Dont get me wrong....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nitynate, Nov 24, 2006.

1. nitynate macrumors 6502a

I love apple and all of the great products they manufacture, but I am really disappointed in apple's in-ear headphones.

I usually use my E2c's by Shure, and they do me well most of the time, but after over a year of use, they became a wee bit brittle and they are in for service and will be back sometime next week. I purchased apple's in ear headphones as, hey! They were only $40 and were very attractive looking and I needed something that blocks some outside noise that will stay in my ear to hold me off until next week, and I figured to just give em to a friend when I got my Shures back.
    I got the apple in ear headphones today, and to let you know very bluntly, they suck. Very badly.
    Very uncomfortable, almost painful. Music sounds surreal. Earpieces sticky-ish. I could go on and on.
    They were a waste of money, and BestBuy wont take them back.
    I am just going to give them to my friend when school starts back up on Monday. They are an insult to apple. And I am embarrassed for apple.

A word of advice, just spend the extra $60 and get a pair of E2c's, they even have a 3 year warranty. :)

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

the in-ears are not uncomfortable for me, but the quality is really not that great. for $40, what do you expect? i only use them at the gym and when i'm home, i'll use either external speakers or my big, over-the-ear Sony headphones.

i've heard good things about the Shures, too.

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You suck.

Comparing Shures to Apples Ear buds. This is absolutely ridiculous. hahahahaha

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

good point. not the "you suck" part.

5. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Try the foam covers from your Shure phones on your Apple in-ear phones. According to playlist mag, shure e2c covers not only fit Apple $40 in-ear phones (making them actually stay in your ears!), but they improve the sound as well.

6. nitynate thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh my gosh.

Thats amazing.
    There in now!!
    And they sound decent.

And the only reason I was comparing them is because they are only $60 in price difference.
    Thats much nicer.
    There just hideous now. Haha. Although I am still waiting for my shure's.

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Apple's ear buds might not be the best you can get, but I find them to be much better than the ones normally bundled with most MP3 players. :)

8. nitynate thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

They look really uncomfortable :(

Looking at the Feedback on the Apple Store shows how hard it is to please everyone, but many people love them.

10. nitynate thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah.
    They look nice, but very uncomfortable.
    I guess they would be better if my ears were bigger or smaller?

11. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

I'd like to see you go design some earbuds then...don't get me wrong :rolleyes:

12. nitynate thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just for you.

[​IMG]

13. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

14. nitynate thread starter macrumors 6502a

Twas all good. :)
    Just take my word of advice. Dont waste your money. :)

15. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I just got Shure e2c foam covers for my Apple in-ear headphones for Christmas, and they really do make an amazing difference. With Apple's stock silicone covers, the earphones sounded iffy unless you got a perfect seal in your ear, and I found a good seal impossible to maintain with all 3 cover sizes. With Shure covers on, they sound very good and are actually legitimately comfortable. I wish I had a camera here to show everyone what they look like, but they are so obviously hideous that I like them. Just picture orange foam tubes extending almost a cm from iPod earphones and you'll get the general idea.

16. mufflon macrumors 6502

I always wreck the stuff I use :(
    so I always end up with the most basic earbuds there is - the apple non-in-ear-ones work just fine for me, but it's nice to know there's a crowd of people thinking otherwise.

Oh and if you would compare the in-ear ones with the standard ones, independant of brand, will it really make that much of a difference? (yeah I know I'm straying a bit off-topic(ish))

17. djelite macrumors member

the apple in-ears worked fine for me. they aren't the best in the world but they do not suck.

i tend to hate regular earbuds (like the ones bundled with the ipod)- they make my ears hurt. but i got a set of the apple in-ears and they fit me fine and got a decent seal in my ears and worked FINE. now- on the actual sound- it is better than the standard 'buds but i found it to be a little harsh up top and a little shy on bass. nothing a little EQ cant help- "treble reducer" i found worked wonders on these.

then again, i'm getting a pair of Shure E2C's as soon as I can afford it, FWIW.

18. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

you can get shure e2's for around US60 on eBay....i reccomend that, if you need an authorized seller that will match any price PM Me...

but ya you cant compare apple-in ear's to Shure's its not fair...

19. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

Chill out people. personally, I think it is fair, if apple is going to produce some earbuds that one can purchase after the fact, they could at least make decent ones. Sony in ear headphones are about 1/2 the price, sound better, and are much more comfortable.

20. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Idk. I use them and I like them just fine. I do agree however they do sound a bit surreal.

21. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

No, it's not a fair comparison. My Ferrari F430 (don't have one) is faster than your V6 Mustang.

22. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

WRONG. E2's are not 10 times the price of the apple ear phones, they're twice the price. At least my Mustang isn't twice as much as it's competition. Apple headphones are crap and deserve to be pounded. They're not high end, not medium, not low, just CRAP.

23. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

they arent a peace of crap, they might be overpriced slightly, but they could be worse....anyway who said ten times...the most ive seen someone say is 2 times (i.e. half the price)