Does Tiger recognise 700MB CDs?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ebally, Apr 25, 2005.

1. ebally macrumors regular

I was wondering if there is any news on whether Mac OS X Tiger recognises 700MB CDs, or does it still insist they are only 660MB?

I never really understood why this happens with the Operating System, when Toast seems fine with utilising all 700MBs of data on a CD.

2. ebally thread starter macrumors regular

Come on, there must be someone out there who's got the answer?

Just pop in a blank 700MB CD and see what capacity Tiger shows?

PLEEASEEE! :)

3. RAS admin macrumors regular

RAS admin

I am also interested, but I don't have Tiger yet. I do, however, have a stack of blank 700MB CD's that I haven't been able to use...

4. Bear macrumors G3

You are seeing all the space. It's marketing speak that is screwing you up.

If you're seeing 660MB, the Mac is seeing the full space on the CD-R.

700MB or 700*10^6 is what marketing uses to quote sizes.

The Mac is showing roughly 667*1024^2 which is how ocmputers display space available. The 660MB is after formatting and overhead.

Put in a 650MB CD-R in there and see how much space it says is available. It will be roughly 610MB.

The disk manufacturers switched how they were quoting available space so it looks like the disks were bigger. And then all the manufacturers switched over.

5. kothrush macrumors member

kothrush

Problems with CD-R in Finder

Well, it seems there is a problem with my 12" 1st generation Powerbook combo drive and Tiger. I have burnt couple of CDs in iTunes, but if I insert black CD and try to mount it in Finder then it gives me error saying that "Disk Drive is not supported" :eek: . Weird. I can use iTunes, Disk Utility , but not Finder. Anyone with same problem ? :mad:

6. ebally thread starter macrumors regular

I understand what you are saying, but your reasoning is invalid, because how comes I can put a 700MB video file on a 700MB CD if I use Toast, but not if I use the Operating System?

7. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

I've completely moved away from buring CD's using the Finder. I hate moving the files to the blank CD and then have to wait several minutes for the files to copy over before I ca burn. I rely on Toast to burn all of my files now. However, I think Tiger now burns files directly in the Finder, meaning, there is no copying to the CD. Just drop the files on the blank CD and burn. No waiting for for files to copy over first. Can anyone with Tiger confirm this?

8. ebally thread starter macrumors regular

I guess it seems that I won't find out the answer to my query until Friday, when I install Tiger myself. :)

9. RAS admin macrumors regular

RAS admin

10. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

I really hope that's the case. I remember having major issues for a while with the finder because my system disk had less than 700 MB remaining (that's no longer the case, thankfully), so I could no longer burn any CDs.

11. uams.edu macrumors newbie

Tiger and 700MB CD burner

Loaded Tiger 1 week ago. VVery pleased until I attempted to burn a CD. My G4 eMac won't recogize the disk-I get a "80020025" error message. Repaired permissions, reboot etc to no avail.

OK Apple, where is the fix?