DONE AND DUSTED - NOT!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, May 3, 2004.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/international/AP-Iraq-Abuse-Reprimand.html?hp
    Looks like they're REALLY taking it seriously. This should win a LOAD of hearts and minds. :mad:

2. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

indeed, these guys should be serving prison sentences! If you want to show iraqi's that the new regime is any different then you gotta come down on these guys like a ton of bricks because that is what would happen if somebody was convicted of doing this in this country!​

3. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

I guess the Iraqis will just feel pissed on again when they hear about this....

4. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

more worrying than that they will see this as a reason why they are no better off than they were before and get reminded of saddams torture tactics. I know this isn't the same but letting these guys off doesn't exactly show the iraqi's that we are that serious about it and it doesn't do much to ensure that it won't happen again!

5. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

I think the US military has a problem understanding this "hearts and minds" concept. Totally effing clueless, actually.

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Don't overlook the fact that six are facing courtsmartial. They're the ones who actually did the Bad Stuff.

What has apparently dropped below the horizon is the early-on mention of somebody--apparently a "civilian" interrogator--who instigated the incident which was video-taped. If the procedures in the Iraqi prisons mirror those of Afghanistan, he must have been a CIA guy. The only comment of note that I recall is something along the lines that he was not held because of a "lack of jurisdiction". Huh?

Purely opinion and guessing: The CIA guy told those who've been reprimanded to stay away and find other things to do while he did his "interrogating". Similar to what I've read about goings-on in Vietnam. Again, speculation...

'Rat

7. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

'Rat, I think you're being sidetracked: this is not an isolated incident. It's been happening systemically, it's a failure of command, it's both our lot and yours. A reprimand is not enough. A culture change is needed, but if your leaders take you into an aggressive war based on falsehood, who is going to uphold the ethical standards? These guys clearly do not feel they are representing the good, or they would not behave like this.

8. IrishGold macrumors member

And what would you know? You live in England. You read what you see in the newspapers and websites. Our army has done plenty good in the past.

edit: just to make my point clear, you can't judge an entire army by the actions of a few.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Indeed, the report prepared earlier this year concluded that such abuses were widespread, and that the people committing them were following orders to "soften up" these prisoners for interrogation. At this point, I have three questions in my mind: (1) Where did the orders originate; (2) who read the report before it was leaked to the press; and (3) what was being done to correct the problem before it came to the attention of the public?

10. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Maybe I misread the story, but this sounds to me like no one is facing court martial:
    "... The military official said he believed investigations of the officers were complete and they would not face further action or court martial."
    I'm glad that the "reprimands" could spell the end of their careers, but I don't think that's enough in this situation.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic