Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
It's hard to say. My personal inclination would be to start from scratch anyway so that there's no old junk config files lying around. I'd be surprised if there was no 'upgrade' option but I'd still prefer a clean install.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
I'm pretty lazy and would not like to do a fresh install. Anyone know if the betas released so far have such an 'upgrade' option?

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
Originally posted by amin
thanks irmongoose,

it's nice to know we will have the option. choice is good.

choice may be good, but the fastest possible system with the least amount of potential for clutter is better. clean install all the way.

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2002
WA
me, me, me

Well, everytime, Every single time I post something here I feel like I am making vanity posts. So.....
Here it is let me tell you about my experience.
I installed Jaguar as an upgrade to OS 9. I was amazed that it worked so well. Easy to install something that I would think is very difficult. There was a problem though in that my HD is very small and having two OS hogs it all.
Something bad happened, I had to erase my HD after a year of steady use of OS X. I haven't used OS 9 for about that long too. So when I did a fresh install of OS X on my drive. I didn't install OS 9. I saved a lot of room on my hard drive and picked up some performance. :p
So, the answer to your question. If it is possible, do a fresh install on your erased HD. But I am sure that a upgrade will be available, and it will work very well. I personally will be doing the upgrade. I won't be erasing my HD unless something really messes me up.
WHAT WENT WRONG-
note, I had two seperate users on my hard drive. My side took up too much space and the OS wouldn't open up the other users side. So, I thought making the side that wouldn't open up the default log in user would open up the blocked side. Opps. I couldn't get into either side. Locked out! Damn. I had to either do some heavy terminal trickery or erase and install. It took all weekend to get back up to speed. Hello, lost shareware registration emailing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.