Does this seem like a good/legit deal for ram?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by billyergs, Mar 21, 2005.

1. billyergs macrumors member

Feb 16, 2005
    4 gigs of ram

just weighing out the options before I buy from crucial.
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    They say all the right things - so it's down to whether you want to take the risk to buy over eBay from a vendor you don't know. I have never heard of Approved brand memory, but that doesn't mean much. They have been around only 2 years.

The ebay seller talks a lot about the Approved brand and gives the address etc: but you are not buying directly from Approved Memory, you are buying from an individual called toycove. Don't be misled.

I recommend a 4 Gb kit from Data Memory Systems for $620.00
  3. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    As the folks at Crucial state on their website, only a handful of companies actually manufacture the chips and the boards, and this is not one of them.

It will probably work fine, but you may run into a few hiccups, and reliability issues in a few years. In the worst case, kernel panics, etc.

That's less than $125 per stick, which is basically generic memory. IMHO, a high-end system like the G5 is no place for that kind of memory, it is too integral to the entire system to go cheap.

If you really need it, I would do more research on the company, and what other people think.
  4. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
  5. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    Totally cliche, but:

You get what you pay for. I always buy from Crucial.

Why put cheap RAM in a Ferrari computer? :D
  6. billyergs thread starter macrumors member

Feb 16, 2005
    video editing..