Don't buy Toast 6

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by The Shadow, Nov 12, 2003.

1. The Shadow macrumors regular

For those of you who, like me use Toast to burn you're copied and processed commerical DVD "backups", a word of advice...don't upgrade to Toast 6.

I have found it will not burn DVD videos I have processed with DVD2OneX. Toast 6 invariably thinks what I am trying to burn is too big.

I was relieved is wasn't a Panther problem. As it will burn and run data dvd's, the kind that run on your computer, but not in a regular DVD player.

So until there's a fix, don't waste your money.

2. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

toast 5 does NOT work with panther....as I found out.

So, if you use toast, and panther (I recommend not using panther) you HAVE TO USE TOAST 6.

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Toast 5 works for me in Panter...

4. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

It does otherwise I was hallucinating when I burnt a CD at the weekend:rolleyes:

5. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

do you guys have toast 5.2 then?

I just had 5.11...might be why

6. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Toast 6 Works Perfectly on my System

I have used it to burn everything I have needed it to. It worked using DVD BackUp and DVD2OneX. It works to duplicate my iDVD's. It works to burn DVD's over AirPort through shared recorder burning between a PowerBook and a SuperDrive equipped iMac. I bought Toast 5 Titanium early last year, and I bought 6. I am not a "power user" nor do I know everything about burning media. I just read documentation and get a good understanding about how my Mac hardware/software functions before attempting complex tasks like compressing video and then burning to DVD. I am sorry you had a bad experience with Toast 6: you may indeed be experiencing difficulties, but they are more likely fixable. Head over to the Roxio forums. The only thing that pisses me off about Roxio is no free phone support: I have not had the need to use it, but If I ever do, I don't want to pay 40 dollars in tech support after spending 200 dollars on their software in a year and a half.

7. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Re: Don't buy Toast 6

You cannot use DVD2OneX at its default setting of 4.7 GB. In reality you have to compress the DVD to 4.2 GB I believe (give or take a bit)... that may very well be your problem, not Toast.

8. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Might be the reason... I'm pretty sure I have 5.2 (although until my iBook gets here on Monday from Taiwan I can't tell you for sure).

9. jbooo macrumors member

You are soooo full of it. I have backed up ALL of my DVD's using the same method you outlined and succesfully "burned" them using Toast 6
    Maybe you just don't know what you are doing? Think before you post bashing perfectly good software, advocating to others not to buy something due to your ignorance is not a wise thing to do!

10. amberashby macrumors 6502

Slightly off topic, but has anyone had trouble backing up Finding Nemo?

I get lots of errors in DVD backup and if I ignore them the finished product won't play.

Thanks.

11. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Ahem....

Back it down a notch mate, he was only trying to warn people of a fault he was experiencing with a well-liked and widely used app, that's what these forums are for, a discussion evolves and we all learn a thing or two. Calling someone ignorant for trying to help is going to get you moderated pretty fast, and you really don't want to get modded so soon do you?

Toast 6 runs well for me under Panther, but I rarely copy commercial DVD's so it was valid info, something to watch for.

12. johnnowak macrumors 6502

5.1.1 didn't even work right in later versions of Jaguar. You needed 5.1.4. You need 5.2 for Panther. Works fine.

13. The Shadow thread starter macrumors regular

JBOO

If what you say is true, which I very much doubt, then you are a lucky exception. Good for you.

I am merely trying to help young people like yourself to save some money.

If you go to the DVD2oneX site you'll see a whole thread of people who experienced difficulties and can't get it to work with Toast 6.

As to whether I am just bashing a good program, that's just ridiculous. I originally posted this as a handy hint in the Private Talk forum. It was not meant for the general public, but a moderator moved it.