Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

_bnkr612

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2004
wdlove said:
You should take your girlfriend to an animal shelter, maybe she would fall in love at first sight. Does she or you have a particular breed in mind?

I thought picking out a dog was going to be tough. I was at Camp BowWow in the Detroit area and they were fostering a black lab mix. I fostered her for a weekend and she just did not leave my side. She is a year and three months and soooo chill. I cannot say how lucky I am to have her!!

Camp BowWow is a Camp for dogs, they give your dog more than just a kennel while you're away.

camp bowwow

Anyway...

Happy Holidays to all of you and your pups!

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
Reba . . .

Used to be mine, but now belongs to my parents. (I live in an apartment, they have a farm) She's a 12 year old Golden Retriever.

Attachments

• reba.jpg
    reba.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 162

debroglie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
wdlove said:
You should take your girlfriend to an animal shelter, maybe she would fall in love at first sight. Does she or you have a particular breed in mind?

I've always wanted a lab but she doesn't want a "big" dog. That being said, I don't want a little ankle-biter either, so we would need something inbetween. One of her reasons for not wanting a dog is that she doesn't like hair all over the place, so the less shedding the better. Also, she doesn't appreciate the leg-humping so that probably regulates it to being a female. She does love the idea of having a puppy from the beginning if we get one though, so that probably means that the animal shelter wouldn't be a great idea for her.

Have any suggestions for a breed?

_bnkr612

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2004
breed...

Lab mixes usually turn out alright...

Go to petfinder.com and check what type of mixes they have.

Mine is a black lab, greyhound mix. Has the build of a greyhound and the face of a lab. Thankfully, I run alot and I have a big yard to keep her active.

Cheers.

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
EGT said:
This is our dog Sam...

Is that Cavalier King Charles Spaniel? I have one myself. I think he's just about 10 years old now. He's named Chipper. A few years after we got ours, at least three other people we know got them. I think we started a fad... Anyway, they are great dogs.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
This is Chewey (short for Chewbaca) a flat-coated lab/chow mix. He will be three years old next month. He is the best dog on earth IMO (though I may be biased - though most at the Dog Park and Doggy Daycare seem to feel the same - proud papa here).

Attachments

• cheweyandsanta.jpg
    cheweyandsanta.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 149

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
debroglie said:
I've always wanted a lab but she doesn't want a "big" dog. That being said, I don't want a little ankle-biter either, so we would need something inbetween. One of her reasons for not wanting a dog is that she doesn't like hair all over the place, so the less shedding the better. Also, she doesn't appreciate the leg-humping so that probably regulates it to being a female. She does love the idea of having a puppy from the beginning if we get one though, so that probably means that the animal shelter wouldn't be a great idea for her.

Have any suggestions for a breed?

I think that a good place to start would be the American Kennel Club site. Please don't go to a pet store. The best place to get a puppy is from a breeder. They care about there breed and so will get a happier and healther puppy.

Miniature Schnauzer
Scottish Terrier

http://www.akc.org/

Apple //e

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2003
my weim...

doing what he does best....

Attachments

• IMG_2354.jpg
    IMG_2354.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_3598.jpg
    IMG_3598.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 146
  • prof1.jpg
    prof1.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 147

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
Macaddicttt said:
Is that Cavalier King Charles Spaniel? I have one myself. I think he's just about 10 years old now. He's named Chipper. A few years after we got ours, at least three other people we know got them. I think we started a fad... Anyway, they are great dogs.

It is indeed! They are fantastic dogs! He stays with my friend (who also has King Charles spaniels, six of them) when I’m away ... they all have their own personalities ... its very strange. Sam is very loving, very smart as well.
He slept in the utility room for the first 3 months we had him but he'd bark and cry all night long so we had to let him sleep on our bed, as you can see! (the little scamp)

Attachments

• sam2.jpg
    sam2.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 118

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
debroglie said:
I want a dog..... working on convincing the girlfriend though :rolleyes:
I don't need to do any convincing... just get out of education, and s**tty animal-unwelcome housing.

Give it a couple of years. She won't let me have an English Bull, so I think it'll be a Doberman. We're getting a cat, too, so I'll post pictures in 24 or so months :rolleyes:

All these photos make me so jealous!

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
brap said:
I don't need to do any convincing... just get out of education, and s**tty animal-unwelcome housing.

Give it a couple of years. She won't let me have an English Bull, so I think it'll be a Doberman. We're getting a cat, too, so I'll post pictures in 24 or so months :rolleyes:

All these photos make me so jealous!

You mean that they won't even allow cat in student housing? That is so sad, usually cats are welcome were dogs aren't. :(

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
daveway00 said:
This is my dog Louie or "Pup" as we call him. He's a 4 year old maltese.

ihnp-120929thumb.jpg

Pup is a beautiful looking dog. Very well groomed look. ;)

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
wdlove said:
Pup is a beautiful looking dog. Very well groomed look. ;)

His hair is a NIGHTMARE when its long. The standard is that this breed has hair to the ground but it mats up to much so we keep it about 3 inches long.
Maltese are really great, they're great lap dogs and companions, they know everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.