Dolly the cloned sheep euthanized

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by medea, Feb 14, 2003.

1. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Dolly the sheep, the world's first mammal cloned from an adult, has died after being diagnosed with progressive lung disease, the Roslin Institute said Friday.
    The decision to end the life of 6-year-old Dolly was made after a veterinary examination confirmed the lung disease, a statement from the institute said.
    Dolly was born in 1996, and she created an international sensation when the Scottish research institute announced its achievement on Feb. 23, 1997.
    In 1999, scientists noticed that the cells in Dolly's body - cloned from a 6-year-old sheep - had started to show signs of wear more typical of an older animal.
    Some geneticists said the finding provided evidence that researchers could not manufacture copies of animals without the original genetic blueprint eventually wearing out.
    Many attempts to clone animals have ended in failure. Deformed fetuses have died in the womb with oversized organs, while others were born dead. Still others died days after being born, some twice as large as they should have been.
    Dr. Harry Griffin of the Roslin Institute, near Edinburgh, said Friday that sheep can live to 11 or 12 years and lung infections are common in older sheep, particularly those housed inside.

``A full post-mortem is being conducted and we will report any significant findings,'' Griffin said.
    Last year Dolly's creators announced she had developed arthritis at the relatively early age of 5 1/2 years, stirring debate over whether cloning procedures might be flawed.
    Prof. Ian Wilmut, the leader of the team that created Dolly, said in January 2002 that apart from the arthritis, Dolly remained a healthy animal who has given birth to six lambs.
    He also said Dolly was responding well to a treatment with anti-inflammatory drugs and that her condition will be closely monitored.
    http://channels.netscape.com/ns/new.../ff/story/0001/20030214/123524933.htm&sc=1501

I'm interested to see what happens to the six babies Dolly gave birth to, and though this may show that the current cloning process is flawed, the researchers should be able to find out what needs to be improved and go from there, having lived six years is a tremendous feat and an accomplishment of science, though this should serve as a warning that we are not in any way ready to clone humans. whatever happened to clonaid anyways......:rolleyes:

2. macdiehard macrumors newbie

Dodgy business

I have to say all the genetic manipulation is dodgy business.

When the Space Shuttle goes wrong, 7 brave souls die, when genetic manipulation goes wrong, the whole future of life gets screwed up.

Once corporations get involved, only money counts. GMO food is disaster. They can't even sell the crap in Europe.

and while am at does anyone else here think that Daniel Perle is Nazi?

3. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Of course the first thing coming to my mind is,,, what about those babys borned in december en England or something like that, from that religious group?

BTW: Nothing like the real thing.

4. macfan macrumors member

What a backwards view that is. Welcome to the dark ages, everyone!

mymemory,
    I rather suspect that the little cult didn't actually have cloning at all. I bet that you would find the DNA of thier leader in those babies!

5. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

oh well, i guess that no one was really expecting Dolly to live that long anyway... but if they can ever get cloning to work with a decent success rate, then a job well done to them.

6. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Yeah, fine. I'm all into stem cell research, and cloning of your own tissue. That may be the future of medicine - right there.

I do, STRONGLY, object to the cloning of embryos - that is both unethical and immoral. And dabbling in science in that way can only lead to genetic abnormalities, or mutations - not perhaps now, or not in the next few generations, but maybe even a century down the line...

Can you honestly say without a shadow of a doubt that the same thing that happened to Dolly could in fact happen to a human?

I don't think we should play God in order to fulfill our own morbid fascination with creating life.

It's taken life billions of years to get the balance right. Let's not find a reason to accelerate our demise any more than we should.

:(

7. alset macrumors 65816

alset

I cheer on scientists who have the character to come under the scrutiny of others for research that they consider important to humanity. I don't agree with all of the potential uses for this tech, but I am happy to see that we, as a people, are capable of repeatedly surpassing our own self-set limitations.

On another note, I can't believe it's already been six years. Remember where you were when you found out? Peter Jennings on ABC @ the dinner table.

One more thought: The cult is a farce. I see no reason to entertain the notion that these wacked out nuts have anywhere near the ability to complete one of the most complex and difficult medical operations known to man.

Dan

8. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

wow, really. dolly showed the scientific community something - cloning is dangerous.

we should all remember this. life is dangerous. playing god is even more so.

maybe one day dolly will eb a reality. cloed live stock helping farmers after droughts or other instances that affect them on a mass scale. basically animals for people is ok. people is not.

we are all unique, do you want another you around? no. think about it. someone who is you, not like you, not identical to you but actually you - freaky eh.

9. charboneau macrumors member

Is Dolly's "mom" still alive? What became of her?

10. macdiehard macrumors newbie

Clones are bad

Look even Steve Jobs knew clones were bad when he revoked Motorola's Mac OS license :) . PC clones are even worse. Actually I owned a Motorol Starmax, it was quite a solid machine.

Anyway back to fighting injustice. Notice how anyone that criticizes the Bush administration's war plan gets trashed by all the network news. whether your a domonstrator, President of France, Jimmy Carter, or a whole country like Germany, they heap vitrol on you.

The "you are with us or you are against us" crap is straight out of fascism.

Well I say you are either with humanity and the world family or you are living life in darkness.