Donate a Macintosh.

Discussion in 'Community' started by maya, Feb 2, 2005.

1. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Anyone here thought of rather selling, throwing, storing an old Macintosh to rather donate it to charity who do or do not give out a tax receipt.

How much do you think they would write the receipt for the same amount as you bought your Mac or something of its value of current going price?

Curious to know if anyone here has either done or considered donating they Mac to charity that they do not use. :)

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

They would almost certainly give you a tax receipt for the current value of the computer. Like cars, computers depreciate rapidly over time (probably even more quickly than cars). I know that when my parents donated one of our old cars to charity, their tax deduction was for the amount that the car was worth, not the amount that it cost.

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

All of my previous computers that I've owned have been donated, Apple and Mac. With each donation I got a receipt to use for my taxes. They have just left up to me to assign the value. A way to help others such asa church or school.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Normally, I use my computers until they're in ruins, so I have never even thought about selling an old computer until I joined this board 2-3 years ago.

My Powerbook will be donated.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Donation deductions are based on the fair market value. Generally, it's up to you to determine that value, although, for big ticket items, the organization you donate it to may specify a value on your receipt or acknowledgement letter.

I've given my Macs to a local school when I upgraded to a newer Mac. I clear it off, reinstall the O.S. that came with it, give them a list of the hardware/software. Once they assign it to a teacher, I set it up myself in the classroom and show the teacher how to use it. Many computers get donated to schools but never get used because nobody knows what's installed, what condition it's in, or how to set it up, and that's a shame.

6. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

???

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Are you wondering how some computers could be Apple but not Mac? I think wdlove is talking about Apple computers before 1984. See www.apple-history.com for lots of details.

[​IMG]

8. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Whoa...that brought back memories!

And my middle school was so... cheap, that they bought Franklin Computers (imitation Apple IIs)! Anyone remember those?

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm wondering about computers that are Mac but not Apple :eek:

Edit: Then, about 2 seconds after posting, I remember Power Computing etc.

10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I've got a Power Computing. Still going. No computer to donate because they last so freakin long.... :D

11. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I have made several donations of my old Mac computers when I have bought new ones...if I recall correctly, I have given away an LCIII, LC630, Beige G3/300 and a Blueberry iBook. The tax receipts come in handy when trying to reduce my taxable income and the equipment is *very* much appreciated by the recipients.....oh yeah!

12. maya thread starter macrumors 68040

maya

Though I know about the tax receipts given by charity organizations for donations, here is my second question in regards to it and I googled for it however not sure about it 100%.

Can some Canadians recommend a charity that will accept a Macintosh and give you a tax receipt for it. I know it sound a little odd that I am asking for a recommendation for a charitable organization, however some charities do not give receipts for donations and I believe that is a negative since the extra money I get will help me donate more down the road.

Is there a list preferable in Ontario that anyone can recommend, I never say the reason to sell something when it can be given with good intent and recognized by the government that people do give to charities.

So anyone have any recommendations/list of charities in Ontario, Canada. :)

Thank you well in advance for your suggestions. :)

13. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...well, I am on the other side of the country but to give you a couple general ideas of where to start - think about what kind of place you want to contribute to - any "social issue" or cause that you feel close to, for example a women's shelter/sexual assault centre, food bank, senior's centre etc etc..then call the one closest to you and ask if they are interested in your equipment. Many places are now a lot more careful about issuing tax receipts and getting proper value assessments done on things because the Revenue Agency audits things a bit more closely and if they are abusing the system they can lose their charitable status.....oh yeah!

14. maya thread starter macrumors 68040

maya

I will try out your suggestions and also call a GOODWILL and some other organizations I have in mind. If I had time I would not even mind teaching people how to use a Computer may it be x86 or PPC. :)

Will post an update tomorrow. Thanks once again for everyones help and views on this issue. :)