Does your MacBook have defects?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by storage, May 28, 2006.

?

Does your MacBook have defects?

1. One or more major defects.

26 vote(s)
    14.4%
  2. One or more minor defects.

49 vote(s)
    27.1%
  3. No defects.

110 vote(s)
    60.8%
  1. storage macrumors 6502

How many of you have some kind of defect on your new MacBook, and how many have a "perfect" MacBook, without any defects? I just wanted to ask this before I throw all my money on a laptop, which I wish won't have any major defects.

If your MacBook has any defects, I'd be really happy to know what kind of defects it has.

Thanks for taking your time, storage :).

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Absolutely perfect. Quiet. Warm but not hot. Bitchin'.

May I suggest a poll rather than just a thread?

3. storage thread starter macrumors 6502

I was making the poll while you posted, sorry about that :p.

4. dylan macrumors 6502

Mine moo's and whines and the temperature is at 64 with just safari open...

Also the trackpad button only works on one side...

Lovely machine otherwise.

5. storage thread starter macrumors 6502

6. the Western zoo macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

silent, well temperatured and absolutely great! no complaints from my side! :)

7. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

the only defect mine has is that the left inside cover (like to the left of the keyboard) isn't sealed flush like the right side. but it's so minimal that I'll only notice it when I press down on it (and then it squeaks)....I think I'll just learn to deal with it. that's my only issue. do dead pixels or whine. well i kinda have a question....is text and images on screen supposed to blur a little when i scroll? for ex., the macrumors main page get's blurry and the maroon title bars turn light red in color. I'm guessing this is normal for an LCD screen, but then again I've never had a laptop so what do I know?

8. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

That is normal yes. I would still take the machine back for that case issue you're having though. These things are supposed to be A1 perfect considering the amount of money they cost. :cool:

9. TallShaffer macrumors member

Mine does the very light mooing (I don't count that as a defect, I appreciate that it only makes noise .0000001% of the time when not playing games).

The only 'defect' is that the caps lock key, when hit at the top, pops in a weird angle.
    http://www.emakins.com/videos/capslock.AVI

I'm not sure if that video is clear enough, it was taken using an old dig. camera in low light.

Also, the space bar gets jammed periodically so the right side of it doesn't work (not a huge deal, usually use the middle and the left side of the space bar).

10. storage thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks a lot everyone :). Seems like about half of the MacBooks so far have one or more minor defects, and the other half has no defects. Seems okay to me.

More feedback is appreciated :).

11. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Mine's been essentially perfect for the first couple of weeks. As of this moment there is a very quiet mooing, although my first reaction wasn't so much 'Agh! Noise!' as 'Hey, that does sound like a Moo.'

Oop, it just disappeared.

12. storage thread starter macrumors 6502

"Tack för din beställning."

No turning back now :). Waiting for the confirmation mail, how long should it takes before I get the mail?

Edit: Got it. First time ordering with a creditcard was a little nerve wrecking, thought I entered the wrong e-mail and stuff :p. Praying for a non-defect MacBook now :eek:.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Mines perfect. V.Quiet except when reading a disc?
    No dead pixels, no mooing, no whining, no squeaky latch etc....

Love it.

14. wxboss macrumors member

wxboss

My inside left cover is the same way except without any squeaking. It really is pretty minimal, and I don't see a need at this point to take it back especially since yours is the same way. Otherwise, it has been great! No hicups, no crashes - fast and smooth. I love the Core Duo! It's fast :)

15. storage thread starter macrumors 6502

A little off topic but, how much memory do you have in your MacBook? :)

16. wxboss macrumors member

wxboss

I got the standard 512MB. I planned on upgrading sometime in the future, but I've had several apps (Safari, Mail, Adium, iChat and one or two others I can't recall now) with very little if any performance hit. So far the stock RAM is doing well for me and how I use the computer.

17. storage thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh good :). I was planning on getting 2 GB at first, but I decided to go with 1 GB, and was afraid it would be too little.

The people who voted they had major defects, could you please write what kind of defects? :(

18. iHeartTheApple macrumors 6502

iHeartTheApple

My MB seems to be perfectly fine. No sounds, no excessive heat...I'm satisfied. :)

19. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

yeah ive decided that im gonna take it up to the store this week (most likely tomorrow). do you think they will try to repair it there? will I have to wait a week for them to fix it? Or will I get a new one right on the spot?....doubt the last one will happen but one can hope, right?

20. storage thread starter macrumors 6502

I just read about MagSafe ports melting and catching fire and stuff. Scared me a lot, almost made me regret ordering a MacBook.

How many of you have melted MagSafe ports?

21. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Haven't heard much about this one, wouldn't worry about it must be like finding a needle in a hay stack, no reason to sweat over ordering a MacBook....

I will vote in this Poll on Tuesday when I recieve my MB hopefully it will be faultless!!!:D

SHadoW

22. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

With regard to the MagSafe melting problem, I was under the impression that it was a fluke accident on the initial run of MBPs. I remember only one incident of it with pictures being reported and Apple asking that the person remove them.

There have been more reports? And there have been reports directly correlated to the MacBook itself?

On topic, though, no my MacBook is running at a consistent and stable level. No bugs, problems or errors to report!

23. wxboss macrumors member

wxboss

I've only heard of this once, and it was on a MBP not a MB. I've had mine connected to A/C for a couple days straight without any issues.

24. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

And it happened after the owner's cat peed on it.

My wife's is one of the now 71% with no defects.

25. jesusphreak macrumors member

My SuperDrive was messed up.

If I put a CD/DVD in with any sort of scratches, the program (whether it be iTunes or iDVD) would freeze up and the drive would start spinning. I'd have to Force Quit to get it to stop, but even then sometimes it would take awhile for the Force Quit to take effect and sometimes I'd have to totally restart my PC.

I took it into an Apple store near here and the Mac Genius took a look at it and decided it needed to be replaced. So I'll be getting a new one whenever they get new shipments in.

That was the only (albeit a big one) problem with my MacBook. I'm hoping my new one has no problems at all.