Does warranty cover iPod earbuds?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by coolbreeze, May 7, 2003.

1. coolbreeze macrumors 65816

Well, somehow I've managed to blow my left iPod earbud. Not sure why Apple would allow the volume level to be high enough to do that, but nonetheless, it's happend. Now, bass has a slight "rattle" to it....it's driving me up the wall.

Yes, I should just go ahead an upgrade them to the Sony's or whatever, but does the 1-yr warranty cover replacement? I also have the 2-year TAP from CompUSA. Does that cover headphones?

Just curious if anyone has done this (I know I could research it, but don't feel like it).

Thanks.

2. boskie macrumors regular

I'm in a similar situation - my earbuds do fart if too high or bassy, but thats not the problem.

The bare wires are showing at the connector on the iPod end of the cable.

As the remote/headphones were not bought as one with my iPod, Apple relequishes all liability to the shop from which it was bought from - I have a 5Gig iPod which i bought @ J&R near tribecca NY in Jan 2001, and the remote/headphones were bought for me as a present from my girlfriend before xmas last year - and the shop are sticking to the fact that apple deal with iPod repairs/returns themselves. Anyway, after much tooing and froing between apple support and the store in question (and the fact that i sold, or helped sell a desktop machine and an iBook :D the shop decided too just give me a new set for helping them!!

3. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

Re: Does warranty cover iPod earbuds?

I would love to talk to you about this problem... call me at 1-800-COMPUSA, and we will sort the whole ordeal out

4. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

They're covered

My friend's earbuds that came with his 5 gig iPod blew. His warranty was still good so we went to an Apple retail store and went to the Genius Bar and a guy looked the at the earbuds and tested them. He confirmed they were dead so he went into the back and came out with a new pair of earbuds, rang them up at the register (they were free of course) and we went home.

5. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

now i know the earbuds are covered under the warrenty. i just hope i never have to deal with it!

6. boskie macrumors regular

Re: They're covered

Yes they are covered, but only if bought with the iPod. If bought seperately then it's down to wherever they were bought from.

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yeah i hate these earbuds, as soon as they blow im goin to get my street style sonys out. the main reason i dont like the earbuds is because at school if i put them in my pocket they get in a bunch of knots. with my sonys i can just throw them aroung my neck and im set.

iJon

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

yep as was said they're covered, i found warranty service to be very nice on this-- my remote died (the right earbud didn't work when connected to it), thirty seconds of clicking and a new one was rush shipped to me. didn't even have to send the old one in. may try to fix it myself for fun now :)

pnw

9. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

I think those street style BTN headphones are some of the best sounding headphones for the price dont you agree?

10. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I had the cheap version of those and they sounded fairly good until my sister somehow got the cord stuck in the car wheel (I still can't figure out how this happened). Now I use the Sony Fontopia MDR-EX71LPs, which are excellent earbuds.

11. unc32 macrumors regular

"Well, somehow I've managed to blow my left iPod earbud. Not sure why Apple would allow the volume level to be high enough to do that, but nonetheless, it's happend. Now, bass has a slight "rattle" to it....it's driving me up the wall."

yes, the earbuds are covered. Mine have had that happen to two sets of them. Always the left one, I think it has a flaw. Anyways, I had them replaced for free. You can do it online...

https://signin.apple.com/cgi-bin/We...nurl=https://customer.apple.com/repairstatus/

I had a new set sent to me within 3 days, no hassle at all.

12. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

the whole thing with the left ear bud and the recording feature maybe? could be maybe possibly.

13. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

oh yeah, i had just bought some new ones but i gave them to my girlfriend when she bought my old ipod from me, i need to pick me up some more. 15-20 bucks and they sound great. sometimes the pinch my ear so when i take them off after they have been on forever my ear really hurts. i usually dont have them on very long but i do when i mow the lawn, which takes about 3 hours.

iJon

14. shadowchaser macrumors newbie

original ipod owners

That's cool that you guys can get new headphones, but does anyone have any advice for an owner of the original ipod that came with a weak 3 month warranty??

I feel like I was punished for buying a new product before anyone else. My earbuds are showing bare wire near the base and the left ear is cracking when the bass hits.

Hey if anyone is feeling nice they can hook me up with their earbuds. Please.

15. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Re: original ipod owners

when apple came out with the 20gb ipods then upgraded all ipods to 1 year warranty, even the original ones. depending on when you bought it you may still be covered.

iJons

16. shadowchaser macrumors newbie

Re: Re: original ipod owners

Nice of them to tell us. I could have gotten them replaced before a year ran out a few months back. I guess I should have gotten on this site earlier.

17. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Same with me. The white plastic (?) has been pulled out of the connector a bit on the remote cable at the iPod end. I tried gluing it back in with all sorts of stuff, then I decided it kept getting bent out because it wasn't far enough in to begin with so I stickytaped the cable and the connector for about 4cm so it was all stiff. That was going pretty good but it doesn't hold on the rubber/plastic so I took it off. My warranties over either way so I'm just waiting to buy a new iPod. But it pisses me off a tad that the remote would go like that...