does your school have grade inflation?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Apr 29, 2004.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

and what is this 5.0 scale you younguns are under...sheesh, i wish i had that ;)

2. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

My high school had some 5 point classes, they were the AP or "advanced" classes.

They also have 3 point classes, which were like shop and other "hands on" things.

It really suck though, because if you want to in the top of your class, you have to stay away from the 3 point classes.

Of course the class rankings were all a scam anyways. Only the kids with "wealthy & influential" parents got in the top 10.

3. powerbook4me macrumors member

Umm, how did parents influence this? lol

4. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

no, my college doesn't have grade inflation, and man, does it hurt the old GPA...

5. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i took a bunch of ap classes but twenty five years ago, they were on a 4.0 scale like all other classes

if i had gotten extra credit towards my gpa, i might have done better

at least my hs was fair in its grading and grade inflation did not exist

some teachers don't like grade inflation and while being forced by administration not to give D/F grades, to keep overall school enrollment up, they will then be stingy with A grades and sometimes force the student to score 95 or higher in order to get that A grade

private hs and college in general have gone up in tuition and now retaining student body is an economic necessity for the institution's survival

if i were a hs or college teacher and banned from giving D/F grades, i would be very stingy with not only A grades, but also with B+ grades...that is unless the administration threatened to kick me out on the street ;)

here's how i would break it down if the admin took me to a back room and beat me with rubber clubs and forbid me to fail students/give Ds

A+, no such grade from me
    A, 95 to 100 percent
    A-, 92 to 94 percent
    B+, 90 or 91 percent
    B and B-, over 80 percent
    all C grades, all stuff from 0 to 80 percent

but some colleges only give "whole" grades (like mine) with no plus or minus designations so i would break it down like this if i taught there and not allowed to give "bad" grades:

A, 95 to 100 percent
    B, 80 to 94 percent
    C, under 80 percent

and i had a teacher who, though hated, broke it down like this:

A, 100 percent
    B, 80-99 percent

i got a 98.5 so i was not an A

my teacher friend who teaches at a military grad school was held back in position of full professor for 13 years...what he could have achieved at year 3 or 4 with the title of full professor he did at year 17...he just would not teach his class below the so called graduate school level that the school was supposed to be at...but being forced to graduate officers allowed the school to teach high school level algebra II if warranted to get the student through with a passing grade

6. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Well the girl that got valevectorian was also the daugther of our counseler. Our counseler was the one who decided the final ranks.

There were also kids who weren't in the top 10, but after their parents talked to principal, things changed.

Everyone knew what was going on, but no one did/does anything about it.

7. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

After I graduated last year, my high school started using a weighted scale where an A- is under a 4, and a b+ is over a 3. I guess after having 8 (of 115) students in my graduating class with 4.0s they wanted to change something. For our "Advanced" classes you could get college credit through the local University, not an extra point on your GPA.

8. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    When I graduated the difference between #1 and #2 was that #2 had taken an extra class of Band.

I was #90 something.

9. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

hey it's not fair and welcome to the real world

college has some weird policies, too (see my example in previous post)...and many schools are easier on star jocks but some, like stanford, go against the grain and their lack of an ncaa march madness title in more than 60 years is the final result of their strict policy toward their sports stars

many top schools don't give anybody an easier ride and thus never win anything big in sports

it would be huge news if someone like dartmouth, harvard, princeton, or stanford won the march madness these days and took home the ncaa title

10. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

i think the "real world" is MORE fair than school. Also isn't school real? That's a real world. By the same line of thinking the work world could be thought of as not being the real world either.

11. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

outside of working for a school, a school is only real as in the fact that it exists

the working world is far different than going after grades

now if you could get paid for good grades and get fired from school or have a whole slew of kids get fired from school due to a bad economic downturn, then school would be more "real"

the stakes are never as high as a student than as a working individual in the real world

that's not to say that school is less stressful...it can be

and that's not to say school doesn't require 40 hours a week...some students easily spend more than that with class, activities, and homework

and school is no less honorable than having a job...they both serve a valid and necessary role in society

much, if not most of, what we learn in school is not directly applicable to the working world...trade schools hit closer to home but still are not good indicators of what any job entails day in and day out...nothing beats work experience for finding out about work

12. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I just graduated from high school last june and my school had a 5.0 for AP and Honors classes, I graduated with a 4.6 and was ranked about 35 ... this being said, when my mom went to high school in the 70s she had a weighted scale too for AP classes so this is by no way a new system ...

My college weights plusses and minuses if a course uses them. It kind of sucks when you get the a- and it counts as a 3.67 but you get over that pretty fast. The only dissapointing part is that an A+ counts for nothing extra ... which ameks sense to prevent above a 4.0 but sucks for people who cold have used that boost once ina while ...

Hmm next you guys can analyze the mystery of the rotating schedule ... i ahd one in middle school and it kept you thinking on your feet, It ws good for two years but nice to settle into a daily routine once i got to high school

13. jzieske macrumors regular

When I graduated my highschool was using a 13 point scale. Despite trying to figure it out for four years nobody I asked could make any sense of it. I have never heard anybody who is not from around here talk about this system. I am thinking it must be some weird Minnesota thing.

14. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its a communist plot developed in the 60s to remove God from the lives of people. Its phase 1. You go to a 6 day schedule so that classes can be split odd and even. Phase 2 is going to school full time on saturday. Phase 3 is moving all extracurricular activities to sunday to stop people from going to church.

*adjusts tin foil hat* The people in the black helicopters say I'm paranoid too.

15. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

wait a minute, I thought GPA determined class rank!! how do people get to decide numerical order??

16. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

My high school was on a 12 point system. Then I went to Purdue where they were on a 6 piont system (Just add two to the 4 point scale - so a 4.0 at Purdue was a 2.0 everywhere else!). Both places are on 4 point now. Purdue does not use +/- grades, but Penn State did. My students always complained because I wouldn't grade anything using the +/-. A few of them should have thanked me for it!

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Did you know that a Stanford student can withdraw from a class AFTER the final exam if they don't like their grade in the class? They can retake it with no penalty other than paying for the class again. Kinda helps keep your school GPA up that way. I don't know if you can call that grade inflation, but its something similar.

There's a couple classes I would have liked to take over if I could have withdrawn after the fifth week with no mention of it on my transcript! :eek:

18. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

#%*#% mulligans.

19. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Does that meant they know their course grade at that point - or just how hard the final was??

20. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Or maybe they just knew how to spell words like "wealthy". ;)

Edit: Added a smiley to let Dippo know that I'm just picking on him. Or her.

21. applebum macrumors 6502

Most colleges have something like this called grade forgiveness. However, you get a grade for the first class - say an F - then you take the class again and pay for it yourself. If you make an A, that takes the place of the F when determining your GPA. However the F and the A still show up on your transcript. This is done with many of your General Ed. classes, but rarely done with upper level classes.

22. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

For some reason, I keep on hearing about grade inflation, but I have a feeling this may be more of a california problem than east coast (opinion based on persona experience).

Nearly 90% of the people i know (friends, family, cousins) in California have personal tutors, took SAT classes, etc. etc. This probably also has to do with how hard Berk/LA and other UCal schools are hard to get into (oh and Stanford is there too).

In Maryland, i don't think a single person I knew had a tutor, especially a personal tutor. Second, I only knew one person with a 4.0 And on a weighted scale, very few even got more than a 4.5. I always find it funny when older people constantly complain about grade inflation--are you still a 14-17 year old in high school? I know as we get older, we love to theorize and pretend that its like the old days--but its not. Hell i'm out of high school for 2 years, I still find it funny how parents talk about this. You take honors bio (one of the hardest sophmore classes in the school) and pass a test. That or go into the much vaunted Honors Chem class -- only 2-3 people pass with A's.

Yeah UMD only lets u drop a class after 2 weeks, then it has a W on the transcript :(

--ok I see we're talking about college too--
    Since I'm in the Engineering College @ College Park, I can definitely tell you there is NO inflation. They practically fail 10-20% of the freshmen/sophs through the first 4 courses (weeder courses). Especially if you get the "anal" prof, you will be guaranteed a C (this is what i call reverse grade inflation :) )

Course if you take a bullsh** major @ MD or any other college (criminal justice/communication for example), then yes, you will have a 4.0 GPA. Yeah, you did like 1/3 of the work of engineers, or biz majors (while I hesitate to say that).

We have a saying at Maryland--as your GPA in engineering goes to 0, what does the limit go to? Oh, business. The irony is that Maryland is ranked pretty high in business school.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, but from my understanding the F wouldn't show up on your transcript if you're at Stanford, while the A would. I have no firsthand knowlege of this myself, but 2 different Stanford grads have told me about it.

24. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i think with the cal state system, you can have two bad grades tossed from your undergraduate record, and retake them and take the higher grade

if you don't retake the two worst grades, and they are below C-, then they are not averaged into the overall gpa

but after that, if you retake a class, which has to be below a C-, then the admissions and records people average the bad grade and the retaken higher grade

when applying to graduate school, in any american accredited system, they won't look at your overall gpa but the two last years since they are harder...if you started school very well like many do since it's mostly general ed but finished up with a mediocre record, somewhere below a 3.0 gpa, then they may not let you in...you may have to settle for a less pretigious graduate program...some graduate programs only say you need to have your last 60 units be a 3.0, but really won't look at anybody under a 3.5...ie) stanford

the only organization i have ever heard of that looks at all you schooling, the first two easy years and the harder last two years, is the federal government...you can start at a higher salary and are rewarded for a good gpa, even if you did terribly in your last two years but aced your first two thus giving one a good "number" when taken as a whole...but then again, the government does not try for the best and brightest

...and as for stanford, the student who gets a bad grade would probably get an A grade in a lesser school for the same amount and quality of work...it's kind of like saying, that batter from the giants sucks...he only hits .205...but bring that batter to a less rigorous league, let's say college division III or high school baseball, then he would be hitting .600 with no problem

cut down stanford all you like but for most of us college grads and students, our college is like daycare compared to the likes of stanford...sure the kids there all have high gpas, but they were either the top or very very near the top of the hs or junior college before they got accepted to stanford...i live near the school and all my life, i am yet to meet a stupid person from there...in many other schools, i have met kids who are not quite up to par

stanford winning the ncaa in basketball would be amazing...five genius eggheads on a court who could rebound, shoot, free throw, and sink 3s with the best of the best in college sports? the cardinals came close this year, but got outclassed by students who probably didn't have to study as hard...if you are a great basketball player, you still will not be ncaa champion material unless you have the time to practice all the time...stanford does not give any of its jocks that leniency...i place my money on finding the best hopefuls for college basketball from the blacktops of big cities, not from the science fair and spelling bees yet stanford always gets the nerds for their basketball team because, after all, they are choosing from a student body of 1500+ sat brains and valedictorians

it is possible that stanford may never win the ncaa title ever again

25. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

john elway

and remember john elway the two ring superbowl champ?

he played several sports at stanford and because of the academic rigor of the school, he had to miss on sports time and games because the classes would not bend and he remnided his pro teamates of that on the broncos who went to less rigorous schools who would supply its jocks with girls, booze, and gifts of various sorts ;)

elway admitted to being an egghead jock while at stanford...and his girlfriend at the time first didn't want to date him because he was such a nerd