Dog Translating Invention!

Discussion in 'Community' started by dynamicd, Mar 24, 2003.

1. dynamicd macrumors 6502

2. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

At first I thought cool!, then realized that I've never been at a loss as to what my dog's emotions are. Dog's are the most emotionally forthcoming of any species if you ask me. Seriously, it's pretty obvious what a dog is feeling just by looking at it.

3. dynamicd thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, but I'm way too curious not too see what this machine is capable of.

4. runningman macrumors regular

Then we will finally get an answer to why a dog licks his testicles:D

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

But do you really want to know what they're thinking when they sniff other dogs butts?

I'll be interested in seeing one in action, as a dog owner it would be cute for a bit. But eventually it would get annoying. And I have to wonder what the dog would think?

D

6. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i really don't believe that thing is anything special. If anything it just tells you basic emotions of the dog.

btw i'm not 100% sure on this but can dogs even reason? when a dog barks and chases a car is it even thinking/feeling anything? or is it just instictively chasing after the fast and loud thing that might be a danger to itself and owner?

also i can just imagine my dog standing by the food bowl and barking and this gadget saying "i'm hungry!" "i'm hungry!" "i'm hungry!" "i'm hungry!" "i'm hungry!"

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

have you ever owned a dog? How about a smart one? My dog is quite intelligent and I have no doubt she thinks, but its hard to do this well, anthropomorphizing always gets in the way. But she remembers where things are, understands many commands (30+), gets upset when one of us (my wife and I) yell at something. We call her an emotional barometer. Its really amazing actually.

D :D

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I would definitely like to see the device in action. Don't think I would pay $120 for it though.

I'm like dukestreet, our dogs are very expressive. As an owner you learn to read your dogs emotions and what they are thinking!

9. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

hmmm my dog is pretty smart too. shes a black lab and i've never seen a dog so good at stealing things. We tried to train her not to steal item off the counter/table for about a year. And she got better (a comibnation of us moving things and watching her). So now she just steals food fro mthe counter when were not looking which means she knows whos watching her. Also onces it starts to warm up she likes to dig thru garbage both in an out of the house. Yesterday she was taking grabage out of the an and briging it to the basement. Then running back upstiars to get garbage. She did this for about ten minutes then stayed downstairs and played with the garbage. I guess she was sick of getting yelled at for eating direcly for the garbage.

10. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Do you have to ask?

If this works well, I will want one for my cats.

Dan

11. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i've had 4 dogs throughout my life of all varying intelligence. of my current two one is very intelligent and one not so. the smart one knows a bunch of commands and definitely senses feelings. we've taught him to bark once for food and twice if he has to go out to the bathroom. the otherone...is either not intelligent or doesn't really care to listen...it doesn't know many commands. I don't know a lot about dog psychology but i've heard people say that dogs can't reason. and that they just act out of instict or conditioning. I suppose i could go both ways. I could swear my smart dog could talk if he had the right physical capabilities to. but my other dog seems very much like an animal that doesn't know that his tail is in fact attached to his body.

12. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I have a German Shepard. Too smart for his own good.

Once I had a bone and a pig ear. One in each hand. Without ever training him to do this, I asked him which was the bone, and he nosed the bone. I asked him which was the pig ear, and he nosed it. He knows "go to" commands for several people, and can differentiate. He knows not to rub or touch me until I take my work clothes off.

He's smart.

13. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I would like to see this thing in action, too. It would probably be funny to see what a dog is thinking at first. :D

I think that dogs do reason. I think that my dog is very intelligent. She knows several commands, and she sometimes even cries whenever one of my family members leaves the house! :)

14. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

It's pretty obvious what your cats think: "If he was small enough, I could eat him"

15. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

It is amazing how well dogs can protect their owner, and definately can sense tension between people. I have never seen a cat that would not run away at the slightest hint of agression in the air.

16. alset macrumors 65816

alset

I think it's also worth noting that dogs and cats (when they are reasonably bright) realize when you are sick or down in the dumps. Then they show true emotion by displaying affection in an attempt to cheer you up.

Clever animals. Cats especially.

Dan