doing a clean install and only want to update to 10.4.7

Discussion in 'macOS' started by idiwa, Nov 8, 2006.

1. idiwa macrumors member

I'm just wondering what's the best way to go about this.

I'm about to do a clean install. I'm running a Mac book OS X 10.4.8 The only hassles I've had since the update from 10.4.7 is Illustrator CS2 falling down as soon as you look at it (especially anything to do with pathfinder functions or 3D effects). I've read that some others have had this issue to and there have been a few things said on the adobe forums. (I've had no issues with airport).

As it stands I'm having to run CS2 Illustrator on my PC (which I was intending to get rid off as soon as I was up and running with the mac book) Working this way (moving stuff from mac to pc and back) is a royal pain.

So the question is this. When i do a clean install, will any of the OS updates blatantly say of them "this will take you to 10.4.7....this will take you to 10.4.8" or will it just update me to 10.4.8 as default?

Is it your gut feeling that if I update again to 10.4.8 I wont have any more issues with illustrator or should I avoid the 10.4.8 update like the plague.

Just to point out, after 10.4.8 I did update (and have checked every few days) for updates to CS2 illustrator and even thou there have been some its still made no difference to issues with pathfinder.

And as a trivial note, my Art college (I'm in my final year of a degree) updated the 20" intel imacs to 10.4.8 and they to had the same issues with pathfinder. Checking the other day the OS is back to 10.4.7 I take it they must have done an archive install to wind the update back to OS 10.4.7.

2. kered22 macrumors 6502

kered22

By default, if you just run software update, it'll give you the latest updates and not let you choose any older ones. What you can just do is do the clean install, then just update to 10.4.7 manually by downloading it from here:
    http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosxupdate1047intel.html

Just try running CS2 and see how it runs on there. If the problem don't reoccur, then you know. Sadly, it looks like we're going to have to wait for CS3 before any issues are fixed. That or this could be a Rosetta issue (a lot of work was done to Rosetta in 10.4.8).

3. idiwa thread starter macrumors member

Cheers Kered. Just out of interest have you had issues with Illustrator?

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

5. idiwa thread starter macrumors member

6. kered22 macrumors 6502

kered22

Sorry I don't use Illustrator myself, I do have an older version, but not any of the CS versions.

Hey thanks for catching that yellow, completely forgot about that. :)