Does Tiger include Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'macOS' started by OldManJimbo, Sep 19, 2005.

1. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

Dumb question - I know. My duaghter is at college with a new iBook. She has one website that won't work with Safari (one of the very few) and she SAYS she can't find Internet Explorer in the Applications folder, nor with Spotlight.

I'm a cheap bastard and haven't moved past 10.3.9 - so I don't know if IE is supposed to be there are not. It's in my Panther applications folder.

I know - I know - she could download Firefox or something, but I guess we're just curious about the IE thing.

Thanks for your help.

2. NicP macrumors 6502

Internet explorer does not come with OSX, it can be downloaded off the microsoft website somewhere (i assume) but it hasnt been updated in a long time and most people would recommend against using it

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yes, Apple stopped shipping MSIE after Safari became a released product. It's free and there's no harm in trying it for yourself to come to your own conclusions, so grab it here and give it a spin.

4. andysmith macrumors 6502

Bear in mind that IE Mac is nothing like IE for windows, in terms of compatibility with (badly designed) web pages - the chances are it'll look even more messed up in it.

5. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

IE for Mac has not been updated for quite a while. My 15" PB's restore CD came with MS IE. I feel IE for Mac is very coarse and lacks refinement compared to Safari and Firefox.

6. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

MS stopped development on IE for mac since Apple released Safari...
    but indeed sometimes Safari doesn't work... My telephone company has an online service to track my bills... so I can see what to expect to be billed for later on (sometimes quite convenient when I made a lot of international calls...) and it only works with Netscape & IE (haven't installed Firefox so don't know about that) Safari only causes errors with those pages...

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

No, Tiger doesn't have any viruses.

8. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I was adding a radio to my XM account; their horrible online subscription page did not work in Safari or Firefox; so I went to microsoft's page and grabbed IE; it actually worked and allowed me to change my subscription. Of course, once this was accomplished I trashed IE.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Some things still only work with IE, like my Wachovia Bill Pay (although I think Opera works there now). I keep IE only for that purpose, but I am glad it works.

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yar, if ye' be wantin' t' get t' sites that require somethin' by that bilge rat Billy Gates, ye can try the Safari debug menu.

Ye best be startin' by typing th' folowin into Terminal when Safari be not runnin':

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1
    Then, once Safari be started again, ye can use the Debug menu t'select User Agent->MSIE6.0.

Works more oft'n than it don't.

11. OldManJimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

From the OP

So - is this a fault of Safari or the web developers?

I'd love to do without IE altogether but there's on key page on the American Airlines web that won't work in Safari. I've spoken to AA about it and they place the blame on Safari - I think I disagree.

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Gar, I used me plundered pieces o' eight to buy me mum a ticket off the AA site just three days afore now. I be fond o' usin' it for me frequent pirating miles as well.

Have ye a URL for th' offendin' part? Safari be workin' for me.

13. OldManJimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

Aye matey - the bloomin' thang will wark sum o' the tyme - but not always. I'm wanting to make 'im walk-the-plank.

Geez - I can't keep that up. I've sent the "offending page" to Safari a number of times over the last 6 months.

14. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

some parts of the AA site work with Safari, some don't......I stopped using Safari there and have been using Firefox which seems to work ok

I've had Safari trouble with the multi-city reservations, going back and forth to the seating charts and various other things

15. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yar, many thanks to ye. I be testin' it meself tonight. Now I be at me day job.

16. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

yar matey.....an sometimes yar be searchin a fine and fair grand price goin all back and forth like ya be tackinn f'ore a raw fickle scallywag of a blow an thar ya finally be up with a gran swag of a fare an yar be set to lay down yar fair plundered piece's o' eight and yar be clickin on "purchase" ..........arg matey!!! the scurvvy sonsa of biscuit eaters all simpley goes to davy jones own locker n wont be lettin yar purchase naught.........arrrghh

17. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

this pirate thing is creeping me out. having said that,

I would recommend downloading Firefox because that has updates unlike IE.
    You can get IE for Mac's on Microsofts website as posted above.

I still love Safarie but I do keep IE around for those websites that dont work

18. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Safari 2 kicks butt. I don't see any reason to use IE or even firefox.

I don't care about new themes or extensions, as long as safari is faster and more bug-free than any of the other browsers.

19. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

:D
    "Reply of the month"