Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phonemonkey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2004
Virginia
my dog decided that my 5 month old ibook would be a good place to urinate today, so of course when it happened it was on and sleeping and happened directly on the keyboard. when i got back to it, it was not sleeping, it was off, and would not turn back on. I pressed the battery button and one light flashed several times. I plugged in the ac adapter and it flashes red really fast. I removed the battery, keyboard, and adapter and turned it over to let it drain/dry out and went to work. I am at work now for the next 10 hours or so, so what I need to know is when i get home, what are the chances of it working and if it does not work how do i go about trying to get it back up

thanks folks,
phonemonkey

cleo

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
Heh. Heh heh heh. Hehe. Sorry, couldn't help it.

Turn it upsidedown and let any remaining liqiud drain out. Wait 24 hours before trying to switch it on again. Cross your fingers.

In the future, I'd recommend AppleCare... and obedience training. ;)

phonemonkey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2004
Virginia
cleo said:
In the future, I'd recommend AppleCare... and obedience training. ;)
it really wasn't his fault, some people I live with didn't let him out. hje got some training though
so I should be okay? I am still in my 1 year hardware period, would this be covered?

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
Sonce you still have your one-year coverage, you can call apple and tell them that the keyboard has stoped working and you would like to get it fixed (don't mention the dog urine though). Best of Luck.

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
i doubt it will be covered by apple, but if he had gone to obedience school maybe you could so the teacher...

even if it does turn on (doesn't seem likely) it'll smell, so be prepared to spray a lot on it... :(

reality

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
latergator116 said:
Sonce you still have your one-year coverage, you can call apple and tell them that the keyboard has stoped working and you would like to get it fixed (don't mention the dog urine though). Best of Luck.

And if you decide to do this route you might want to "rinse" the keyboard lightly upside down. And then send it in for repair. the smell of urine is a sure sign of "miss: use...

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
ho ho ho...thats seriously funny dude..
but i m sorry to hear that..but ther are chances that it wd work..i hv spilled beer a lot of times on the keyboard...but i never turn it on then..i first dry it out...n it works atleast till now..
so hope it works fr u man..
:D but i cant stop laughin

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
Chip NoVaMac said:
And if you decide to do this route you might want to "rinse" the keyboard lightly upside down. And then send it in for repair. the smell of urine is a sure sign of "miss: use...

Yeah, you could also spary it with some disinfectent or something like that to get the smell out.

kanker

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2003
Indy
Sounds like the dog is trying to tell you to spend less time playing with your Apple and more time playing with him/her.

Hope it comes back to life.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
when i read the topic of this thread, this situation is actually what i imagines immediately. though i was shocked when it turned out i was right! anyway, there is a decent chance the machine will live once more, just give it ample time to dry, and be prepared for it to smell for a long time (especially once it heats up).

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
you need to remove the keyboard and let it dry for a few days. if it's still dead then pack it up and go into the Apple Store. tell them it just suddenly died. do NOT mention the dog pee. if you let it dry there is no way for them to tell. they'll probably replace it, or at least fix it for free. with all the trouble they've had with iBooks dropping dead lately they don't even bother trying to prove you wrong or anything. remember, DON'T MENTION THE PEE! Apple Care does not cover pee.

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
latergator116 said:
Yeah, you could also spary it with some disinfectent or something like that to get the smell out.
Don't spray it with disinfectant! The last thing you need is to put more chemicals in there that don't belong, along with the urine.

If the original mishap didn't actually fry the circuitry, you MIGHT be able to remove the battery and very carefully, clean the iBook's innards out with plain water (depending on where you are, tap water may not qualify). Let it dry thoroughly and then try it out. I'm basing this advice on a post I saw at PalmInfocenter about someone who was able to revive their mud-clogged Palm by taking it apart and cleaning it carefully with a toothbrush.

If that doesn't work, or you'd rather not risk it, I think you're stuck.

baby duck monge said:
when i read the topic of this thread, this situation is actually what i imagines immediately.
Yeah, me too: I read the topic and immediately thought "I hope they don't mean 'hosed' like I think they do....." :eek:

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Honestly I think it is interesting that you all tell him to take it to Apple and have them try and fix it.

The warranty clearly doesn't cover hosing by dogs. I mean I feel for you, but it is not Apple responsibility to fix it.

I would recemend a new iBook, or look into paying to have it repaired.

phonemonkey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2004
Virginia
I got home this morning and it is still dead as a doornail. the only sign of life is when I plug my ac adapter in it has a quick red flicker where it is usually orange or green. I live nowhere near an apple store, whereas I am in a rural place. If it doesn't come up in a few days I will open it and try to repair it...hopefully it just shorted out the power and not the board.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
phonemonkey said:
I got home this morning and it is still dead as a doornail. the only sign of life is when I plug my ac adapter in it has a quick red flicker where it is usually orange or green. I live nowhere near an apple store, whereas I am in a rural place. If it doesn't come up in a few days I will open it and try to repair it...hopefully it just shorted out the power and not the board.

Best of luck getting your PissBook to work again. Might I suggest a PeeC for the dog?

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
phonemonkey said:
it really wasn't his fault, some people I live with didn't let him out. hje got some training though
so I should be okay? I am still in my 1 year hardware period, would this be covered?

I doubt that Apple will cover a dog pissing on your iBook. You would get a good laugh from the Apple Care Technicians though. I know this isn't funny, but I laughed my @$$ off when I read this!

phonemonkey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2004
Virginia
i bet its even funnier when you can imagine me giving him 1500 a few months ago and letting him piss on that instead

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
phonemonkey said:
i bet its even funnier when you can imagine me giving him 1500 a few months ago and letting him piss on that instead

that is a pretty funny thing to imagine, yes. especially if you spent that pee-money in shops with unassuming cashiers.

anyway, sorry to hear your 'book is not working. hopefully a few days rest will do it good! if not, best of luck with the cleaning!

phonemonkey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2004
Virginia
abhishekit said:
:D :D

n yeah..n what happnd to the ibook finally...?

not sure yet...when I left the house about 8 hours ago for work it did not do anything except that power adapter flashing red. On ER that means a heartbeat but I think this means a dead ibook. And a dead dog. I am giving it a few days before I operate and if it does not come up me, me 30-30, and my dog are going behind the woodshed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.