Does upgrading your OS heat up your mac.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rdjass0317, Feb 25, 2007.

1. rdjass0317 macrumors newbie

I just install OS tiger and updated it on my powerbook G4. it seem to heat up faster and I think it gets hotter now then before the upgrade. is there something to this or is it just me? Thanks:eek: :confused:

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

OS upgrades (both major and minor ones) have been known to change heat management routines, so it's possible. Could be a combination of a different fan scheme and something that's hitting the processor harder after the upgrade, either of which could make the 'book feel hotter.

My only significant experience with this was upgrading a 12" PowerBook from 10.2 to 10.4, and it actually ran DRASTICALLY cooler after the upgrade--the fans ran much more frequently.

3. MadDoc macrumors 6502

MadDoc

You could always check out the temperature of your chip with iStat Pro. It's a free dashboard widget.

But, yes, OS alterations can alter your system temp.

MadDoc,

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Well it could also be if its only been a short time since the upgrade spotlight getting everything sorted out. That will cause heat.:eek:

5. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

what a strange idea.
    yes i would have to think so. more features = more work = more heat.

6. kevinliu4 macrumors regular

i recenty upgraded the os from 10.4.7 to 10.4.9 for the first time since i bought my mbp in august. it now runs extremely hot.

i think i could fry an egg on this thing!