Does this seem like a good/legit deal for ram?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by billyergs, Mar 21, 2005.

1. billyergs macrumors member

4 gigs of ram

just weighing out the options before I buy from crucial.
    thanks

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

They say all the right things - so it's down to whether you want to take the risk to buy over eBay from a vendor you don't know. I have never heard of Approved brand memory, but that doesn't mean much. They have been around only 2 years.

The ebay seller talks a lot about the Approved brand and gives the address etc: but you are not buying directly from Approved Memory, you are buying from an individual called toycove. Don't be misled.

I recommend a 4 Gb kit from Data Memory Systems for $620.00 http://www.datamem.com/viewcat.asp?C=1125

3. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

As the folks at Crucial state on their website, only a handful of companies actually manufacture the chips and the boards, and this is not one of them.

It will probably work fine, but you may run into a few hiccups, and reliability issues in a few years. In the worst case, kernel panics, etc.

That's less than $125 per stick, which is basically generic memory. IMHO, a high-end system like the G5 is no place for that kind of memory, it is too integral to the entire system to go cheap.

If you really need it, I would do more research on the company, and what other people think.

4. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

5. iGary Guest

iGary

Totally cliche, but:

You get what you pay for. I always buy from Crucial.

Why put cheap RAM in a Ferrari computer? :D

6. billyergs thread starter macrumors member

video editing..