Does your back hurt?

Discussion in 'Community' started by sneed, Aug 7, 2002.

1. sneed macrumors regular

Jul 12, 2002
    Los Angeles
    After completing a longish project recently, my back and wrists are killing me, and my office reeks of icy hot.

Assuming I am not just getting old and creaky, I must be doing something wrong. Currently, I have a Anthro Adjustabench, and an Aeron chair. Is there something better out there? What do y'all use?
  2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    Just try to take breaks more often and stretch.:)
  3. sneed thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 12, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I try to take breaks and all that, but there is only so long I can be away from the project when I am under deadline(s).

I am looking for the magic configuration that will make it all better.
  4. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Nov 4, 2001
    best solution for me is to walk for atleast one hour a day, every day about 5 ish although this differs quite frequently I will go out walking, normally up into the hills around my house and walk around the lake near us, to make sure I stay active, it helps free up tense muscles etc...

5. awrc macrumors regular

Apr 20, 2002
    Milwaukee, WI
    Re: Does your back hurt?

Uh, I was about to suggest an Aeron chair, but then I read your post again. I'm assuming it's a properly sized Aeron and that it's all adjusted correctly - although the Aeron can feel like sitting on air, sticking an 'A' sized person in a 'C' sized Aeron or vice-versa can negate a lot of the benefits of the Aeron.

If it's all adjusted properly, beyond the good "get up and move around occasionally" advice that's already been suggested, don't accept getting old and creaky as inevitable. Not all age-related wear and tear is just stuff you have to grin and bear, and the seat/desk combo themselves may cause damage. If all else fails, see a doctor, they might be able to find and fix something before it gets worse (or, if it turns out to be chronic unfixable back pain, which is what my wife has, they'll at least give you some happy pills to make it easier to ignore :D)

Sitting in cheap $100 "task chairs" from the local warehouse club for several years did a lot of harm to my back, to the extent that I pretty much had to buy an Aeron to be able to sit in front of the computer for any length of time.
  6. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    I have a knackered old brown swivel chair :D a result from one of my favourite pastimes of looking around reclaim yards.......

It's a very cool chair...... brown coloured, and the rest is a non-shiny silver metal...... very nice indeed........ very 60's/70's....... :D

And no I don't get backache from it, I work for about 12 hours a day on it..... I also have a rock solid bed that also helps towards ache free posture....... even though I slouch in the day....... that's cos I'm cool and laid back.... or it could be cos I'm surrounded by midgets (people under six foot two in height...) heh heh heh :eek: :D :p
  7. sneed thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 12, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I am a C sized person in a C sized chair.

As far as the Rx route is concerned...

I have done everything from the doctors with their muscle relaxers and percadin, to the physical therapists, to the new age remedies.

Once I went to this guy who, after he found out that I had been bitten by a cougar once, stripped naked (yes, naked!) and danced around me banging on a drum. Weird? Actually, the weirdest part is that I felt right as rain after the session. Didn't go back tho.

It is pretty frustrating. I love my Aeron chair, don't get me wrong, but I have had it for 3 or 4 years. Haven't they come up with anything better?

Perhaps iGav found the perfect chair.
  8. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    >Perhaps iGav found the perfect chair.

It's iGavina, and I don't think you'd want to sit in it. :p :D

I have an "office chair" in NJ for where I use the Cube and watch TV. But the damn thing had problems from day 1. Originally, the ƒ!!king thing didn't ship with arms. Then, when I got the arms, they broke off. My father put in a temporary screw, or something, to keep the arms in tact. But, over time, the arms actually bent backwards, and every ƒ'ing time I bent them forward, they slowly bent back again. I told my father about it and he said it was impossible. I told him to take a look for himself and he refused. He was certainly acting like a dumbƒuck at the time.

Eventually, my father got the part for the chair and hooked up the arms as best as possible. They worked fine, except the little knob on the left arm was stuck inside the damn arm stand. So my father came back to the rescue and took down the arms. Now, the left arm has the knob facing the inside of the chair.

I've been having problems with the chair since, but not as much recently, with the arms unscrewing and becoming wavy.

I swear, if you have problems with any sort of chair or furniture on day 1, get the sh!tload returned for a refund. I still use the black chair, though, the $135 wheeled ash comforter. :rolleyes:
  9. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

Lay-Z-Boy recliner and a laptop is the way to go.
    i sit in it for at least 6 hours every day after i come home from work.
    no problems so far, yet my lap can get pretty hot after a while;)