Does VGA support Blu-ray 1080p?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by acarle208, Apr 19, 2008.

1. macrumors member

2. Guest

VGA is a video/resolution specification which simply put, defines a resolution of 640x 480. Blu-ray is a disk format. The two are not related. Can you clarify what you are asking?

3. macrumors 68040

Pressure

Since playing BluRay requires a digital signal that is protected with devices that support HDCP, the simple answer is no.

4. macrumors demi-god

CWallace

I have driven a 1680x1050 display with a VGA cable, so I imagine it could handle a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD 1920x1080p signal.

However, as Pressure noted, if the content is protected by HDCP (and it should be), since VGA does not support that standard, it will not display the signal at full-resolution (I believe it halves it to 960 x 540).

5. macrumors member

I have used a vga connection with my xbox 360 and HD DVD drive, it shows 1080p fine. i dunno about blu ray though.

6. macrumors 6502a

czachorski

I believe that VGA is capable of transmitting 1080p, but as said earlier, it will not transmit Blue-Ray due to the HDCP limitations. So for example, if you had an external blue-ray player hooked to a Mac via and HDCP compliant cable, and the had the mini-DVI output on the Mac go to a TV via and VGA adapter as a mirrored display, I believe it would transmit the 1080p. No? Or does HDCP have a way to block such a transmission too?

7. macrumors demi-god

CWallace

HCDP requires every device in the chain of transmission to support it in order to transmit at "full quality". So once it hits the VGA adapter, the system would degrade the image quality by half.

The same would happen if you connected to a TV or monitor (like the ACD) that didn't support HDCP via DVI.