Doncha wish everything had a trial/demo version?

Discussion in 'Games' started by neoelectronaut, Dec 26, 2004.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2003
    Southeastern Louisiana
    I got a $50 gift card to CompUSA for Christmas, so I figure I'll finally go get my copy of Simcity 4 that I've been eyeing forever.

But I got to thinking: What if it doesn't work so well?

After all, I purchased Simcity 3000 the month it was released and it played horribly on my old computer, so I hardly ever played it.

If I end up getting Simcity 4 and it doesn't work well, I simply won't play it, leaving myself with a $50 coaster.

Dammit I wish the game had a trial I could download to see how well it would run on my eMac before I blew $50 on it.
  2. greenleaf macrumors member

Dec 25, 2004
    ive played it recently on my imac g4 800 with 512 ram and it runs decently maybe not as great as it could but in no way bad :rolleyes:
  3. jamdr macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    I have the same computer as the topic creator, but with 128MB less RAM. SimCity 4 runs pretty good. I mean, it's definitely not fast, but it's very playable. I think the biggest issue with the eMac is the graphics card. I bet if you could upgrade the graphics card, the processor would be able to handle the game just fine. But I guess that's a moot point since you can't.
  4. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2003
    Southeastern Louisiana
    Too true, too true.

I recently downloaded Aspyr's "Game Guide" app that shows you which of their games would run on your computer. Out of the 1/3 of them that it said wouldn't run, it was only the video card's fault. Everything else was well over spec. (With the exception of like, Doom 3, and one other game.)
  5. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Yes, I do wish everything had a demo. I remember when Halo came out, there was no demo. Combine that with rumours of bad performance, and you get thousands of people downloading the full version to see how well it runs. Of course, once you've downloaded it, there's no point in buying it.
  6. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    I wouldn't put too much weight on their Game Agent.

Their recommended specs aren't exactly going to get you a consistent 30 FPS even at the lowest settings.

Here's how to describe SimCity 4... It's just hardware intensive both on the Mac and PC. My iMac G4 800 MHz, GeForce4MX, and 768 MB of RAM comes to a crawl with SimCity 4 once the population reaches 10,000. SimCity 4 has way too many background calculations going on, it needs a supercomputer! The Rush Hour expansion supposedly helps performance slightly.

Once your screen starts filling up or you get to the milestone populations, things get slower and slower. It's smooth when you just start the game and staring at the grass. Start building, things slow down slightly. Then, once your screen fills up and your Sims are bustling, things start getting choppy. Zoom in or out or even scroll, and you will wait a moment for things to move. Sure, it's fun to play, but you can only overcome the performance only for so long.

An improved card will minimize the scrolling and zooming problems (I've compared a PC with a GeForce4MX and a GeForce 5600). But, your CPU will get bogged down with those milestone populations either way.

Save that gift card for something like hardware or other software. Or even some video games for consoles. Maybe there's some less-demanding game you want to look at. Such as Rise of Nations (that's the next game I'm looking into getting).

That isn't a very good attitude at all. :rolleyes: It's one thing saying "I pirated a game to 'test' it" and another thing to say "I pirated a game because I can." But still, people pirating games does not help us get more Mac games, at the end of the day.

Not to mention, it doesn't help when MacSoft has to report back to Microsoft and say that Halo was heavily pirated and that they lost potential sales. Microsoft probably thought twice before allowing Rise of Nations getting ported to the Mac. May explain for some of the delay (besides snagging the Gold version instead of the regular version) And it really doesn't help a company like MacSoft because I'm sure they've taken quite a hit financially. Aspyr is really the only company actively publishing and porting games. The rest of the companies such as MacSoft and MacPlay have one or two big hits a year. I'm amazed they've been able to stay afloat.