Dog freezes to sidewalk

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MattG, Dec 8, 2008.

1. macrumors 68040

MattG

http://blogs.dogtime.com/the-news-hound-blog/by-tag/border collie

Instead of arresting her, they should leave HER stupid ass out in the 6-degree cold for a night, see if she makes it.

2. macrumors 603

SkyBell

...How exactly did it freeze to a concrete sidewalk?:eek:

3. macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I'm wondering the same thing. He would have laid in the same spot for hours to be able to freeze to the ground like that, maybe that would explain why he is obese.

And I'm sorry but no matter what the temperature is, my animals are not coming inside with me.

4. thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

He's obese because she overfeeds him. If you can't take care of your animals properly, you shouldn't be allowed to keep them. Period.

How compassionate of you. Maybe you'll be on the news next.

5. macrumors P6

dukebound85

so what about every adult who has chubby kids or is fat themselves, should they not be allowed to keep their kids or have control over themselves? lol your logic is amusing to say the least

i wonder how coyotes, foxes, wolves, and pretty much every other animal makes it.....:rolleyes:

i wont bring my dogs in but will have them stay in garage when really cold with their soft bed. however all dogs should have some form of shelter to protect against wind imo

6. thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

Coyotes, foxes and wolves are built to endure staying outside and they're used to it -- it's in their genes. A domesticated house-pet is quite different.

7. macrumors P6

dukebound85

you do know where dogs originated from dont you....

i better tell my friends who have huskies to bring them inside on cold nights:cool:

if its a short haired dog, yes they arent able to stay outside and hence let them in a garage with a bed.

8. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

9. macrumors P6

dukebound85

it really is but i think the punishment is too harsh

10. macrumors 68040

velocityg4

What about a Siberian Husky or an Alaskan Malamute?

I do agree if you own a breed of domesticated animal not bread for the cold then you should provide appropriate shelter. Many of the breeds were never meant to be house pets, they were bread to be work animals. Some were/are purely for display, though most breeds have a function that is no longer needed.

edit: When thinking of this story all I can think of is the dog in Joe Dirt with its privates frozen on the porch.:p

11. macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Those breeds are trained in the cold, and can endure it longer than most, but it doesn't mean they won't freeze. The Iditarod race is a good example of the training.

12. macrumors 68040

synth3tik

There seems to be a lot of odd things happening around Sheboygan.

Anyway. I think people who overly fed their animals should get changed with neglect. An animal that eats a little much is one thing, but when animals start becoming morbidly obese, and develop things like diabetes that's just wrong. Granted in this case it may have saved the dog, on the other hand if she did not over feed the dog it would have been able to walk in on it's own.

This is just sad.

13. macrumors 601

Schtumple

Why do people seem to have the mentality that this isn't the owners fault, but the dogs, it's not like the dog over feeds itself...

If you leave a dog out in the cold for 12 hours, you don't deserve to have pets, thats pretty damn harsh.

I can't ever see why you'd keep dogs outside, especially in cold weather, just seems so unloving, if you can't stand having the dog around don't bloody own one...

/rant.

14. macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

OMG i'd kill that lady!
    i would never do that to any pet. all animals are my friends!

Share the Love ppl!

*hugs everybody*

15. macrumors 601

As a kid, all of our dogs on the farm were always outside, unless it got sub-zero. However, we also had barns and sheds with hay for them to lay down in.

16. macrumors 601

First this...

Then this.... Are you loving or killing?

17. macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

18. macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

lol!! both i guess.. haha!

19. macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Hmm...my dogs always remain outside. Of course I don't live in Wisconsin, but even then I guess I'd say no to having a dog at all if it meant having it indoors. Sorry.

20. macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Someone I know told me a story about a dog they owned many years ago. It was -40 Fahrenheit one night and the outdoor dog (who had a doghouse) was forgotten. The dog never scratched at the door and instead froze to death standing up in the middle of the yard. They ended up leaving him there until the ground thawed next Spring. That's Alaska for you.

I make no claims as to the accuracy of this story. I am only relaying what was told to me.

21. macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I didn't say I won't provide them shelter, I just don't want the share it with them.

22. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I didn't realize so many people were so against having their pets come inside. I thought it was a normal thing to do. It is where I'm from. In fact, it's so normal that I was actually surprised when the first person in this thread said he doesn't let their dog inside their home.

What's wrong with them coming inside? I don't mind them being indoors or outdoors.

23. macrumors regular

BlackSnow

I couldn't stand keeping my puppy outside anytime of the year, but that's just me. This story is pretty bad.

24. macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

dittooo! but i can understand that they dont want their house to get all dirty? but i let my pets go in and out. actually just the dog, the cat stays inside and kills rats for us! :)

25. macrumors 603

quagmire

+2

My dog is always inside unless she wants out, but she always comes back to the door so she can come back in( unless it is summer. she loves to lay out in the sun).