donnie darko

Discussion in 'Community' started by fujimi442, Jan 14, 2003.

1. fujimi442 macrumors member

Has anyone else seen this movie??? what did you think? Also I was wondering if you guys could help me find some more movies, or books would be great too, that are kinda along these lines. Well what I mean is a book or movie that really forces you to think ,and twists around your idea of reality, vanilla sky did a good job of this too. thanks

2. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Really good movie. Have you watched it with the directors commentary on DVD?
    I'd also reccommend, though you've probably already seen them, Fight Club and Memento.

3. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

There are many:

• Monty Python's "Meaning of Life"

• Brazil

• 12 Monkeys

• Run Lola Run

• City of Lost Children

• Neo Tokyo (more just an excellent film)

• Dreams (Famous Japanese director I can't remember the name of...)

• Total Recall

• Matrix

• Blade Runner

4. Performfreak macrumors member

yeah, good movie. I've seen it a couple of times. I've read a few books about such subjects. I find books where the government is basicly totalitarian to be very interesting. 1984, Brave New World, The Giver, Farenheit 451 all spring to mind as excellent books I've read. I need to check out a few more though, as I know they're out there.

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i haven't seen donnie darko (yet). but a good movie that i've seen recently that i'd recommend is "the dangerous lives of altar boys"... pretty good depiction of a kid using trouble to keep him from being bored... good movie.

6. DaedalusDE macrumors regular

just saw the movie a few weeks ago... scary that now that ive seen it, it keeps popping up every place i look... it was an overall great movie... definitely one of the best ive seen yet... as for a really good movie that's similar to darko, "Knowing"... it kinda hasnt been made yet but its Richard Kelly's next film... the storyline ties into darko too... A man finds a time capsule under a school that was being renovated due to a mysterious water-mein brake (cough cough darko cough) and the capsule is filled with little kids predictions for the future, and they show all horific events and stuff and it turns out that most of them have come true... i think it'd be really cool if it could take place at the same time and place as Darko

7. Goblin2099 macrumors member

Donnie Darko was awesome...in addition to the stuff mentioned above, I'd suggest A Clockwork Orange and Johnny Suede. Another great movie that I've heard in conjunction with Donnie Darko a lot is The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eight Dimension, although it doesn't really fit into the same category as the mind-bending stuff.

8. DaedalusDE macrumors regular

DUH how can i be so stupid... Equilibrium... definitely equilibrium... not so much darko as it is 451, but yeah definitley equilibrium... which happens to be the winner of the "HOTTEST GUN RELOADING EVER" award

9. fujimi442 thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys, i will check these out, anyone with anymore book suggestions? I will have lots of time to read for the next month, all my friends are at school, and I have a 14 hour flight coming up soon. Even if it isnt about what I specified, if it is a really really cool book then let me know.

10. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Re: There are many:

It's Akira Kurosawa....

11. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

you want to see some really trippy movies? watch a David Lynch film like Lost Highway or Mulholland Drive. They're not really great movies but trippy as hell.

As for Donnie Darko, it is original, has diverse genre influences, and good acting. Some of it could had been better, but I think Richard Kelly came out with a debut movie that was as close to his vision as possible on a tight budget, which is something very hard to do in Hollywood and worthy of praise. People either like the film or hate it because it makes them think and doesn't have the closure of some films. ultimately you can come away from this film with a different meaning than someone else, like any other kind of art. but probably more so here because of the relatively open ending.

The only thing I have against it is the linking of the film to the "Philosophy of Time Travel" book. Movies shouldn't have to be supplemented by a book to gain a total insight into the movie.

I'd give the movie a 9/10 for originality and good exxecution. A good place to go for more information and opinions is the DD message board at IMDb. Only go there if you've seen the movie otherwise it will spoil a good deal of it.

Good to see other people have enjoyed this film too. It seems to be a favorite of a lot of people. Another interesting tidbit from the DD official website is that Jim Cunningham kills himself 10 days after the end of the film with a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

12. DaedalusDE macrumors regular

see i couldnt find the epilogue on the DD site... could u post a link or just the epilogue itself here?

13. fujimi442 thread starter macrumors member

has equilibriium already come out??? if not do you ... um ... have it???

14. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

you guys missed... requiem for a dream and magnolia... totally fantastic movies in the same vein as DD... also, american psycho is a great kinda screwed up movie... check em out...

15. mattevil macrumors member

equilibrium has already come out (and to my knowledge left) it was given a bad release in under 20 markets while the crappy movie "They" got the big release. Same thing happened with Below.

16. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

here's a guide to getting through the site

i was going to post the 'epilogue' information here, but there was too much

17. fujimi442 thread starter macrumors member

Well i just posted my theory about the whole movie over on that DD board. I hope it makes sense, It suddenly all clicked in my head, It all fits together this way. I understand it, but I think the problem will be other people understanding:)
    The title is "my really confusing theory".

18. DaedalusDE macrumors regular

Ya know i've been noticing that Apple users also happen to have the best taste in movies... i mean like DD,RFAD,American Psycho, Magnolia, these are like all of my fav. movies...

oh and btw fugimi... i do have equilibrium (so i can help u out if u IM me on AIM) ... and b4 anyone gives me ***** for having a bootlegged copy of the movie... i did watch it and did love it and DID send a check for $8.50 to Kurt Wimmer because i felt bad about pirating his movie... but i couldnt get to see it any other way... and i do plan on buying the movie when it comes out on DVD

19. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

No ****, you really mailed him a check? Did he cash it? Where did you send it to?
    That's cool if you did.

I once thought that it would be cool to create a database of artists and charities so that if you copied something for a friend, you could log on and give a buck to their cause. Make you feel better about copying and serve some good in the process...but once again just another fantasy of a better world.

20. DaedalusDE macrumors regular

i did mail a check that was cashed... i sent it to kurt wimmer c/o Dimension Films... i dunno if it was cashed by him or not... i havent heard back from him (or anyone) yet so i dunno if it actually got to him...

this is a long shot... but do any of yall know how to get in touch with either Warren Spector or Darren Aronofsky... i managed to get in touch with American McGee and Laura Ziskin but the two i really wanted to talk to keep seeming to allude me (if thats the right word)... im thinking about calling up DA's parents in Brooklyn and trying to get some info from them :) (i swear im not a stalker)

21. pantagruel macrumors regular

sorry but to me it seemed like donnie darko was some lame try at having a weird movie, its called an indie flick but its not even that indie, just because a movie is not hollywood doesnt make it indie, or good.

22. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Donnie Darko is a great movie. It's absolutely devastating the first time you watch it. I was visiting a friend of mine at University of Cincinatti over the summer, I went up and he asked me if I'd ever seen it. I hadn't. He insisted we sit down and watch it before hitting the bars.. he'd only seen parts of it. So we sat down and two hours later, after the movie had concluded we just looked at each other like "what the **** do we do now?" It has that effect on most people I've watched it with.. utterly astounding. You have to role it over in your mind a couple times to figure out the sequence of events and what didn't happen. It is amazing....

Let's not discuss the plot here, but it's worth nothing that watching the movie with commentary does explain some things also there are some great websites on the net that get into the theory of the movie.

As a story though I felt it was a very slow movie, the pulse takes forever to develop. Very little of the characters is explored even, its just raw events and to be honest after watching it 3 times I can no longer bare to... it just is too slow.

The soundtrack to the movie is really amazing, pick it up.

23. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Talented artits get backing because they are good... lots of indie is crap. Donnie Darko was the first screenplay and movie ever written by that artist... that sounds indie to me. Sure it got huge backing, but I think that was a credit to the quality.

So you didn't like Donnie Darko because it wasn't genuinely "weird"? You didn't like it because other people liked it? You only like films that are "indie"?:confused:

24. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

25. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

well, one of the main characters is a giant demonic-looking talking rabbit

but that aside i think everyone would consider this movie to be even a little stranger then your run-of-the-mill movie. maybe you just didn't understand it or give it a chance? it really is original.