Doesn't it suck when you want a console for ONE game?

Discussion in 'Games' started by neoelectronaut, Nov 15, 2004.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

You know, the PS2 is next to NOTHING that interests me that isn't available for the GCN...except for one thing.

KATAMARI DAMACY

I swear to *** that one of these days I'm gonna break down and buy a PS2 just to play that ONE game. Gah. I hate it.

2. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

sure you'll buy it for the ONE game but eventualy you'll hit up your Blockbuster or Hollywood Video store and rent a few games then fall in love with them :)

then everything will be swweeeeeet :D

3. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

There are neither of those in this area.

I literally have never rented a videogame since the NES days.

4. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

You're kidding, right? PS2 emulation on a computer that can barely handle Quake 3 at anything above 1024x768?

5. JoshRtek macrumors member

I bought a GameCube for this exact reason. I love the Resident Evil games, and when Capcom when Nintendo, so did I, and only for the remake and Resident Evil Zero. Sold the system and both games two months later.

6. Spymit007 macrumors regular

Spymit007

I have been a Nintendo fan since the NES days but there are days when I think about buying PS2 for the Grand Theft Auto series...

7. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

If you get ANY video game system, get a Gamecube.
    99 bucks. You CAN afford it. You bought a Mac right?
    It has great games. Memory Card not included, so pick one up.
    I'd recomend the following games:

Metroid Prime (Adventure. It looks like a shooter, but it isn't.)
    Metroid Prime 2 (Adventure. It looks like a shooter, but it isn't.)
    Viewtful Joe (Side Scrolling Old School beat-em-up, combined with some insane graphics and features)
    Beyond Good and Evil (Action RPG)
    Metal Arms: Glitch in the System (Third Person Shooter)
    The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Action RPG)
    Super Smash Brothers Melee

Enjoy.

8. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

The PS2 is a naff machine, favoured by Chavs, tracksuits, pikies etc the world over but there are a few games for it that i want that havn't been released on either the GC or xBox. :mad:

R Type Final
    Gradius 5
    The new Ico game, or the old one for that matter.
    Katamari Damacy.
    Sega Rally 3 - which has been confirmed for PS2 but hopefully should be released on the xBox.

As for old consoles, i have loads but am trying to find an NTSC Nes on eBay for some full screen retro fun.

Price in UK Lots :(
    Price in US (Not Lots) :)

Oh Well.

9. Jaz macrumors regular

I offer myself for the same crime.

Exhibit A:
    Organised an Xbox as payment from a client just to play Halo 2.

Exhibit B:
    Have a Half Life 2 Collectors Edition on order and will build a PC just to play said game plus the Source versions of HL1 and CS.

:cool:

10. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

got PS2 for that reason. im a big matrix fan and cant get enter the matrix for mac. i ended up getting a couple other games for it an enjoyed it a bit. but now it is mostly used as a DVD player for my TV! im about to build a windows gaming machine for the matrix online b/c it is only availible for PC. thats life. but i must admit its a bit easier forking over money for a PS2 than it will be for a PC :-/ its been more than 2 years since ive had a PC. but i guess it will be only for games so it will be ok. maybe i will get a second HD and load unix on it to use when im not gaming.

11. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

For me it is all about Final Fantasy. I didn't buy a PS2 until Final Fantasy X came out. Actually Final Fantasy is the reason I got a PS1 too.

I have to wonder how many customers Nintendo lost when Squaresoft (now Square Enix) moved the Final Fantasy series from Nintendo's consoles to Sony's.

Of course I bought other games for both the PS2 and PS1, but it was Final Fantasy that got me to make the initial purhase. And, when Final Fantasy comes to the PS3, I'll probably have to by one of those too.

12. benpatient macrumors 68000

GTA, Final Fantasy, Ico, Gran Turismo, xenosaga.

those are the reasons to buy a PS2. Those are almost the only reasons to buy any console, from my point of view. thus I own only the PS2...and proudly...even if it is a little, tiny bit behind the times. The only game I want an xbox for is Project Gotham 2 because they put some nice porsches in there. stupid Gran Turismo is my second favorite racing game because it lacks Porsche and ferrari. And no, an RUF is not a porsche. It's overpowered to the point of absurdity, especially in GT3...A modern 911 is a sophisticated beast, not an unruly monster. I don't buy the licensing "exclusivity" claims that are always raised by GT fans for the lack of porsches and ferraris in their game. They just won't pay the licensing fees. Porsche even lets the game makers show damage to their cars...which is often an excuse for developers skimping on the brand...thus, my favorite game is NFS: Porsche Unleashed. I wish they'd remake it someday...The career mode is simply amazing...and the test driver challenges become more difficult towards the end than even getting gold in your GT3 licenses...excellent game.

13. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Don't feel bad. A lot of people are buying Xbox just for Halo 2. Like me :D
    And GTA and Star Wars games.

14. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I used to have both a GameCube and a PS2. I still have the cube (lots of games I like for it) but I gave the PS2 to my nephews b/c the only game I ever played on it was Castlevania Lament of Innocence (great game by the way).

15. bnemesis macrumors regular

Yeah, there is nothing on the PS2 that interests me either, until I saw the new Berserk game for it. Its based on the manga, unlike the Dreamcast Berserk game. The only thing I have in my favor is that its japanese only :p

16. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I uh...already do have a Gamecube. That was the point of this thread. Saying that I have a Gamecube, and it's great, but there's ONE game that I want that's only available on the PS2.

17. 7on macrumors 601

7on

What is sad is that I bought a gamecube for one game...
    Zelda 2005 ;P

Though I did pick up a few other titles like MarioKart, SSB, and a couple others.

18. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Yes, it sucks.

I would buy an X-Box for Doom 3 and the new Outrun but I am not going to. I could spend that money to get several great games for the platforms I allready have.

19. switcheroo macrumors newbie

mac and nintendo

i think its funny everyone seems to be big fans of the gc rather than the ps2. i can definitely see how the gamecube would appeal to mac users.

20. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

My big debate is whether or not to buy a network adapter and FFXI w/HD for the PS2. It's another 140 bones! Practically the same issue, even though it involves the same system.

21. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Fanal Fantasy

If you have the original PS2 then get the game and hard drive while you still can. The new PS2 lacks the option to do so.

Personally I did not get into Final Fantasy 7 but the game was an important milestone for video games: it was the biggest video game release of its time, bringing a lot of large scale production to its industry. Since then, every major publisher seems to have fifty million dollars to invest in their big game.

22. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

an extra system will open up doors

i bought a gamecube for the soul purpose of playing metal gear solid: the twin snakes back in march. since then, though - i was exposed to viewtiful joe, metroid prime and spiderman 2 (all systems)

but now i'm back on PS2 and am loving GTA:San Andreas and my shiny new copy of Metal Gear Solid 3:Snake Eater.

PS2 may be an inferior machine, but the (temporarily) exclusive games on it now are worth the buy. plus, PS2 doesn't have much first person shooters, which appeals to me :)

anyways, i digress - but the point was that it might be good for you to pick up a PS2 just to play one game, it'll definitely lead to more things. i probably would've never known what 'henshin-a-go-go-baby' means had i not been a metal gear fanatic.

23. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Can reccomend Outrun2.

Very playable and On-Line is a hoot, no slow down and very responsive.

Best Played with Dolby Digital :D