Does your Mac Pro beep?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by djhspawn, Nov 5, 2006.

1. djhspawn macrumors member

Here is my weird situation, I started to notice that my mac pro beeps. It is every so often with no rhym or reason. I first started to notice it when I was booted to XP, but it is also doing it in OSX. Does this happen to any one else? I assume it is coming out of the internal speaker.

2. FireArse macrumors 6502a

I dn't mean to worry you, but my Mac Pro (2.66) doesn't beep at all. The Dual G5 did - but this baby is as quiet as a mouse :)

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Mine doesn't beep. Maybe it's lonely, buy another one to keep it company!

4. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Nope, no beeping here either. But my MP doesnt seem quite as a mouse. Bout the same as the iMac G5 in noise.

EDIT: Figured out the extra noise is from my graphics card. otherwise, only one of the 2 front fans is on, and even that is barely turning!

5. vinylator macrumors newbie

Yeah, mine beeps too, I wonder what it is.

MacPro 2.66 / 23 ACD

6. djhspawn thread starter macrumors member

I have to find out what it is. This is bugging the crap out of me, I even think its happening more frequently now.:confused:

7. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

any chance that you can record the beep?

Mine makes a little "beep-like" sound when one of my seagate drives wakes up. but that's completely normal...

8. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Mine makes a sound that could be called I beep I guess from one or more of the hard drives. It makes a kind of beeping noise when it spins up after not being used in a while.

9. wsgroves macrumors member

We had a dell at work that would beep for no reason randomly. Never did figure out what the problem was but dell replaced it right quick.

10. techster85 macrumors regular

My mac pro would beep when i left my 4 gb USB memory key plugged in, when I unplugged it, the beeping stopped. It would beep on start up and would not boot up properly, so i think the beeps were diagnostic not random, but mine did actually beep.

11. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Does the beep sometimes last longer than other times? It may be a hard drive beeping. My Maxtors will beep if they get too hot.

12. richpjr macrumors 68020

richpjr

I am getting it too. I can't figure out what it is.

13. djhspawn thread starter macrumors member

the hard drives eh? I will have to monitor that and see if there is any link between the two. Thanks for the info everyone.

14. kered22 macrumors 6502

kered22

Mine did that a couple of nights ago. I was talking with my girlfriend and then there was a whole bunch of disk activity for about.. 10 seconds or so, then I heard the beep. It's only done that 3 or so times before, but I'm not sure if it was the hard drives or something on the motherboard. I have 300GB and 400GB SATAI drives in there along with the SATAII 500GB from Apple (Seagate 7200.9) and neither of the SATA I drives has ever beeped. So if it the hard drive, it's the Seagate.

I remember the IBM and subsequently Hitachi drive had that chirp that would emit about every 24 hours. Maybe this is something similar? For those that do have the beep, what drives do you have?

15. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I have Maxtor's, but they were recently acquired by Seagate, so I wonder if that carried over.

16. Neonguy macrumors 6502

I have the beep too! But only when I restart my Computer! :D

17. rdirkmaat macrumors newbie

I don't think it has anything to do with the harddrives. Have the same problem with my 4 days old MP 3GHz 2GB. When I'm rendering a scene in 3Dstudio on windowsXP(using 100% processor), it produces very high beeps randomly and with random length. It's making me crazy, since the beep is as high-frequency as a fire-alarm. Did anyone already find a solution? maybe a EFI up- or downgrade?

18. richpjr macrumors 68020

richpjr

The beeps I get don't sound like that, they sound like an application or the OS doing something. It's very irritating.

19. kered22 macrumors 6502

kered22

That's not a beep, that's a bong! :D

20. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

lmao

21. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

One idea: mail finishing syncing with your account?

David

22. GergNotwen macrumors newbie

Beeping on My Mac Pro

Mine beeped from the day I got it. I thought it was my UPS but no luck. Shut down machine and removed RAM and reset the SMU switch on the motherboard. Reinstalled Ram. Restarted and zapped PRAM on startup and all is well. Now yesterday I ran the new Mac Pro EFI update and it is BACK AGAIN... Did the same routine and it still beeps. I just don't know what to try now. Any suggestions???

23. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Some computers just 'reject' windows, kind of like an organ transplant.

24. richpjr macrumors 68020

richpjr

Okay, this is embarrassing - my beep was the Entourage no mail sound! Thank you orangezorki - that was driving me crazy, but I couldn't figure out what it was.

25. djhspawn thread starter macrumors member

I still have the same issue and that is not the problem./