Domain Name - or .com? - Does It Matter

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by HelixOmnimedia, Dec 4, 2006.

1. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

Jul 26, 2006
    Traveling The World

As the title suggests, I'm going to purchase a domain name as I don't want my name displayed with the site i launch using my .mac account.

I've found a site that offers what i want at a very cheap price. It gives me the options of or a

I'm in the uk - so the obvious choice is, however the e-mail address i use for "the site" is .com - so should i make it end in .com.

I know its probably a stupid question but, Does it matter which one i register to?
  2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2005
    If you are a business and want people to know you are in the UK then go with Email addresses should come with your domain so that should not be an issue. In fact, it is useful to separate out your personal from your business email. If it is all personal then it really doesn't matter.
  3. nightelf macrumors 6502

Mar 25, 2003
    I would suggest buying both. You can avoid future headaches and save money if you decide to buy the other domain in the future and is taken by someone else.

.COM domains are cheaper and usually are worth more than .CO.UK if you decide to sell the domain later.
  4. Markleshark macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2006
    Carlisle, Up Norf!
    Yeah, for the price domains are, you might as well get both. :) May I also suggest TosDomains thats where I get mine from, great site.
  5. davidjearly macrumors 68020

Sep 21, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    .com domains are not always cheaper than domains, although you are right about their resale value I would imagine.

I have a dotcom address for my personal site, and a site for my local MUG organisation.

6. HelixOmnimedia thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 26, 2006
    Traveling The World
    Thanks for all the replies.

I thought it was a stupid question to ask, but you've all given me something to think about.

I'm in the UK so I'll be getting the domain name from and because they're so cheap (approx £12) i think I'll just buy both.