Doing the right thing....

Discussion in 'Community' started by Backtothemac, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, I am sure that we have all heard the story of Eric Smith. The guy who was ripped by Melvin Christmas with regards to the $3000.00 bad check that he sent him for his PowerBook.

Well, the kid has his back against the wall. He has to find the money for Tuition, and for a new iBook. Well, actually, just the tuition. General Cybernetics, the company I work for, ordered Eric a new iBook 12.1 Combo today. Mac users everywhere united to help the young man, and we did our part to make the ending a happy one.

So, again, the moral of the story, don't mess with Mac users ;)

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

3. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Wow. That's a really wonderful gesture. I know that one of the news stories had reported that Apple offered him an employee discount on a new powerbook. It's amazing how people band together for each other once they know the full story.

4. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, I just really felt for the guy. Plus the way that some people responded to him in a negative way was just unreal. That was really the point that pushed me over the edge and into giving him the new iBook. He seems like a wonderful young man, and was just flabbergasted when I told him what we were doing.

To me, he is a Mac hero :)

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

nice gesture for the holidays indeed.

but didn't he lose a tibook? haha. nah, great job.

6. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Yea, he did. He was actually selling the Ti, so that he could get an iBook. So, he is still out of some cash, but not as much as he was out of.

Thanks for the compliments guys, but this kid is really the one that we should say thank you too.

7. 3777 macrumors 6502

Ok I haven't said a thing about this whole story that seems to have taken off on these MAC boards....... but I just have to ask......:D ........... everyone seems to be eating up this whole story, but this guy claiming to be a fraud victim is the only source of this information from what I can see? And the link to the website telling the complete tale......... is this supposed victim's PERSONAL SITE!!!:confused: ...........Now if this guy was the victim of fraud and they caught the guy.......well great....... but I've read this thing more then once and the whole thing seems kind of hokey to me. How do you people know that your not the victims of fraud by blindly eating up this whole story.......?

8. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Because I have spoken with the person from the Chicago Tribune that intervied Office Knapp that made the arrest on the criminal that did this. Also it has been run in CNN, The Register, Yahoo, FoxNews, CNET Radio, and countless other places. So, that is how I know that he is legit.

9. 3777 macrumors 6502

Well if I had seen the story on CNN that would be different..... though you can't always trust the media either:eek:

10. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, I agree you can't always trust the media, but I trust the office that made the arrest.

11. 3777 macrumors 6502

There have been corrupt police officials in the past:eek: It could be a whole scheme to get free computers for friends of Chicago police officers:D

12. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

:p :p :p Well, if he went to that much trouble, then he still deserves the free iBook don't you think.

13. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Again I saw I am sorry for doubting his (and all of yours) abilities to make this all work out... i hope i wasn't the ******* he mentioned, but i know i was a naysayer, and i can admit when i'm wrong. Damn, tho, this is one hell of a feat... very few people are capable of taking the law into their own hands, i guess i underestimated this guy :)

Glad to hear he has a new iBook, and that things are picking up. If i hadn't just lost my job, i'd be the first one to donate to a Tuition Rescue Fund :)

pnw

14. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

It's funny you should say that. I went out on a date this last weekend. I shaved, showered, sprayed some cologne, drove all the way to her place, bought her dinner, paid for her movie ticket, and even listened to her dribble, and at the end of the night, I said something so similar to what you said it's scary.

Talk about cosmic forces...

15. BenderBot1138 macrumors 6502

Re: Doing the right thing....

Imagine the PR scandal if a headline like this broke:

News Flash.... General Cybernetics caught with green eggs and ham on face when Melvin Christmas found not guilty of any wrongdoing... it appears the only suckers in this one were General Cybernetics who couldn't wait for the verdict from an actual judge in a real court of law and bought a nice little iBook for a person who wrongly accused Mr. Christmas of theft.

:cool:

16. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Re: Re: Doing the right thing....

No PR scandal. See, I believe in common sense Bender. The man gave a cop a fake cashiers check that matched Erics. In addition there were others found in the residence, and they have found other victims.

If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, odds are it is a duck. I don't understand why you have such a problem with people doing the right thing.

17. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

Re: Re: Re: Doing the right thing....

i think he was making a joke. ;)

after all, not sure how much PR general cybernetics gets in general.... except here.

18. BenderBot1138 macrumors 6502

Re: Re: Re: Re: Doing the right thing....

Well... I am trying to do my part... ;)

19. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Doing the right thing....

how? by yak yak yakking all over the place? ;)

20. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

OK, I've not given one of these out for ages, so most people won't know what's going on here, only those who've been around long enough...

mcrain, that comment earns you the third ever Beej's "That's damn funny award"

Very funny stuff! :D :D :D :D :D :D

21. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Beej,
    Go read the we are going to nuke you thread.

I am sure you could come up with a fourth in that one.

22. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I'd like to thank my mom and dad for the guidance they gave me, my sisters for their constant badgering, and of course, I have to give thanks to my date who despite a nice surf and turf dinner at red lobster just wouldn't listen to reason.

23. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Obviously you didn't spring for extra GHB on her dinner... cheap bastard.

hehehe

:)
    pnw

24. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Your RAM was obviously underpowered, next time you should work on that and maybe you'll get better results.....;)

25. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

A lady at work found out that I was no longer hitched, and immediately suggested I go out with her b/c her neice was going to be there. We get there, and a guy she has dated shows up and hangs on her all night. Every time he turns around, the lady from work would get between him and the neice, the neice would scoot over to talk to me, and try to ignore the other guy. At the end of the night, he was getting ready to drive off, and the quote of the night, from her aunt... "At least wait until he's gone!"

I'm going to hell! :cool: