Don't Buy from mac mall

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by benalexe, Nov 27, 2006.

1. benalexe macrumors member

I am sorry in advance for this email and I hope this does not get me kicked off the board.

About a week and a half ago I purchased a Mac Book Pro from mac mall.

From the time I placed the order to the time I received it I decided that I wanted to go from the matte display and the better 15" model.

I got the package today and called mac mall to get an RMA. They told me that they can't take back any apple products for any reason. I was surprised and appaled. In addition I do not recall seeing this when I place my order.

I spoke to a supervisor and they said there is nothgin they can do.

I then went to the apple store and asked them to exchange but they could not either.

This is new never opened in box. Mac Mall Stinks.

Any advice? Besides just keep it?

2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Hmm, news to me, I have been pleased with them in the past, but in fairness have never had to return anything to them...:eek:

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

sell it. i'm surprised Apple wouldn't exchange it. the people at my Apple Stores (i'm in DC so there's a few) are usually pretty flexible and'll do anything to make sure i'm [the customer is] happy.

you could also sue them but that takes a lot of effort.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm surprised but when buying anything expensive, it's always best to check everything.

It's not a bad machine so I'd think you'd be quite satisfied with it.

5. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

out of curiosity, i checked out the macmall site after reading your post and found their return policy easily where it clearly states that there are no returns on any apple products. are you sure you didn't encounter any reference to this policy throughout the order process (during online checkout, in any order confirmation or shipping notification emails)? one would think they would make sure this policy came up somewhere during the ordering process...

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Sorry, your bad on this one.

Next time, make up your mind what you want first, and check the terms and conditions before making the order.

A retailer is under no obligation to accept a return on a non-defective product. That some do is a business decision to accept the loss in time and money for the goodwill it will generate.

However, a return policy is subject to abuse; witness on this very forum the people who have suggested buying from Costco or BestBuy, using a product for a project (like, using an external hard drive to do a migration or recover a machine) then take the product back for a refund once they are finished. I have even seen people suggest intentionally damaging an iPod and taking it back after just less than 1 year for an over the counter exchange, with the express intention of receiving a newer model.

So it isn't surprising that some retailers adhere to a no-return policy. Its up to the buyer to make the decision whether its worth it to do business under those terms in exchange for a lower price, (or for no state sales tax on mailorders compared to Apple who charges tax).

7. uburoibob macrumors regular

MacMall has always sucked. I had a similar bad experience with them more than 10 years ago. I haven't spent a cent with them since. And I've bought MANY Macs for my ad agency over the years.

Bob:mad:

8. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Huh. I haven't bought any computers from them, but I have purchased software from Mac Mall - I have no real complaints about the company. I don't like that they require you to track packages from their site rather than from the shipping company's; but that's just a nit.

9. mallocip macrumors newbie

Bait & switch tactics

Buyer beware...MacMall lures you into the FREE shipping via UPS Ground trap throught a rebate, then automatically upgrades your shipping method to 2nd Day Air. Once you realize what has happend you figure a quick e-mail to customer service will remedy this throught a downgrade.....NOT. No response, no help and you are stuck with the bill.

10. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

The minimum I would do for a normally purchased, unopened product, is a full in-store credit.

If it was a speciality order item, I would make it clear upfront, I was acting as an agent for the buyer and the deal would not be reversible, except between the manufacturer and buyer.

If a buyer made a mistake, or changed their minds about a purchase, I would try my best to cancel the transaction, but would not absorb the overhead cost of their mistake/change of mind. Distributors will often have a restocking fee. I find many of them too high. It should only be a 'break-even' charge, not a revenue generator.

If it was a retail transaction, for a popular item, and unopened, it should be a smile, "please come again" type of affair.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

For me MacMall is not a place in which I intend to do much business with. My incident was with them advertising something at once price and then figuring out they had the wrong price and holding my order for 2 weeks before they canceled it claiming that they could not fulfill the order based on lack of product. I asked them to hold the order until they had the product and that is when they admitted to the price mistake. I told them that they should honor it not only because it was their mistake but because they took my money already. They gave me the "not our problem" attitude. That was when I elected not to do business with them any longer. When someone gives me the "not my problem" attitude I can only hope for their continued success as I would not be a part of it.

12. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

You should have just refused the order when the UPS/FedEx guy came to the door or told him to run the package over with his truck.

Anyways, CanadaRAM is right, next time read the terms and conditions before you purchase.

13. Boxer macrumors regular

Man, that sucks, I won't be doing business with them because of the above issues. I love hearing about customers who have been screwed over, then not giving my business to the same company. Companies have to be held in check, and by doing this I feel that they should remember who's the boss. The customer!
    Just my .02

14. macrlz9, Nov 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2010

macrlz9 macrumors 6502

macrlz9

yeah i had a similar experience when i bought my iMac and was in the same boat as you.... they won't do ANYTHING for you... sorry :-(

15. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

after browsing the site, it seems their return policy is available but hidden behind a few clicks of the mouse. sorry you didn't get what you want, but it's really not their fault. that said, it seems you're not the only customer that has had problems with MacMall so maybe it's best to be extra cautious when ordering from them or to just stick to another retailer.

16. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

i've had a similar run in with macmall before too. i bought a brand new ibook from them and it came as an open box and had obviously been used for awhile. the palm rests were black and it still had the previous users info on it. so i called macmall and got some jerky guy that was like i'm sorry we don't accept returns under any circumstances. i'm like i bought a new machine and it's used i want my money back. he was like i'm sorry sir we can't do anything about it. basically saying the same thing they did to the OP. so i said i want to speak with a manager and the manager said the exact same thing. he's like we can't return ANYTHING apple sells i'm sorry. i was like it's used man, it's not like it's new and i just want to return it. he was like i'm sorry. So i calmy said......if you're not going to take care of it i will just call my credit card company and they will. he IMMEDIATELY overnighted me a brand new and i got it in the morning with a new label to ship back the old one. last time i deal with that place again.....who DOESN'T have a return policy? ridiculous...i hate that place haha.

17. ronni3 macrumors regular

If you paid with a credit card, contact your credit card company and let them know that you are unhappy with your new purchase and that Mac Mall is not allowing you to return an unopened item. Credit Card companies usually give you a certain amount of days to rescind an order, even if a company trys to deny your return. It will be up to them to fight for their money, but the credit card companies usually side with the card holder.

You could also say that the item is defective and that Mac Mall is denying the return regardless and still get the CC company to respond accordingly.

18. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Huh. Oddly enough, my mom has bought most of her Macs from MacMall over the past few years. She just got a MacBook from them, and it had no issues. The one time we had any problems was when she got her Powerbook 1400 way back in the day, and they sent her a replacement within a week once she called them.

I personally wouldn't buy from them since I prefer to deal with Apple directly, but that's just me. Just thought I should offer some positive experiences to the plethora of negatives!

19. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

That's fraud, I'm pretty sure. I wouldn't recommend he go that route.

20. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

MacMall was bad 15 years ago. Some things never change.

21. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

I almost want to ask; Why not deal with Apple online store? You get the whole package when dealing with Apple themselves and not some distributer like Mac Mall? I can understand getting something used or "like new" from ebay/amazon or the like. I'm not razing you or anything, just curious what the benefits were to deal with Mac Mall and not Apple themselves? :confused:

22. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

well you'd think apple would have some type of discounts for a basic consumer....so instead they don't. which causes people to want to buy from amazon or macmall bc of rebates that apple will never do which is ridiculous. if they can sell me a MBP for $1799 with corporate discount all day long why can't they offer up a rebate every once in awhile.

23. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

This might be helpful to some folks trying to resolve problems with their MacMall orders. It was posted in the macintouch.com forums last January 2006. I have not tried this number myself and do not know if it is valid.

Rory Zaks, MacMall
    Rory Zaks Senior Vice President General Manager MacMall
    The following special phone number has been setup to address any particular concern: 1-877-204-7055. Upon calling, please leave your name, order number, and phone number so that we may contact you within one business day.

Source:
    http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/consumerissues/topic2979.html#jan28
    http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/consumerissues/topic2979.html#mar11

I too had an issue with MacMall when I purchased my wife's G5 from them a couple of years ago. I was basically told I would receive a rebate if I upgraded my memory at time of purchase, but it turned out I was not eligible for the rebate because I installed the memory myself. This of course was not explained at the time of the purchase.

During the process of trying to sort out the disconnect, my salesperson who during the sale always answered the phone and always returned my calls, never picked up his phone or returned my calls.

Finally out of frustration, I wrote a letter to MacMall customer service, explained my issue, listed all the dates and names of indivudals I'd spoke with and let them know that after spending $5K+ with them over the years I would not be doing business with them again.

One week later I received a call from a MacMall customer service supervisor. She explained that although the rebate was void because I'd installed the memory myself, she would refund the difference between the cost of the memory and the cost of MacMall installing the memory. She also told me one of the individuals I spoke with from customer service (who told me there was nothing MacMall could do for me) was actually not in customer service, but just another salesperson.

So in the end I did get a little satisfaction and there are some individuals at MacMall who want to do right by the customer, but the time and effort involved was not worth it.

24. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I bought a SCSI scanner and a Connectix QuickCam from Mac Mall back in '96...haven't shopped with them since. A friend of mine once got a PowerMac G4 with bad memory from them and had a hassle getting it replaced.

Between the local Apple store, Microcenter and OWC/Newegg online I have all my bases covered.

25. SMM, Jan 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2010

SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I have a current problem with Mac Mall. I ordered an external LaCie drive and iPod as a Christmas gift for one of my staff. The 'next day' package arrived late, but there was no iPod in it. I carefully inspected the box. There was absolutely no visible forensic evidence it had ever been opened and resealed. I called MM customer service. The rep told me they would have to do a cycle count and check with the carrier. I told her, "Fine, but I am not waiting a week for a resolution. I am buying the iPod on the local economy and want you to simply credit my card". I also emailed customer service with the same information. Since then, I have sent them 3 additional emails and received no response, other than the 'auto reply'. I am going to phone them in a few minutes. If they do not give me satisfaction, I am going to file fraud charges against them and have my credit card company debit their account (most people do not know you can do this).