Does this sound possible?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by neoelectronaut, Apr 3, 2004.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I have my good 'ol Sega Dreamcast, and I'd like to get on the internet with it. Now, being a human being with a brain, I don't want to spend $200 on a ethernet modem for it. Would it be possible to set my Mac up as sort of a dial-in server that I could dial into using the DC and get out to the internet from there with it?

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

The set up

Then under System Preferences click Sharing in the third line. Then the tab that says Internet. Then share your internet that you have with the modem with the network card. This is the basic, but to do the actual dialing if you are connecting the 2 together though the 56k modem. You would have to figure out how to do that, I'm sure you can google it.

Now I have to say this could work, but you wont get good results as in speed of the dial up connection. Their is a reason why they give out a network adaptor, because its faster.

3. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Oh, I don't need blazing speeds, I just need to get on it at all.

And yeah...under sharing to computers with it only says ethernet, not dial-up....so...anyone else have a hint?

4. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

macrlz9

ok this is what u do, dial up to the interent, then go to the sharing preference and turn on interent sharing, it will share the connection from the modem to the etherent port. then get a etherenet cable and plug one in ur mac and one in the sega. there u go

5. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

That's not going to work.

The Dreamcast has only a 56k modem with a RJ11 connector. Meanwhile the ethernet port on my eMac is being taken up by a Cat5 cable to my DSL modem. I was hoping I could route a phone cord from the DC's modem to the RJ11 port on my eMac, dial into the computer, and get out through it using the Ethernet port.

6. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

macrlz9

oooh ok you are right, i thought u were dialing up with the eMac and using the etherent for the dreamcast. ok i don't think that's possible but i don't know...

7. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I'm absolutely CERTAIN that it's possible...I just don't know HOW.

8. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

9. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

10. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

what you asking to do is create a null modem connection (modem to modem). i doubt the dreamcast support this without using some external support of software. you can't dial in directly connected to the modem because there is no dial tone. the RJ11 port on your eMac is a modem port you know that right? the RJ45 port is your ethernet. how are you expecting to get information from the Rj11 or the RJ45? your question is not grounded in any technical sense what so ever. you seem to suffering from what i call the magic wand syndrome. you seem to want to technology to do something for you and yet you have no clue how it works or what you really want from it. to cure this, open your web brower and goto google.com and search for dreamcast hacks. i still don't know why you want to connect to your dreamcast. what are you hoping to find?

11. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Look, stop treating me like I'm a moron or something. I know people have done this before. I've found instructions to do it on Windows, and I was just wondering if anyone here knew of a Mac variation.'

Magic Wand? Look, I know alot about computers and the way that Windows and Macs work. What I do not know is alot of Unix commands and underlying stuff that's on the Mac. I was just hoping for a guru around here to help me.

...and DUH the RJ-11 port on the Mac is the modem port. That's the point. The DC has a regular old dial-up modem, thus, a RJ-11 port. I can't exactly go from a RJ-11 to RJ-45, now can I? :rolleyes:

12. Makosuke macrumors 603

Calm down, it wasn't 100% clear what you were asking to begin with, and he just didn't realize it was possible.

For reference, here are detailed instructions on how to do this with a PC:

http://home.elp.rr.com/terlouw/DCWinMEServer.htm

Basically, the PC is set up to allow a remote login through which it can share an internet connection (sort of "do it yourself PPP"), the Dreamcast dials into it either through and actual phone line or a null modem cable (ignoring dial tone, since there is none, of course), and establishes a connection to a PC hooked to broadband. The PC then feeds the internet connection to the Dreamcast.

I'm not sure this is possible on a Mac, although it might be using Remote Access. I haven't used that in years, however, so somebody else who has will have to chip in with info.

13. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu