Does This Type Of Software Exist?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thechris69, Nov 13, 2006.

1. thechris69 macrumors 6502

thechris69

I need a program that acts as a alarm clock to wake me up for school, but, I turn my iMac off at night, so the program would need to turn my imac on and open itunes and play my favourite song to wake me up... this sounds ridiculous but does a program or a similar program exist?

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I don't think you'll find anything short of an EMP which will do anything to your computer when it's switched off. Asleep, maybe, but switched off? I don't think so.

3. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

You could build a gadget that turns on and has a rotating arm that will push the button to turn it on.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You can set your Mac to start up in System Preferences --> Energy Saver --> Schedule...

Then there are a number of ways to get iTunes to start playing a song.

But an alternative would be something like Aurora...haven't used it myself, but supposedly it'll start your computer up and provides a nice interface for setting everything up.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Aurora will only wake it from sleep. You'd have to schedule it to start up in SysPrefs, like you said.

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Are you sure?

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What in hell does "wake your Mac even when shut down" mean??? Doesn't make sense. From the website, it certainly sounds like it can only wake from sleep, as far as I've read. Not at all clear, especially from this screenshot:

Attached Files:

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I don't know, but I've seen a number of other similar apps that claim to be able to do it. iTuneSleep is another one:

Edit: iTaf is another one that is very clear on its ability to start up the Mac. The Read Me file that comes with the download talks a bit about the daemon it employs to start up the computer. (Of course, you have to have auto-login enabled in order for it to work.)

9. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

I use iTaf as my alarm clock. Its pretty robust. Give it a shot.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

OK, I was obviously wrong about the EMP. There appear to be less drastic methods, too. :eek:

11. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

need caffeine?

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'll pass, thanks. It's time to go to Bedfordshire. :)

13. rcm3 macrumors member

This website should explain everything:

http://www.thealarmclockshop.com/

:D

Does anyone have a program that allows my MBP C2D with 2 gigs of ram to make french fries? Or do I need 3 gigs for that?

14. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

You could us a program like Proxi to schedule an applescript at a certain time. Applescript can easily start itunes and get it to start playing or to play a certain playlist or whatever. Combine this with turning your mac on with energy saver and setting proxi to load on launch, you have your solution right there.