D'oh! Dropped iPod... is it dead

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by iBook, Jun 1, 2004.

1. iBook macrumors regular

May 3, 2004
    On a tugboat
    OK... Complete update here.

After several hours of unsuccessfully trying to resurrect the iPod, I decided to vent my frustration on the iPod.

Suffice it to say, the iPod is now dead. :rolleyes:

The battery was good and likely still is. Anything I can do to "preserve" the battery for my next iPod in case it develops a problem?

Or does the battery have any financial value to anyone here? How about the iPod case?

The drive obviously is dead, but let me know if anyone is interested in buying other components.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    Sounds like the hard drive may well be dead :( The current song would keep playing as that is loaded into buffer RAM from the disk. You could try connecting it to a Mac and fscking the disk.
  3. wide macrumors 6502a

May 17, 2004
    I don't think that will work. Go on the Apple Support website and see if you are eligible for customer support (there should be a page on which you have to enter your iPod's serial number that is located on the back of the pod). If you are, look for the mail-in form and send it in. I think it is $34.95 for shipping. The advantage of mailing it in rather than going to an Apple Store is that you won't be asked why or how it broke.
  4. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    As long as there are no dents, scratches, cracks, or other evidence on the outside. They may not need to ask how it broke.
  5. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    oh jeez thats some bad luck :(
    I've dropped my iPod on snow, dirt and concrete, and it hasnt broken yet.

After you get it fixed, you should invest in a good case.
  6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    These might be dumb suggestions, but have you tried plugging it into the recharger to see what happens (don't know what your battery status was when you dropped it), and also did you try to plug it into your Mac to see if it would sync?

That is too bad *sending vibes of consolation* though.... I'd definitely second Ubergeek on some kind of iSkin or something though.

To make you feel better, my story: when I got my Palm about 5 years ago, about a week after getting it, was playing with it at work, flipping the case open and shut (the old IIIe with the Star Trek style case), and it flipped out of my hands and onto the floor, cracking the screen. I still haven't let myself get another handheld because of that. :(
  7. iBook thread starter macrumors regular

May 3, 2004
    On a tugboat
    I think it's dead

Have tried restoring the iPod and updating the software, per Apple instructions with the software updater. No go. Still get the exclamtion point folder icon.

Went to Apple to get a repair. The estimated cost: $280.

A new iPod is not much more.

Lesson: Don't drop the next one.
  8. PaulDeVay macrumors newbie

Jun 1, 2004
    this happened to me (i have an old non-dock ipod though)
    i didn't drop it, but it randomly started freezing up and finally gave me the folder with exclamation point and I reset it and verified/repaired disk permissions in the disk utility
    i dont remember what else i did but eventually it worked again so i say keep trying
    i've dropped mine more times than i can count on the concrete floor in a life drawing class from 4-5 feet up