Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your iPhone 5 screen click down

• Rock Solid

Votes: 184 65.2%
  • Top Right corner

Votes: 28 9.9%
  • Top Left corner

Votes: 25 8.9%
  • Bottom Right corner

Votes: 24 8.5%
  • Bottom Left corner

Votes: 35 12.4%

• Total voters

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
When I pinch the bottom right corner of my iPhone 5, the screen ‘clicks/creaks’ down a bit making a clicking noise.

My friends iPhone 5 don’t seem to have this issue.

I understand it’s hardly a huge problem, but I plan on keeping this phone for a couple of years so I don’t want this to be an issue that gets worse over time.

Does anybody else have this problem with their phone?

Or better yet, if you have this problem have you took it to an Apple store?

There are a couple of topics around on different forums that describe the same issue, so it would be interesting to hear.

As a disclaimer, this is not a problem I have gone looking for, it makes the clicking noise almost every time I hit the home button. I can hear and feel the screen clicking down slightly, which is a bit annoying.

I have the exact same problem!
Will be going to the apple store for a replacement on friday. :mad:

ColeBeans

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
Yeah I have the same problem, my top right cornerc clicks/creaks down when I press it. It doesn't even need much pressure. I can also tell if I push down a lot it will go away for a few seconds and then come back. Has anyone gone to the apple store and asked yet?

GarryBacon

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2009
United Kingdom
Had the exact same issue. Been replaced and this is now doing the same. Apple gave me £30 off the online store plus a new handset etc. but I have just emailed back to say that this one is doing it to. I will let you know what happens. Really annoying!! Everyone I show it to is like that's nothing but when you pay so much, why should I have a damaged unit. They where very polite. No appointment needed just walked in and waited to be seen swapped no questions asked.

rubined

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Had this problem with my bottom left corner. Tool it to apple store. Replaced it agreeing seeing what it did. No questions asked

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
It's a 14 day return policy. There's no reason to try and be sneaky or nervous about returning or exchanging your device unless the screen is shattered or you spray painted it or something. Just bring in your receipt and get a replacement.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I have this same problem as well! While the noise has stopped, I can still see the screen move up and down when I push on it and I just don't want it to get worse. I was worried about not being able to recreate the noise, but we're all within the 14 day return period until October 5th so as far as I know they don't have a choice but to replace it.

emsn

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
I have the exact same problem. Upper right side of the screen. The popping sound come randomly. Sometimes it goes away temporarily...Going into the apple store later this morning to see if i can get a replacement :confused:

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
I have the exact same problem. Upper right side of the screen. The popping sound come randomly. Sometimes it goes away temporarily...Going into the apple store later this morning to see if i can get a replacement :confused:

Ok cool let me know how you get on :)

acarney

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
I've got this problem with my replacement ipad 3. Didn't notice it till I got home which is killer since its a 2 hr drive. It's about a two inch area around the front camera. I'm sure they'll swap it out but it's finding the time... Oh well, I need to buy an iPhone 5 anyway :)

Millionaire2K

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
My phone is fine. Friends had this problem on top left. Apple store gave him another phone. All is good now.

emsn

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
After fiddling around with the screen, I found out that the popping sound disappears when the phone is a bit "warm" from use (e.g. playing a game or surfing the net for a while). I suspect its some kind of glue inside that causes this problem. When the phone is "cold" the popping sound comes back.

Hopefully I can replicate the problem when I'm at the Genius bar to get a replacement.

I have this same problem as well! While the noise has stopped, I can still see the screen move up and down when I push on it and I just don't want it to get worse. I was worried about not being able to recreate the noise, but we're all within the 14 day return period until October 5th so as far as I know they don't have a choice but to replace it.

If we go into the store and just say "I'm not satisfied with this product" would they give us a refund/exchange?

alphabetagaga

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
Hitchin, UK
i have the faintest of a inside noise (like a small bubble popping noise) when i press down on the left corner. but at the same time i cannot see that the corner has any play in it when i press down.

if the screen had any sort of play in it then i would be concerned.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Just visited the apple store. They've agreed that it shouldn't be doing that, and I've got an appointment in an hour to get it replaced. :)

Good service.

emsn

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Awesome. I'm heading over now. The popping sound on my phone seems to be gone as of this moment. But I'm gonna try getting a genius to open it up and have a look.

Edit: Did you recreate the problem when you were at the apple store in order to get a replacement?

Last edited:

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Awesome. I'm heading over now. The popping sound on my phone seems to be gone as of this moment. But I'm gonna try getting a genius to open it up and have a look.

Edit: Did you recreate the problem when you were at the apple store in order to get a replacement?

It clicked a few times but not always. He said, if your not happy then we can replace it. So he did!

alphabetagaga

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
Hitchin, UK
yes my 'pop' is sometimes there. sometimes not :confused: who knows perhaps i had it on my 4 but never noticed as i wasn't reading pesky forum threads! :p

greylee

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
OH GOd. thank you for the post. I had the exactly same problem!! front bottom right corner. I thought I was paranoid and crazy... but looks like it's a real problem.
I am going to the store Saturday to have it replaced.
but another question rise, should we be entitled to a brand new phone (in regular retail box sealed) or a replacement phone?!!!! coz i have read that some people were able to get a unopened brand new phone?!

emsn

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Just got my phone checked. They said they took the screen off from the metal frame and had a look inside. Said there was no problem with it.

Hope remounted screen kills the problem lol

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
After fiddling around with the screen, I found out that the popping sound disappears when the phone is a bit "warm" from use (e.g. playing a game or surfing the net for a while). I suspect its some kind of glue inside that causes this problem. When the phone is "cold" the popping sound comes back.

Hopefully I can replicate the problem when I'm at the Genius bar to get a replacement.

If we go into the store and just say "I'm not satisfied with this product" would they give us a refund/exchange?

I believe so! As long as you didn't throw it at the wall or take it for a swim! They'll more expect you to display the problem if you go to the genius bar, but your 14 day return policy is no different there. They do have the obligation to give you a new out-of-box model since you're within the 14 days, but if they don't have any in stock they'll give you a swap model, which is just as good. If they happen to have one in stock you don't need an appointment, but you do if they give you a swap model.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
How did you guys even notice is it clicking with just a slight push and wipe down of the screen, like that sloppy? Or are you guys pressing the glass with force?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.