Doh why's apple ram so expensive?!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by dornoforpyros, Nov 2, 2004.

1. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Doh I must say I'm a little upset that the price difference between an iBook with 768mb of RAM and the next level (1.25 GB) is a difference of $520 bucks(canadian) grrr :mad:

I realize this is because of the fact the iBook only has one slot for ram so you obviosly have to go with a single 1gb stick but it's still frustrating.

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

when I go to a car dealership, accesories and service cost much more than from an independent shop. why? because it can be. its a very high profit margin item for them that a lot of people will simply buy because they don't know that its available elsewhere, or don't want to shop in more than one place, or don't want to go shopping around. Apple would frankly be pretty dumb to lower their prices on ram, they make a lot of money on it.

The other thing is that apple ram is, I assume, non generic ram and has been fully tested. This makes the chances of a bad ram module lower. Generic ram is often not thoroughly tested, meaning sometimes you'll get a bad ram module you have to return.

3. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

I was suprised to see that the "apple ram" I pulled out of my powerbook when I upgraded it was made by crucial. Apple doesn't make their own ram. If you are going to get ram made by crucial anyway, why not buy it directly from them and save some significant $$$