz macrumors regular

Feb 8, 2002
    Las Vegas
  2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    I've always avoided any sort of speed accelerator. Some people swear they work (don't know about this one in particular), but the way I see it, if they can accelerate the speed, there has to be some other kind of compromise, or else Apple would integrate such technology.
  3. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

Jun 22, 2004
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    hmm... reading about that, all it seems to do is speed up the amount of processor it gives to the foreground application, and doesnt necessarly "speed" up in terms of clockspeed.... might be useful for heavy photoshop work, where you want 100% of the CPU running on photoshop... might help speed things up there a littlebit... but seems like it might bring some stability issues, i dunno.
  4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    This is a GUI front end for the "renice" command in the Terminal. Type "man renice" in the Terminal without the quotes. It will give you all you need to know.

BTW, if you renice something it stays with that PID (Process ID) so if something else comes up with that PID you can have some issues. Just a warning, but nothing too big. I tend to give iTunes less priority and other stuff more... but if your computer is rather old iTunes can actually skip as there has not been any time yet to refresh the song buffer! :eek: