Does this sound like something's wrong?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ITASOR, Aug 3, 2005.

1. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Hey guys. I called PowerMax earlier when they were open to inquire what the heck was up with my iBook taking so long.

Here's my story:

I ordered an iBook on July 15th 2005. As we all know, they were updated on the 26th. I thought for sure it would be too late, but a call to PowerMax and they canceled the order and redid it for the new one. That alone got me wondering, a week+ and they still hadn't even gotten past a point where PowerMax could cancel the order?! However, this was when BTO was 7-10 days, so that explains it a bit I guess.

So here I am today. 9:46EST and I'm still iBook-less. Worse yet, I'm Mac-Less. And I'm sad. And I'm whining and shouldn't be, but I have a good question....

Do you think something's wrong? Everyone I know who ordered an iBook got it today, or earlier this week. They too, had BTO HD's and one person had iWork pre-installed.

Today when I called PowerMax they said it was still being built and was preparing shipment. How can this be? I called PowerMax and redid the order as soon as PowerMax opened after the iBooks were announced on July 26th (day they came out). I seriously don't see how it couldn't have shipped yet and I'm worried.

I know I didn't get ripped off. Duh. PowerMax is a good company or so I've heard. However, what the heck is taking so darn long? I guess it HASN'T really been THAT long, but the guy from PMax said that customers who already had an iBook on order (that was BTO) would get first priority and get the new iBooks ordered and sent out quicker for their troubles. I think I was getting, and still am getting some major BS.

PowerMax is a HUGE, HUGE, Apple dealer. You cannot tell me that they have to wait the same time to get an iBook BTO'd that a normal Joe-Schmo customer has to wait. I won't buy that. They mass order these things, and I'm sure they get them at least a little faster or a different way. I'd be very surprised if they have to just get them like a normal person only at a dealer rate. Impossible.

The only reason I went with PowerMax was because they are giving me a $650 trade-in on my PowerMac. Well I am just selling my PowerMac (they said this was ok) because if they truly take this long to get me a new computer, think of how long it's going to take them to look at my used trade-in. Forever.

I sure hope that the warranty starts from the day I receive and register the computer, because if not a month of mine is already gone...or will be by the time I get it....hhaha.

I really wish I went with MacConnection with the overnight shipping and had them do the upgrade on the HD. Darn. Too late now and I'm going to have to live with my mistake, just concerned about the future if I have to send it in or something.

*Sigh* At least writing all the calmed me down a great deal!

ITASOR

2. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Sorry to hear that, man. I would be devistated if that happened to me :eek:.

It'll get here sometime next week probably.

Good luck!

I got mine today!! :D :cool:

3. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Hmmm. Thanks for letting me know. :rolleyes:

4. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

I'm waiting desperately for my new iBook 12" (It's my first modern Mac), I ordered it over the phone yesterday morning directly from Apple along with a custom engraved iPod Mini (Since they had that educational offer). They both shipped from Apple today, the iPod via FedEx, and the iBook via Puralator (I'm living in Canada). What's getting me annoyed is that I'm unable to track my order for the iBook (Since it's shipping from outside Canada, they said I won't be able to track the order untill it clears customs in Canada :( )

5. verozov macrumors regular

verozov

well if it makes you feel in any better the apple people aren't doing much better (actually it seems like just me)...

i placed my order the 28th on a 14" ibook, combo instead of superdrive (i already have an external sony)... and they're still "Processing" it... THEY HAVE'NT EVEN STARTED BUILDING IT!... o well

u'd think they'd have some already built, they have to know some people are going to get these up/downgrades...

6. zeeko macrumors member

i got the 12" 1.33 40gb ibook from the apple store on the 1st and it should arrive on friday :) super excited

7. freiheit macrumors 6502a

We can always hope the delays are due to incredible, unforeseen demand that will finally rocket Apple's marketshare above 5% -- but maybe that's just wishful thinking.

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Apple always fills their own stores and orders before they release stock to dealers. 2 - 3 weeks wait on a newly released model is not unusual. Remember the Minis?

9. Goliath macrumors regular

Goliath

I remember when the iMac flat panel came out- ordered mine and when delivered it had a logic board failure so called Apple who sent an engineer and they replaced it. This was my first experience of Mac's and I thought... prettty cool, been helpful so far and quick....

Anyway 14 weeks it took them to get me my new one!! Lots of BS and angry phonecalls

So I hope you get your computer soon cos I know how frustrating it can be

10. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Good news. Finally got the reseller to give me the tracking number TO THEM and I see it's supposed to be delivered either today or tomorrow! Then 5-10 shipping to me still, but at least I'll have tracking!

11. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

14 weeks thats...*counts* 3.5 months :eek: i sure would have been mad if it took that long to get my mac...

12. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

14 weeks is obscene. That should have been a free Mac right there.

13. alexeismertin macrumors regular

alexeismertin

14. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Thank you for contributing to MacRumor's friendliness and loving community. :eek: :D

15. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

OK, that was NOT needed in this thread, he was looking for help, not to be sent away! I hope you get banned for saying such a rude comment to another Mac user.

*Thinks in his mind: what a shame that people have to treat other people like that, when someone is simply asking for help. Wow*