Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

does your mba lie flat

• yes

Votes: 112 64.0%
  • no

Votes: 42 24.0%
  • sort of

Votes: 21 12.0%

• Total voters

neilk2350

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003
mine wobbles too! Just barely. The front-left rubber foot does not sit flat on a desk!
take it to genious bar? i wont pay 3 grand for a wobbly computer... although i dont want to wait for a new one

instant hit

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2008
only reservation so far is you have to make sure that the magsafe is fully inserted, or else it will definitely raise up the left side accordingly.

ciparis

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
Mine wasn't flat (I set it on a glass desk, so I know it wasn't the desk). After making sure the feet were all flush and properly mounted, I gave the bottom part of the case a bit of a gentle flex in the front corner that was too high. Immediate improvement on the first try, and fixed completely after the second. YMMV, don't try this at home, IANAT, IYBIDCCTM, etc. :)

neilk2350

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003
only reservation so far is you have to make sure that the magsafe is fully inserted, or else it will definitely raise up the left side accordingly.

mine is in all the way. it wobbles between the other two feet. i'm shocked, really

it's not like i havent bought a sony vaio with wobbly battery and cheap hinges but...

instant hit

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2008
mine is in all the way. it wobbles between the other two feet. i'm shocked, really

it's not like i havent bought a sony vaio with wobbly battery and cheap hinges but...

that's interesting. is there a way to get a "born on" date for mac hardware? at work right now and i have to look productive :)

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
This is the freaking problem with Apple nowadays--their quality is simply terrible.

From bugs in the iPod OS, to Leopard being released months early, to heat issues, to dozens of issues with the displays, etc., etc., etc. Apple is simply a mess.

bitty417

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
I had this same problem out of the box. One little flex on the corner immediately resolved. I personally would consider this a non issue.

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
Did some wobble tests and purposely made my glass desk unbalanced. Only slight wobble when the glass is unbalanced. Maybe try to see if it wobbles on top of the packaging box?

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
Guys have you tried to see if it wobbles on top of the packaging?

It might just be unbalanced surfaces

The other thing is if you are pushing down on the front of it, wobbles because of the tapered edge. Is that what you guys are calling wobble? It's easier to now use the keyboard with the MBA so adjust your hands and wrists accordingly.

jameskohn

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2006
Connecticut
This is the freaking problem with Apple nowadays--their quality is simply terrible.

From bugs in the iPod OS, to Leopard being released months early, to heat issues, to dozens of issues with the displays, etc., etc., etc. Apple is simply a mess.

Yeah, because other companies of similar scale do it so much better. Probably ought to switch to Vista for a trouble free experience and superior user interface. Yeah, "Apple is simply a mess". Right.

neilk2350

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003

The other thing is if you are pushing down on the front of it, wobbles because of the tapered edge. Is that what you guys are calling wobble? It's easier to now use the keyboard with the MBA so adjust your hands and wrists accordingly.

wobbles is wobbles. i put it down on any surface metal glass (must be hard so the box doesn't count) and it's like a chair or table with a bad leg. i moves back and forth. with our without the adapter

neilk2350

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003

the box doesn't count it's soft. any hard surface

DaLurker

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
wobbles is wobbles. i put it down on any surface metal glass (must be hard so the box doesn't count) and it's like a chair or table with a bad leg. i moves back and forth. with our without the adapter

I was using one at the Eaton Center Apple Store in Toronto and noticed immediately the wobbly bottom.

Flex it back, if it doesn't work then I'd go get a new one. A wobbly machine is definitely annoying...

mctheriot

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
Mine was flat when I first got it - after being on and running - the left front is off. That happens to be the hottest part of the unit. Hmmm

Mark

sosnow

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
I had a small wobble. I tried to do the small flex solution and it got worse. I then realized I was flexing the corner in question. I gently flexed the opposite corner and it is now :Dperfect.

Kinda scary flexing this beautiful and expensive machine.

neilk2350

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003
I had a small wobble. I tried to do the small flex solution and it got worse. I then realized I was flexing the corner in question. I gently flexed the opposite corner and it is now :Dperfect.

Kinda scary flexing this beautiful and expensive machine.

so how did you flex it. that scares me also. did you lift it in the air and then tug or just push it against the desk? seems so wrong

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.