does upgrading to 2GB of memory worth it on my macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by squirrelonfire, Sep 18, 2006.

1. squirrelonfire macrumors member

I just put a 1gig of memory stick from Super Talent on my macbook and I can tell you that the speed of the macbook just jump to about 50%.
    I wonder how many percentage it will increase if I upgrade to 2gig.
    If any1 has installed 2gig of memory on his macbook and has some advice, please post them here. Thanks so much.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If you could give some small clue as to what you aim to be doing on it, somebody could tell you. :)

3. Omni Geno macrumors regular

Omni Geno

Indeed. If you are going to be word processing, using spreadsheets, browsing the Net and using IM, 1GB is more than enough. If you will also be watching videos, playing some light computer games/emulated games, or programming, 1GB is good enough to cover everything. If on top of that you're editing video or audio, playing mid/high end games, or otherwise doing some heavy design work, I can see where 2GB might help.

4. lordjonny macrumors regular

lordjonny

It is well worth upgrading to 2GB for speed of doing anything. I did so not long after I bought my Macbook and instantly noticed everything working smoother and quicker. I think its because the integrated graphics relies on the amount of ram and with leopard coming soon it is definately worth it.

5. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

It was definitely worth it for me, especially for iPhoto. My Ram would fill up (with 1 gig) just after opening iPhoto and scrolling up and down a bit. I could feel the whole system slow down. With 2 gigs it goes very smoothly and my Ram has only filled up once ever. I never use Adobe apps or anything.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Stickler. You should always be prepared to spend other people's money.

7. Omni Geno macrumors regular

Omni Geno

Haha, too bad that RAM wouldn't be going to me.

8. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Yes, yo will notice quite a big speed gain. Tiger will feel snappier. I had 1.25GB installed in my MB, and when I upgraded to 2GB, I coulold definitely feel the difference:)

I think you should upgrade, because from what you are telling us, you also have 1.25GB installed, and it is better to match the RAM, especially in the MB, because it then runs in dual channel mode, which is better for the integrated GPU:)

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Possibly it could be arranged.

I'd like to know how anyone is gaining performance by adding RAM if they're not routinely exceeding the RAM they've already got installed. It's getting into virtual memory swap files that produces the penalty.

10. pianojoe macrumors 6502

pianojoe

Since I upgraded my MB to 2GB, this Baby rocks!

11. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

You could have said that a million ways.

But, you chose to say it obnoxiously. :rolleyes:

12. NextTuesday macrumors member

I would have said it more in a way like this:

2GB of RAM in a MacBook ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!

13. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

n00bs. :rolleyes:

14. squirrelonfire thread starter macrumors member

Thanks 4 all your replies

Your replies are exactly what I'm looking for. I will definitely order another 1 gig of memory stick. Very much I do is making website along w/ opening multiple windows to edit photos and video. So I think 2 gig will defintely help me out like you guys said. Cheer to our mac !

15. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes, I'd say it definitely would make a difference in your case.

16. Dr. Technology macrumors newbie

Just got my 2 1GB chips today. Everything is running VERY nicely. MS Word, which is not Intel native, boots up almost instantly, whereas before, when I had the 512MB, it took a while... I notice that just running my usual stuff - Firefox, iTunes, iCal, etc - takes up around 600MB. Now, to play some games!

17. artmonster macrumors newbie

I put 2GB in my whitebook and that SOB flies!

I also slapped in a 7200rpm 100GB hard drive, and saw even more speed improvements

18. squirrelonfire thread starter macrumors member

I just ordered another gig of ram

HOpefully my macbook will run faster.
    This morning I noticed a slow boot up. I think I have to remove some junk or like defrag my hard drive to make it run faster.
    If you guys have any guide on how to improve your macbook performance beside adding ram:) , please post the link here.

19. evangelion-01 macrumors regular

if anyone is interested on upgrading to 2gigs and has 2x 512... let me know... i dont need 2gigs...

20. meepm00pmeep macrumors 6502

meepm00pmeep