Don't be fooled by these awesome updates the G5 iMac is coming...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by punkmac, Apr 24, 2004.

1. punkmac macrumors regular

It seems to me that these are really great updates that are hard to pass up.

I feel Apple has done a good job at getting a few more bucks out of the G4.

By releasing the budget eMac first and then looking at the iMac, hell I even wanted to buy.

Then Powerbooks with some nice boost and features.

I think next has to be the G5 iMac. There needs to be a real reason to want to go with an iMac...the G5!

Any thoughts?

I.

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

It's quite clear to me as well that the iMac is in desperate need of an update, the only one I would even consider at this point is the 20 inch, simply because of the screen size compared to the price of a 20 inch separately. They really don't have a place in the market anymore. If you want portable, you'll get a laptop, if you want cheap, you'll get an eMac, and if you want power, you'll get a PowerMac. I think that the only reason anyone would drop the clams for an iMac right now is the style, and MAYBE it's small footprint on a desk. I don't even know if including a G5 processor would solve it. I think that the iMac as we know it today might go the way of the Dodo. I see it dropping out of the game entirely, or maybe taking the form of a low-end headless Mac.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

ugh, let's not start with the headless-imac stuff, i don't think it's something they're going to do. the imac has a lot of life left in it, provided they can do something about the abysmal processor speeds. I mean, keep a G4 in there if you can get it above 2ghz, but obviously that's not going to happen, so they have got to get the G5 in there. Now of course then it comes down to the same problem that's keeping powerbooks down, heat. once they figure out this key issue, we'll be good again. but i think apple has to be seriously considering alternative cooling, the iMac would be perfect for passive liquid cooling, not sure about the powerbook-- liquid cooling could still be done, it'd just be tricky.

paul

4. cubist macrumors 68020

Liquid cooling doesn't eliminate heat, just moves it to another (hopefully more convenient) place.

Someday we may learn the inside story of the 970fx (AppleInsider reported "something has gone terribly wrong") but for right now, it looks like we may be seeing 1.5GHz G4 iMacs in a week or so, hopefully with a price drop.

The G5 iMac is coming, sure. Maybe around October.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yawn... [​IMG]

Since they can't even keep up with the demand for 5k XServe G5s a month, makes sense that the iMac and PowerMac would both be using the 970fx in the next week.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

sadly, I agree with cubist. We'll be seeing 1.5 Ghz imacs next week or sometime soon. And in that case, unless there are also substantial price cuts, the imac will continue to be caught between the emac and the powermac - at the same time both underpowered and overpriced. :( It's really too bad because I think the G4 imac is probably the best looking computer I've ever seen.

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'd love to see a G5 iMac - but I will be surprised to see it as the next version....it truly is sad. But if they update the PowerMacs to all duals before we see an iMac update, then I might have more hope we'll see a single processor G5 iMac.

D

8. macguymike macrumors 6502

iMac G4 updates

My guess would be something like:

15" iMac: 1.33 GHz G4
    17" and 20" iMac: 1.5GHz G4

Possibly 64MB graphics (ATI) in all models, maybe 128MB in the 20. Upgraded Superdrives, too, possibly standard across the line.

Not sure what else they might (or could) do.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I still think the Powerbooks will get the G5 before the iMacs. Maybe the iMac is finished, is it posable that the fad is over and that Apple needs to reinvent the iMac yet again or create a brand new computer line to replace the iMac entirely.

10. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I am waiting for a G5 iMac, it will be interesting to see what it looks like. I might pick up a G4 iMac just to have around for browsing and such, as QCassidy, it is a very good looking machine. Having missed out on a Cube, I don't want to miss out on a FS iMac.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

An iMac is way to expensive to have just to browse the net, if thats all your going to do with it buy an eMac and save your money.

12. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

20" should be 64 with 128VRAM option, 512RAM base ram, Superdrive, BT built in

I love to think that you could choose to have BT mouse and keyboard, instead of the current wired.

13. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I would be buying it for the style.

No way would I buy that pile of ugly know as the emac.

14. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

I think, though, that you would still need to have a wired KB for initial setup- or so I've heard.
    --
    If the eMacs got 8X, you can bet that iMacs will get upgraded Superdrives, too.

I just hope we get a case revision, too. A dream iMac would sport a couple pci-express slots, 3 usb2, 2 Firewire400, and a firewire 800 for expansion. Maybe Apple will ditch the 15, or make it a widescreen?

15. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Not sure about set up.

8X, of course.

Well I dont see them redesigning and puting a G4 in it. I agree, ditch the 15 seems wise for a prosumer machine.

16. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

This is such an over used argument, and I just get tired of hearing it. Sure the iMac isn't a G5 Dual Powermac but its not supposed to be! How can it be underpowered if it does what it is designed to do. Its not a high end machine, its a consumer machine, maybe in the mid range of the spectrum.

As for price, well lets see, the new eMac comes with a 17" CRT Display, and has the same proccesor, same hard drive, and a weaker graphics card. All for $900. The 17" iMac has an LCD display, and a better graphics card, for $1700, so whats the price difference in the LCD vs CRT. Well a decent 17" widescreen LCD will set you back about $700. 17" CRT, $120. So thats $580 of a price differencec allready. So lets subtract monitor costs from both.

eMac (less monitor): $780
    iMac (less monitor): $1000

The iMac comes with the pro speakers, which while not being top of the line are much better than the built in eMac ones. Add that to the eMac price.

eMac (+speakers): $840
    iMac (incl speakers): $100

Now we are down to a difference of $160. But wait! There's more! Not only does the iMac have a better graphics card its also a previous generation system, so when it gets updated to teh 1.5 Ghz G4 it will have a faster processor all at the same low price. Doesn't seem all that overpriced to me. Yes you pay more but you get more, you get a gorgeous LCD display, better graphics, and a faster processor. But you say, I don't want/need the LCD. Then buy the eMac. But don't claim that iMac is overpriced when its clearly not. Sure its no PowerMac, but its not supposed to be that either. So its not underpowered. Its perfect for what it does and the market its aimed at.

17. phantommaul macrumors member

never gonna happen

apple will draw the line for consumer and pro hardware with g4 and g5 processors, thats why they updated the iBooks to g4, because maybe after another rev. to the powerbooks they will introduce g5 powerbooks and the consumer line processor will remain g4 like it will remain g4 for the iMacs.

18. macguymike macrumors 6502

I think the 128MB Vid. RAM should be standard for the 20". The G5's should all have 128MB cards as well in the next update, imo. But, that's just me.

Definitely agree on the 512MB base RAM and the rest.

Including these as standard equipment poses two possible problems. One, a slight increase in cost and two, as x86isslow mentioned, you'd still need a wired keyboard to do the initial setup.

19. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

That's going to have to change in the next few years I think. Apple in the US at least need to offer the setup service by either building the BT keyboard with a usb cable option for such setups (everyone has a usb cable lying around) or physically do the setup options for the BT keyboard in the store/warehouse before shipping with whatever modifications are needed to make it work.

20. macguymike macrumors 6502

Why? Not everyone needs a wireless keyboard or mouse. In fact, some people prefer the wired variety. Bluetooth is still a fairly new technology anyway. Give it time.

21. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I am saying it should be a build to order option for a while. Its a waste of resources and money producing keyboards and mice that people will use once and then chuck in some corner. This will happen more and more I think, so Apple should provide for it. This is expecially true of one button wired mice, when a far few people will go two button or unwired or both (but thats another argument). If nothing else its ecco friendly to do so.

BT is pretty mature now. The standard has been around for a number of years, going into a good number of handheld computers, a few laptops and a huge number of mobile phones. Its appearing in new car models, printers etc. Apple have been pushing their own more secure and interference free version. Given that I think its a safe move for Apple to market it.