Does Tiger Still Have Smart Times and Dates?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GodBless, Apr 14, 2005.

1. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

Does Tiger Still Have Smart Times and Dates?

I am questioning this because I know that the WWDC version did but am questioning if it still has it now. Please say yes! :D

2. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

3. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

A silly opening question for the thread. Smart times / dates are when you connect to Apple's time server. You'll always have the exact time and won't have to worry about daylight savings time.

4. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Yes it does, but so does Panther (and probably most other Apple OS since about Mac OS 9), so I don't see the big deal.
    -Chase

5. andrewfee macrumors 6502

OS8.6 has it too; I've got an old iMac running it, and it contacts the timeserver. (8.5 may have done it too, I'm not certain)

6. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

GodBless

No. This is not what I am talking about.

Smart dates allow you to configure a short date, a medium date, a long date and a full date. Smart times have a short time, a medium time, a long time and a full time. Dates can be in word text like January or they can be in number form like 01 or 1 (without the leading zero). Smart times have options like a.m. / p.m. or 24 hour clock with or without leading zero. No options are limited. Each section of time and date can be dragged and dropped to be customized in whatever order possible. They are each clickable and have a contextual menu to be switched in whatever form you need (sort of like email addresses are clickable in Mail after they are in the oval "smart" format). Also you can add in spaces, numbers, letters or whatever characters you want to your time and date presets.

There is nothing on the Apple's web site indicating that Tiger has this feature. Why? :confused: This should be one of Tiger's selling features! When I saw this with last year's WWDC release I thought that it was the most overlooked feature from all of the Tiger reviews. The problem is that nobody has ever talked about it online.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If Apple touted every feature in MacOS X, the ads would be the size of the Encyclopedia Brittannica. What you call "smart dates," I would call "customizeable date format." It may get you excited, but most people are more concerned about features that actually improve their productivity.

8. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

Wait...honestly. Is this a joke? The way you're describing it (or perhaps the way I am reading it) this "technology" allows you to do nothing. Furthermore, how could a customizable date system be the main selling point of a $129 operating system that was a year and a half in the making?

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This feature you describe is a core feature of the internationally-friendly side of Mac OS X. I suspect that this has been around since Mac OS 10.0.0, and will continue to be supported in future Mac OS X updates.

10. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

GodBless

Seriously this is a new feature. It is a very productive feature and it has not been in any past Mac OS. All I want to know is if it still exists. How can people in this thread assume that this feature is insignificant when they haven't even seen it? It is one of my favorite features because I can now put my dates in chronological order without any spaces i.e. YYYYMMDD. This was not possible before until I saw this feature in the WWDC 2004 build. It was really buggy in that build so I don't know if they kept it or not.

Please somebody with Tiger Gold Master give me the answer.

11. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Being less significant than other features in the OS does not make it insignificant. In fact, nobody said that having a customizeable date format was insignificant. What we are saying is that there are many features of Apple's new $129 operating system. We are also saying that many of those other features will sell a lot more copies of MacOS X 10.4 than will the ability to customize the date display. There are many people who go all weak kneed over Core Image, Spotlight, or the new Mail client. For you, it's the date format. More power to you.

12. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Since this feature isn't exactly brain surgery, I can't see any reason why it would be present in an early build and then removed for GM. If an early feature is removed from the GM, it's because they couldn't get it right in time to meet their release target. I think you can relax and feel confident that the feature made to GM.

13. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

im still confused on what exactly this does and how it benefits productivity

14. gopher macrumors 65816

Wait till 29 April 2005 and find out from your local Apple reseller.

15. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

GodBless

Agreed. People will be happy with this feature (if Apple kept it) when people buy Tiger and modify the times and dates in the International tab of the System Preferences. I am happy about all of the new features in Tiger but although smart times and dates aren't the most major of features I wasn't very pleased that Apple didn't mention anything about these features on their website. I am not complaining, I am just wondering if I will be missing something that I was looking forward to in Tiger. It isn't the best feature in the world, but it sure is a cool one. This is the only thing that I didn't see on the Apple web site that I saw in Tiger when I saw the WWDC release. I just want to know if I should or shouldn't expect to see it.