domain name regtistration

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Lollypop, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

For some reason my macbook doesnt want to register its name on our companies domain. The DHCP server gives me a IP address and I can access the internet and all our mail servers, but when i ping my macbook it tells me that it cannot resolve macbook.company.com Unknown Host, I restarted, refreshed the lease with my dhcp server, changed the name but it still want take. Whats wrong?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You are hosting web or other files directly off your MacBook?
    What machine is handling your DNS? Internal server, or external?
    The DNS server has to have an entry that equates macbook.company.com with IP ######### of your machine.
    Need more info

DNS != DHCP

3. Lollypop thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

We have 2 internal DNS serves, I specify both of them in the systems preferences. I do have the personal web server started, but its the default webpage, to be honest, now that I think about it, not even sure why i started it.... :eek:

I usually have windows laptop that is registered on the AD domain, so I get a constant IP address from the dns and the name is also given. The macbook is not registered on the AD domain, but the respective servers will still associate my laptops name with the IP it gives me.

That the info your looking for?