Don't do the right thing

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by saunders45, Apr 3, 2006.

1. mlw1235 macrumors 6502

2. rockandrule macrumors 6502

Surprised that wasn't a school in Florida. Unfortunate to say the least.

3. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

Wow, no people have common sense anymore. I'd like to give that principle a piece of my mind :)

4. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

School administrators have "immediate consequences" poured in their ears during their professional development sessions and much of it too often clouds their ability to make reasonable judgments.

There's so much concern in schools to keep the "cover" on potential "crises." All this concern over violence in schools hides the socio-economic crises we face every minute of every day.

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Exactly. If I were the father of another kid in this district, I'd tell him or her, "if you ever accidentally bring a swiss army knife or anything like that to school, keep it in your bag and absolutely do NOT turn it in the office."

The stupidity here is just stunning. This is why "zero tolerance" makes zero sense. :rolleyes:

6. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

What a crime! The administration at schools are so stupid. So many of my friends have received suspensions for getting beat-up by other kids. This doesn't surprise me. I wouldn't tell my kids to just keep the knife disclosed though. Continue to do the right thing and turn it in. Just sue the s*** out of the school when they do something like this. This is completely unaccpetable!

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Proof yet again that no good deed goes unpunished.

Not to mention an object lesson to other kids: honesty doesn't pay.

8. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

I just can't grasp this concept. Can someone please explain to me why everything is so fracking backwards?!? This kid did a GOOD thing, which took BALLS. What kind of lesson are we sending to children by enforcing this particular punishment? If you stand up for what is right you get screwed? It's sad but this is so often the case. I know from personal experience. I can't believe I'm about to say this, this NEVER happens, but I am speechless. Yes, I am sitting here with my jaw on the ground and the most exaggerated slack-jawed yokel expression you could possibly conjure.

9. emaja macrumors 68000

"Zero tolerance" is the refuge of the incompetent.

I can hear the principal now, "I have no choice - because I have no brain or testicular fortitute - but to suspend you and recommend your expulsion."

10. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Hmm, heres a brilliant idea...lets publicly make an example of a model student making a responsible choice by expelling him.

I am so happy that these morons are educating my generation. It makes me warm and fuzzy inside. :rolleyes:

11. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

well considering america is a place where bombing a foreign country for it's oil is the "right thing" because "god" told you so, this shouldn't surprise me.

Anyone disgusted with this I welcome you to Canada.

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

13. mintlivedotcom macrumors regular

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Say, that bulletin board software looks familiar! :D

I did check it out, and look at what someone named Brian McQueen posted:

Nice, huh?

Elsewhere on that board there are testimonials from people who know the kid, Elliot, and swear he's a nice, good kid who doesn't deserve this.

Sounds like that principal is the one who needs an expulsion.

15. Motley macrumors 6502

Schools rock don't they?

I remember in my high school after an AP exam that took 75% of the day about 90% of the students left school to relax (I didn't), with permission slips from their parents. This made the principal unhappy so he suspended them for one day. I thought it was hilarious that the top students of the school were punished by being given a day off and even better all the AP classes ended up being study halls because so many of the students were out with suspension.

16. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

If this were my kid I'd rip the principal up one side and down the other. I know it wouldn't do any good, and it wouldn't make anyone feel any better - except my kid. I would make sure my kid knew I was on his side.

Then we'd have a long discussion about stupid people in positions of power and how to avoid confrontation with them. Including lying to their faces when appropriate.

17. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I'm glad I went to high school in the seventies, in a rural area. I carried a swiss army knife with me every day for seven years (and still have it). It came in useful once to help a teacher open a stuck closet door.

18. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I can't even begin to say how ridiculous that is. Hopefully they'll be able to sue the school for his slipping grades. Making the best out of this screwed up system.

19. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Wow, yeah wand your freaking kids.... who is this guy?

He should have taken the knife home?
    Thrown it out?

Things cost money! taking it home? You mean cutting class?

GOD

20. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I think it is better to go to a different school, who'd want such a principal anyway. Just switch schools, concentrate on studying again and learn that honesty isn't always the best way. :rolleyes:

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I just wrote an email to the principal.

It was a well written email except at the end, where I briefly mentioned the "jawdropping stupidity" he just displayed as principal. ;)

22. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

You got too much time on your hands? :p
    Do you think someone THAT ignorant and self-indulging will actually read your email, nevermind give it a thought?

23. aquajet macrumors 68020