Does upgrading your OS heat up your mac.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rdjass0317, Feb 25, 2007.

1. rdjass0317 macrumors newbie

Feb 25, 2007
    I just install OS tiger and updated it on my powerbook G4. it seem to heat up faster and I think it gets hotter now then before the upgrade. is there something to this or is it just me? Thanks:eek: :confused:
  2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    OS upgrades (both major and minor ones) have been known to change heat management routines, so it's possible. Could be a combination of a different fan scheme and something that's hitting the processor harder after the upgrade, either of which could make the 'book feel hotter.

My only significant experience with this was upgrading a 12" PowerBook from 10.2 to 10.4, and it actually ran DRASTICALLY cooler after the upgrade--the fans ran much more frequently.
  3. MadDoc macrumors 6502

Apr 25, 2005
    You could always check out the temperature of your chip with iStat Pro. It's a free dashboard widget.

But, yes, OS alterations can alter your system temp.

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Nov 13, 2003
    Well it could also be if its only been a short time since the upgrade spotlight getting everything sorted out. That will cause heat.:eek:
  5. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Mar 21, 2006
    what a strange idea.
    yes i would have to think so. more features = more work = more heat.
  6. kevinliu4 macrumors regular

Aug 8, 2006
    i recenty upgraded the os from 10.4.7 to 10.4.9 for the first time since i bought my mbp in august. it now runs extremely hot.

i think i could fry an egg on this thing!