Does your concept of beauty change as you age?

Discussion in 'Community' started by vniow, Dec 18, 2002.

1. vniow macrumors G4

A question for our elder members although younger ones can post too.[​IMG]

I'm not exactly sure where this question came from or why I'm asking, but oh well.[​IMG]

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Most definitely. When I was little (before puberty, it was more a
    'if you like the person' thing, and I have found that I am more
    attracted to the body now :D). That might seem shallow, but it
    is part of puberty. But I do realize that love and lust are two
    totally different things, and that I must look past what a person
    looks like. Stupid puberty :eek: ;) :D

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

of course.

i mean, it all depends on how you're raised and what you experience. but of course it changes.

on a similar (kind of) note... i've discussed with people the idea that there are different levels of hotness and such. purely superficial, but bear with me.

take howard stern. not exactly a stud if you were to see him on the street, and if he didn't have the star power. so he gets married to a "normal" woman and has kids, etc. as he becomes famous and powerful, he has the "access" to "hot" women, celebrities and such... is it understandable for someone like him to become less attracted, purely physically, to his wife?

now, howard stern is kind of a bad example because he has women naked in front of him all the time, and all that... but when he was married, he was faithful (claims he was at least) insofar as he didn't sleep with other women. looked but didn't touch... but that's besides the point.

are there levels of attractiveness? if we assume models and such as level a, with regressive levels down to say d.... if i am around a c, marry a c, then become famous and now am in the league to get a's.... is it understandable to become less attracted to my c wife?

just curious what people think

if you feel this is way off the idea of this thread, feel free to put it to a halt, but i think it's related.

also, i am in no way condoning such superficiality, and i believe that when you are so in love with a person, the physical stuff becomes more attractive to you (on a simple level, cool/nice people are automatically more attractive even physically because of their personality). and as such, i don't think that a person would become disgusted with their spouse having moved up these beauty levels. but, i think to have a higher standard so to speak is understandable.

all that said, i hate how the media controls our definition of beauty.

Cadence- by Boy Sets Fire

In this culture I am just the meat for vultures to pick
    Until my beauty shows for your glossy covers
    And in classy circles smother
    Have I nothing more to give
    And I would rather starve than lose this body.
    I would rather starve than lose your acceptance
    I need you love, I just need someone's approval. To put me back again
    Is this skin all you want, are aesthetics all you need
    Is this where I stand
    My eyes will always show my empty soul
    As you divert your eyes to my body
    (It's nothing to you, but it matters to me)
    I'm nothing to you but this shell that you see
    Rotting flesh for your eyes
    Wilting beauty for every goddamned girl to compare to
    Dear God why can't I be
    Dear God why can't I be more like him, more like her More or less like you

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I have to second that. I know people who I think are gorgeous
    but just knowing them affects my perception of them because of
    their awesome personality.

That goes both ways though :D ;) ;)

5. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Hell yea

I always thought looks mattered. When I was in like fifth grade there was this one girl that I thought was gorgeous.

Now I am a freshman in highschool, and OH DEAR GOD! The babes here are just....they just leave me speechless.

This one girl Kendell, she is simply irresistable. Man oh man....its like I can't keep my eyes off of her when she walks by.

We have quite a few hot freshman too :D

6. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Naw it's cool.[​IMG]

It's kinda how I wanted this thread to head anywayz, in hindsight, it should've been 'How does your concept of beauty change as you get older?' instead of 'does it'?

7. ibjoshua macrumors 6502a

ibjoshua

Everything is relative.

I think I'm attracted to the face and hair more than I was when I was younger.

I totally agree that's much easier to be attracted to people who have 'cool' personalities.

I'm also convinced that we're not truly in control of who we're attracted to. For instance, I'll look twice at most blondes even though in the long run I'm more attracted to darker haired people. What's going on there? It's definitely a knee-jerk reaction. Is it society or some sort of basic genetic/instinctive type thing?

One thing I've found is that if someone is interested in you then it makes them more atttractive (for a while anyway).

Just some thoughts. We could write multiple theses on this topic and still have whole areas to cover.

i_b_joshua

8. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Hmm, that's not been my experience so far.

When I've had people interested in me, it didn't neccecerally make them more attractive in my eyes.

My experience has been that it only works if it's mutual, not loving from afar of whatever.

Maybe it's just me though.

9. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i agree with i_b_joshua to an extent about if they have an interest in you

especially if you have low self esteem/aren't a real stud/studette with the gender of choice. i mean, there was a day when if any girl showed me interest, friendly or otherwise (was never "otherwise" ha!) then i'd immediately be into her... the key here i think is that it's not the physical thing that clicks first... if they like me, then i start to like them (in general) and with that, i start to be more attracted to them physically.... if that makes sense

if a person liking you is a
    you liking a person is b
    you being attracted to them physically is c

a comes first, then b, then c

rather then, a, c, b

in my opinion

ps. how geeky was that. i can't express my nerdness enough in art school.....

10. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Yeah I guess I could see it if you were one of those anti-social low self esteem kids.[​IMG]

But then again, I was one of those to an extent, and I didn't get all giddy when someone took an interest in me, I mean I'm not going to be automatically attracted to them just because they like me or whatever, I'm going to be attracted to them if I find them attractive.

Maybe I'm just picky.[​IMG]

11. Chomolungma macrumors regular

symmetry

I think the criteria for physical beauty remains the same for both sex and it is timeless. We will always find those who are symmetrical and well porportion to be attractive. Evidence for this idea is in our cosmetic industries (from makeup to plastic surgery).

As for beauty found in the heart? Who cares, as long as they are within the range of normal according to psychologists.:D

I'm a 27 year male.

12. ibjoshua macrumors 6502a

ibjoshua

Yeah, jelloshotsrule that's pretty much what I was getting at. It's good for the ego and naturally the ego wants more so starts messing with your emotions.

edvniow, I didn't mean it makes 'unattractive' people seem attractive if they're interested in you, but it certainly helps to make pople you've otherwise felt ambivalent towards seem more attractive.

i_b_joshua

13. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Yeah I guess that makes more sense. I can see where you're coming from now.[​IMG]

14. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i'm not a totally anti social no self esteem kid myself... but in high school, i had all male friends, but was "school friends" with a few girls. well, based on the fact that those girls talked to me at all (i'm not a freak, just happen to not had a lot of lady friends, really. ;)) i put them a step above the others.... now, the few i'm thinking of in particular also had other stuff to offer. smart, funny, etc. the fact is, anyone who would talk to me would need to have some similar qualities, as is normal in friendship. therefore, it's not some random person coming up in a bar (ha, bars...) and saying "what's up brah?" but rather, people i know somewhat, and start to know better... then i start to like them, then they become more physically attractive (not ugly to begin with, just not striking necessarily). then i become obsessed, then they get scared,

and repeat.

ha

but now i have a girlfriend. like 2.5 years. how freaky is that.

15. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Ha, I was completely the opposite.
    In HS, I had way more female friends then male and I always felt closer (in a non-sexual way) to my girl friends than my guy friends.

Guess I just relate better to my own gender then.[​IMG]

16. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

me too. as i said. ;)

17. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

While beauty is a factor, people learn over time that not everyone has a six pack or a hour glass form, and thus they begin to look for other qualities such as personality and honesty.

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Being 54, can't say that I see a real difference. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, an artistic concept. I like to admire beauty. What's inside is for keeps, won't change over time.

edvniow, will you help me with an Avatar?

19. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Sure but my editing tools are very limited since my computer with all my software on it is down at the moment due to lack of electricity.

What are you looking for?

20. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: symmetry

i saw an interesting tv show on beauty and while symmetry may hold a high premium, it does not always dictate the sexy factor

the highest regarded male movie star at the time of the show was harrison ford and he was found to be one of the most unsymetrical people in hollywood, so go figure

and for women, small chins were usually held at a premium, but the hottest female star at the time was melanie griffith, a woman with quite a big chin

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

edvniow, thank you. I'm willing to wait till your computer is up and running. I know that waiting will prove beneficial. Would like to get your suggestions. How long do you think it will be? Please let me know.
    :)

22. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

My computer's actually running now but power is still iffy here and it shuts off every time it blips so I'm leaving it off for now until things become more stable.

What kind of avatar are you looking for?

23. Chomolungma macrumors regular

Re: Re: symmetry

With regards to Harrison Ford being sexy, sure. Are we talking about physical beauty or sex appeal which is more important to mating to females? We all know that women have a list of sexy stars and beautiful stars, and by inlarge they match up that well.:D

24. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

Eh... *shrug*

Ya like who you like. :) I don't really judge on age, gender, anything... just shoot for whatever looks good.

I've been in a relationship for over a year now though, and I am very happy. :)

As for does it change with age... I donno... I am attracted to some people 30, and some people 13...

Don't tell anyone about that 13 thing. I'm still a teenager.. barely.

Just do whatever you want! As long as its legal and you like it (or even if it isn't legal, but should me *glare sodomy laws*), go for it!

25. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Holy **** man, that was deep. I'm still trying to get my head around that a b c thing. At last - a president with speaking skills!